GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Water lilly plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/14197-water-lilly-plant.html)

jammer 08-04-2003 04:32 AM

Water lilly plant

All i know is that i overwinter it on the bottom of the pond and i
doubt it's anything fancy. I have the sixth leave coming to the
surface in 3 weeks. The pot is only 6 inches below water level but i
keep reading that lotus and lillies grow on the bottom of the pond.

Dumb question: Do i put them back 18 inches down and forget about
them? Also there was some discussion about large pots, this is a 4-5
inch pot. Do i need a bigger one?

As always, thanks.

bern muller 08-04-2003 04:56 AM

Water lilly plant

jammer wrote in message

surface in 3 weeks. The pot is only 6 inches below water level but i
keep reading that lotus and lillies grow on the bottom of the pond.

I have one lilly that is a super big grower, and prefers sitting about 2.5
feet down. Most of my lillies are about 8" to 10" below the surface.

Dumb question: Do i put them back 18 inches down and forget about
them?

You can try it. Some of them may do very well. You have a very hot climate,
so some lillies may prefer the cooler water deeper down.

Also there was some discussion about large pots, this is a 4-5
inch pot. Do i need a bigger one?

All my lillies are in 15 to 20 quart pots. And the hardies fill them to
bursting in a couple of years. The tropicals seem to do OK in smaller pots
and do not spread much.

Jim 08-04-2003 01:32 PM

Water lilly plant

Do i put them back 18 inches down and forget about them?

My lilies are 18'-20" deep.

this is a 4-5 inch pot. Do i need a bigger one?

I would think your plants will overgrow the 4-5 inch pots you're
using. Mine are in 10" pots.

Zone 7 fort worth

Zone 8a - Dallas :)

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248

jammer 08-04-2003 06:56 PM

Water lilly plant

Thank you. I trust you people so much, I wouldn't do anything until i
heard back. We are having that freeze tonight, so i will wait for
tomorrow. Larger pot and sink it...thanks. (pond 18 inches deep)

Jerrispond 09-04-2003 12:44 AM

Water lilly plant

Do i put them back 18 inches down and forget about them?this is a 4-5 inch
pot. Do i need a bigger one?

The depth and size of the pot depend on the type lily that is in them...There
are some very small lilies that should be only 2 to 6 inches deep, and some
that will go down 4 or 5 feet deep. I would say that MOST lilies will do just
fine at 18 inches....I think even a small lily needes a bigger pot. All my
lily pots are about 12 inches across or larger, but they don't usually have to
be divided every year in a really big pot.....There is not a pot too big for
lilies. Jerri

jammer 10-04-2003 05:56 AM

Water lilly plant

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 07:23:45 -0500, Jim wrote:

Do i put them back 18 inches down and forget about them?

My lilies are 18'-20" deep.

this is a 4-5 inch pot. Do i need a bigger one?

I would think your plants will overgrow the 4-5 inch pots you're
using. Mine are in 10" pots.

The lilly was re-potted in a 5x10 pot and sunk to 18 inches. It lookes
like a healthy plant. Maybe i will actually get a flower although i
don't care if i don't.
Thanks