Old 07-04-2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.ponds
jps_1974

Default Pond Newbie needing help

I have a problem with a couple of fish within my pond. I have noticed
today that one of the shubunkins has developed a "growth" around its
tail. I have looked through a couple of books I have on basic pond
management but none of them seem to identify the problem. This fish
seems to have what can only be described as candy floss or a cloud from
its fins back and covers the entire fish. The fish can swim fine but
tends to stay away from the others and will just lay on the bottom of
the pond.

Looking on the internet there are several pictures that look similar to
this but all give different answers. For a moment I have removed the
fish and put it into isolation but suspect that this may be too late
for my other fish.

A second goldfish has bloated around the middle. This could be due to
spawning but think that they could be linked.

Any advice or help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

jps_1974

Old 07-04-2006, 03:50 PM posted to rec.ponds

candy floss is probably columnaris
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/d...htm#COLUMNARIS
bloat is probably dropsy
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/d...ame.htm#dropsy

"jps_1974" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 07-04-2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On 7 Apr 2006 05:08:17 -0700, "jps_1974" wrote:

I have a problem with a couple of fish within my pond. I have noticed
today that one of the shubunkins has developed a "growth" around its
tail.

After checking over Ingrid's website you might want a diagnostic on your
pond:

Sick Fish or Sick Pond Form

Please describe your problem, including fish characteristics, like;
whirling, flashing, gasping at surface, wounds, etc.:

Pond Size in Gallons? (litres*.26=US Gallons):

Water Source (Well, Irrigation, City?)
If City how is water treated?: =

Time in Operation?
(How old is the pond/water?):

Liner type? (EPDM,PVC,RUBBER,Cement/Concrete etc):

Fish Population?
Type? Size? QTY, Time in Pond:

Food? Type and Frequency of feedings.:

Pump Type, IN/OUT of pond, GPH etc
(Describe your filtration system as well as possible):

Prefilter media type? Last cleaned?:

Filter is BIO or Mechanical? Last cleaned? How?:

Carbon added? How much? When last changed?:

Aeration? Waterfalls? Bubblers?
Venturies?:

Water Temp?

pH?:

KH?:

Ammonia (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrite (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrate (ppm or mg/l):

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?:

Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):

Additives used (water conditioners etc):

Tests done by self or another?:

Weather (what's it been like lately?):

Medications used?:

What Zone or Country of residence?: