Old 07-04-2006, 04:12 PM posted to rec.ponds
DB01

Default when can i replace dead pond goldfish

I lost all my goldfish during one of the cold periods this winter. they were
4 yeards old

Old 07-04-2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"DB01" wrote in message
I lost all my goldfish during one of the cold periods this winter. they
were 4 yeards old

===============
Anytime if the place you're buying them from keeps them outdoors and is
local. Are you sure it was the cold that killed them as they're very cold
resistant.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 07-04-2006, 05:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

DB01 wrote:
I lost all my goldfish during one of the cold periods this winter. they were
4 yeards old

what part of the world are you in and how cold did it actually get?
Old 07-04-2006, 05:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 15:12:07 GMT, "DB01" wrote:

I lost all my goldfish during one of the cold periods this winter. they were
4 yeards old

Do a 50% water change, wait till the temperatures of the water get up in
the 70's (if buying inside fish), take a water sample to the Fish Store. If
all checks out, buy 2 GF.

Why do you think you lost them this year? Too many, no aeration, power
outage? ~ jan
~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 07-04-2006, 05:49 PM posted to rec.ponds
DB01

wrote:

I lost all my goldfish during one of the cold periods this winter. they
were
4 yeards old

Do a 50% water change, wait till the temperatures of the water get up in
the 70's (if buying inside fish), take a water sample to the Fish Store.
If
all checks out, buy 2 GF.

Why do you think you lost them this year? Too many, no aeration, power
outage? ~ jan
~ jan/WA
Zone 7a

I live in berkshire, se england

the temp. was not worse than previous years but was a very sudden drop
I think the waters OK cos one of the 3 frogs from last year has appeared

thanx for the quick responces. Is there any test i ca carry out?

Old 07-04-2006, 05:58 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

wrote:

I lost all my goldfish during one of the cold periods this winter. they
were
4 yeards old

Do a 50% water change, wait till the temperatures of the water get up in
the 70's (if buying inside fish), take a water sample to the Fish Store.
If
all checks out, buy 2 GF.

Why do you think you lost them this year? Too many, no aeration, power
outage? ~ jan
~ jan/WA
Zone 7a

I live in berkshire, se england

the temp. was not worse than previous years but was a very sudden drop
I think the waters OK cos one of the 3 frogs from last year has appeared

thanx for the quick responces. Is there any test i ca carry out?

The weather was pretty strange this winter where you live. Going from
mild to very sudden cold snaps with it not getting much above freezing
during the day and bitter at night. I don't have any outdoor fish at the
moment but I certainly lost a lot of very hardy plants this winter...

My guess is that you are right and it was the temperature swings that
are the cause of your fish losses...

Gill
Old 07-04-2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Do a 50% water change, wait till the temperatures of the water get up in
the 70's (if buying inside fish), take a water sample to the Fish Store.
If all checks out, buy 2 GF. ~ jan

"DB01" wrote:

I live in berkshire, se england

the temp. was not worse than previous years but was a very sudden drop
I think the waters OK cos one of the 3 frogs from last year has appeared

Frogs can put up with different water parameters than fish. They don't have
to "breath" the water. )

thanx for the quick responces. Is there any test i ca carry out?

The tests I recommend are Ammonia, Nitrite, pH & KH. Results from those
tell me the most about someone's pond. Your local fish/pet store may test
the water for you. Gill would know what is offered in your part of the
world, as she is far closer to you, by a few miles, than I. ;o) ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 07-04-2006, 06:37 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"DB01" wrote in message
the temp. was not worse than previous years but was a very sudden drop
I think the waters OK cos one of the 3 frogs from last year has appeared

===============
Please do not go by frogs as they can live in water unfit for fish.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
rec.pond's FAQ are at:
http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 07-04-2006, 11:13 PM posted to rec.ponds

sudden drops in temp can bring in ich. and the fish are coming out of a long period
with no food, so they are weak and their immune system is down if the water temp is
less than 55oF.
it is important to grab one of those fish and do the physical on it if it hasnt been
dead too long. the diagnosis is for live fish, but can do it on fresh dead
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/disease/technique/technique.html#Jo_Ann's_Fish_Physical
post mortem changes, the gills go white, the slime coat thicks up really fast. but
inside the fish possible to see if there is infection, if the liver is huge or gone,
etc. http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/d...e/gf_anat.html
Ingrid

"DB01" wrote:
I live in berkshire, se england

the temp. was not worse than previous years but was a very sudden drop
I think the waters OK cos one of the 3 frogs from last year has appeared

thanx for the quick responces. Is there any test i ca carry out?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 08-04-2006, 12:30 PM posted to rec.ponds
BoyPete

wrote:

I lost all my goldfish during one of the cold periods this winter.
they were
4 yeards old

Do a 50% water change, wait till the temperatures of the water get
up in the 70's (if buying inside fish), take a water sample to the
Fish Store. If
all checks out, buy 2 GF.

Why do you think you lost them this year? Too many, no aeration,
power outage? ~ jan
~ jan/WA
Zone 7a

I live in berkshire, se england

the temp. was not worse than previous years but was a very sudden drop
I think the waters OK cos one of the 3 frogs from last year has
appeared
thanx for the quick responces. Is there any test i ca carry out?

Can you get to Maidenhead Aquatics?
Wyevale Country Gardens
Turnpike Road
Thatcham
Berks
Tel: 0635869900

I'm sure they will test your water for you.

--
ßôyþëtë

Old 08-04-2006, 01:07 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

BoyPete wrote:
DB01 wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Most of the MAs will do this but might be worth phoning first...
Old 08-04-2006, 01:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
DB01

I lost all my goldfish during one of the cold periods this winter.
they were
4 yeards old

Do a 50% water change, wait till to the
Fish Store. If
all checks out, buy 2 GF.

Why do you think you lost them this year? Too many, no aeration,
power outage? ~ jan
~ jan/WA
Zone 7a

I live in berkshire, se england

the temp. was not worse than previous years but was a very sudden drop
I think the waters OK cos one of the 3 frogs from last year has
appeared
thanx for the quick responces. Is there any test i ca carry out?

Can you get to Maidenhead Aquatics?
Wyevale Country Gardens
Turnpike Road
Thatcham
Berks
Tel: 0635869900

I'm sure they will test your water for you.

Most of the MAs will do this but might be worth phoning first...

thanx to all who replied.
I will get the water tested before re stocking

the nearest stockest to me is Norcutts on the A30(near Bagshot) where i
bought the fish