Old 12-04-2006, 06:35 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Books & articles descibing the major components of pond (aquatic system perspective).

Can anybodey recomend a good book (or internet article) on designing
ponds from a technical stand point (as in filters, substrate, plumbing,
settlment tanks, pumps & skimmers).

So far Ive dug a 6000ltr hole (level at the top and bricked around the
circumrrence) and built a 3.6mtr span bridge over it. I have also added
a soakwell to catch run off, but have not plubed it yet, nor lined the
pond.. I have also created a large briked in section capable of holding
a pump. Thus my hard labour part is done,,,,

I am interested in knowing what are the major components of a pond
(other than the basin) and what are main solotions employed to achive
each of the components.

Should my pond use substrate, what kind of fillters do what kind of
work, what materials are best. e.c.t.

I prefer a book that dosn't oversimplify things....

Any recomendations.

-dm

Old 12-04-2006, 03:30 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On 11 Apr 2006 22:35:44 -0700, wrote:

Can anybodey recomend a good book (or internet article) on designing
ponds from a technical stand point (as in filters, substrate, plumbing,
settlment tanks, pumps & skimmers).

I prefer a book that dosn't oversimplify things....

www.akca.org Click on Koi Health Advisor and you'll see articles on just
what you're looking for. Also, if you sign-in to www.koiphen.com you find
pictures/schematics/diagrams of what other people have done.

Hope you keep posting and letting us know how it is going, what you decided
to do, etc. ~ jan
Old 13-04-2006, 03:59 AM posted to rec.ponds

Thanks mate.

The web site was pretty hard to get around but when I finaly found the
articals they were A+.

My local water tastes great looks cleen but realy sucks in my
aquariums. It is soooo alkiline... I will truck in 2000 ltr from my
local river to fill 1 thrird of the pond....

-dm