Old 16-04-2006, 07:40 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default anything better than bio balls?

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 01:33:59 -0700, lurker lurker@ wrote:

ive had 12 bioballs in my canister for months now and they seem to be
pointless. can anyone recomend something they may work better. the
canister uses a sponge and theres plenty of free space.

thanks for any tips

You could get some of those ceramic pieces for Fluval filters at the pet
store. ~ jan

-----------------
Old 16-04-2006, 07:59 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"lurker" lurker@ wrote in message
ive had 12 bioballs in my canister for months now and they seem to be
pointless.

What are you trying to accomplish? Bio filtration or mechanical filtration
or both? How do you know they're pointless?

can anyone recomend something they may work better.

In what way? Is your water cloudy? Smelly?

the
canister uses a sponge and theres plenty of free space.

Try adding another sponge and a bag of those smaller bi-beads.

thanks for any tips

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 16-04-2006, 08:46 AM posted to rec.ponds
Kathy

"lurker" lurker@ wrote in message
ive had 12 bioballs in my canister for months now and they seem to be
pointless. can anyone recomend something they may work better. the
canister uses a sponge and theres plenty of free space.

thanks for any tip

Can't you just cut up the blue furnace filters, like we do for the laundry
basket filters ( small version of the "Skippy" filters) ? At least that is
what I do, and it works great. I only clean filters in spring and early
fall. I put them in the green canister filter, and have a basket of them
around the pumps. the plants and fish seem to get all balanced out, so I
don't have to really do anything most of the year. Well except for like now,
when I have to repot my lilies, and devide a lot of the other stuff.
This is the 5th year and all I do is wash them out and reuse them. They are
lasting forever, well...... 5 years so far. Got a large fiberfill seat
cushion I found at JoAnn's ( a fabric store that we have here) last spring
for the oak barrel waterfall and it works great also. Just rounded the
corners, and fit it in the barrel, put the hose in the bottom and plants on
top, sort of a mini bog? I just couldn't get those balls to do anything
about keeping my water clear, and the thin foam circles that came with them
got clogged way too fast..
Kathy in AZ

Old 16-04-2006, 03:02 PM posted to rec.ponds
Wilmdale

lurker wrote:

ive had 12 bioballs in my canister for months now and they seem to be
pointless. can anyone recomend something they may work better. the
canister uses a sponge and theres plenty of free space.

thanks for any tips

I don't know if it will work in your container if it is made
specifically of the bio balls, but I use cut up scrubber pads. They are
pretty much indestructible, easy to clean, and work great for me. I'll
send you a thumbnail of my set up.
W. Dale

Old 16-04-2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.ponds
Wilmdale

lurker wrote:

ive had 12 bioballs in my canister for months now and they seem to be
pointless. can anyone recomend something they may work better. the
canister uses a sponge and theres plenty of free space.

thanks for any tips

Hi, Lurker,
I just added a few pictures to my pond site showing my bio-mechanical
filters with the cut up scrubber pads. You should be able to click on
the link below to check them out. The scrubber pads also are great for
plant roots too!
W. Dale

Old 16-04-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

"Wilmdale" wrote in message
lurker wrote:

ive had 12 bioballs in my canister for months now and they seem to be
pointless. can anyone recomend something they may work better. the
canister uses a sponge and theres plenty of free space.

thanks for any tips

Hi, Lurker,
I just added a few pictures to my pond site showing my bio-mechanical
filters with the cut up scrubber pads. You should be able to click on
the link below to check them out. The scrubber pads also are great for
plant roots too!
W. Dale

Looking around....

(o ) (o )

( o) ( o)

Link below??

Old 16-04-2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Wilmdale" wrote in message
lurker wrote:

ive had 12 bioballs in my canister for months now and they seem to be
pointless. can anyone recomend something they may work better. the
canister uses a sponge and theres plenty of free space.

thanks for any tips

Hi, Lurker,
I just added a few pictures to my pond site showing my bio-mechanical
filters with the cut up scrubber pads. You should be able to click on
the link below to check them out. The scrubber pads also are great for
plant roots too!
W. Dale

Looking around....

(o ) (o )

( o) ( o)

Link below??

Me too! I'm ready to modify my pond filter
setup and I'm looking for ideas. Pictures are
great...

Gail

Old 17-04-2006, 01:58 AM posted to rec.ponds
Wilmdale

Gareee© wrote:

"Wilmdale" wrote in message

lurker wrote:

ive had 12 bioballs in my canister for months now and they seem to be
pointless. can anyone recomend something they may work better. the
canister uses a sponge and theres plenty of free space.

thanks for any tips

Hi, Lurker,
I just added a few pictures to my pond site showing my bio-mechanical
filters with the cut up scrubber pads. You should be able to click on
the link below to check them out. The scrubber pads also are great for
plant roots too!
W. Dale

Looking around....

(o ) (o )

( o) ( o)

Link below??

Shoot. I thought it would attach automatically as it is part of my
e-signature and card... but here we go...

http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib/

You may have to cut and past... :-)
W. Dale

Old 17-04-2006, 04:56 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

"Wilmdale" wrote in message
[snip]
Shoot. I thought it would attach automatically as it is part of my
e-signature and card... but here we go...

http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib/

You may have to cut and past... :-)
W. Dale

Link works just fine. Thanks!
Gorgeous setup.

Gail

Old 17-04-2006, 06:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
Kathy

"Wilmdale" wrote in message ...
Gareee© wrote:

"Wilmdale" wrote in message
lurker wrote:

[...]

Great pond set up! we started with 2 150's on the screened in porch, then last year we put a 300 in the yard. Your pictures are just what I needed to show my hubby what I want to do . If we stagger two more ponds up the hill and add more wall we can do it all without digging!! We are on almost solid rock. So we have to be inventive in our land scape. Thank you so much for letting us visit your yard. Kathy in AZ

Old 19-04-2006, 02:17 PM posted to rec.ponds
Wilmdale

Kathy wrote:

Shoot. I thought it would attach automatically as it is part of
my e-signature and card... but here we go...

http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib/

You may have to cut and past... :-)
W. Dale

Great pond set up! we started with 2 150's on the screened in
porch, then last year we put a 300 in the yard. Your pictures are
just what I needed to show my hubby what I want to do . If we
stagger two more ponds up the hill and add more wall we can do it
all without digging!! We are on almost solid rock. So we have to
be inventive in our land scape. Thank you so much for letting us
visit your yard. Kathy in AZ

You are most welcome!
W. Dale