Old 14-04-2006, 06:55 PM posted to rec.ponds
TomW

Default Pump Replacement Recommendation

Looking for advice on replacing my Aquascape 1500.

I want to keep the flow as close as possible to the 1500, a little less
would be OK. I've found pumps with a higher flow rate, but my setup is
already at the limit & I don't really want to use extra power & have to
add another discharge to dump off the extra flow.

TIA.

TomW

Old 14-04-2006, 07:53 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"TomW" wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking for advice on replacing my Aquascape 1500.

I want to keep the flow as close as possible to the 1500, a little less
would be OK. I've found pumps with a higher flow rate, but my setup is
already at the limit & I don't really want to use extra power & have to
add another discharge to dump off the extra flow.

You didn't specify the head height.

http://www.lgpc.com/Product/ItemDeta...?ProductID=194
At a 5' head, it pumps out 1200 gph, it's similar to what I currently have,
though the model number has changed.

-S

Old 14-04-2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.ponds
TomW

I am not sure of the head, but I would guess about 3 feet. The output
is 2" on the old pump, so your suggestion may not be a good fit. You
would want it to be about the same to keep a similar pressure and flow,
right?

-TomW

Old 14-04-2006, 11:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"TomW" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am not sure of the head, but I would guess about 3 feet. The output
is 2" on the old pump, so your suggestion may not be a good fit. You
would want it to be about the same to keep a similar pressure and flow,
right?

This the pump you currently have?
http://www.aquascapedesigns.com/prod...?id=66&catid=3
That's a rather beefy pump looking pump, unfortunately their website doesn't
list product specs.

This appears to be little giant's equivalent, but well out of the range of
products I'm familiar with.
http://www.watermarksolutions.ws/Pro...t egoryID=123

If that link doesn't work, use this: http://xrl.us/kuw9

-S

Old 15-04-2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
TomW

Looks like that pump is not submersible. I'm locating the pump at the
bottom of the skimmer box, so I'm not sure that one would work either.

You did point out the pump I currently have. I'm sure not getting
another one of those. No response from the manufacturer. Failure after
only 22 months of use.

Looks like I may have to rework my current connections. With the pump
you suggested, how do you prime it? Where do you locate an external
pump in a pond setup?

Old 15-04-2006, 08:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On 15 Apr 2006 05:44:47 -0700, "TomW" wrote:

Looks like that pump is not submersible. I'm locating the pump at the
bottom of the skimmer box, so I'm not sure that one would work either.

You did point out the pump I currently have. I'm sure not getting
another one of those. No response from the manufacturer. Failure after
only 22 months of use.

Looks like I may have to rework my current connections. With the pump
you suggested, how do you prime it? Where do you locate an external
pump in a pond setup?

If you're looking for a submersible, check out the Danner Mag-Drive website
or perhaps a Beckett. You mentioned having an Aquascape designed pond?

To do an external pump it would go after the skimmer and pump to the falls
bio-filter.

For long life on a submersible they need to run as clean as water thru them
as possible. The dirtier the water the shorter the life span. That said
though, I have a Little Giant, that use to be in the bottom of my pond,
that I now use as the filter muck out pump, so not continual use. Still
going after 11 years! (Knock on Wood) Like most things, it all depends on
what day of the week something was put together at the factory. ;o) ~ jan

-----------------
Old 16-04-2006, 01:25 AM posted to rec.ponds
TomW

Well, I bit the bullet. I bought and installed a Little Giant WGP-65-PW
today.

I had to yank a lot of the aquascape fittings, but I used 1-1/4 PVC,
check valve, etc and some adapters to fit the pump to the 1-1/2 flex
PVC that runs from the skimmer box to the falls.

It's 30 watts more, but the end result works and the flow is
equivalent.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. If anyone needs details,
feel free to email me. Happy Easter!

-TomW

Old 16-04-2006, 01:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
TomW

Final note: I heard from Aquascape on my failed pump. They told me to
contact the landscaper as they don't deal with the retail public.
Unfortunately, I haven't heard from the pond installer for 2 years.
Just something to think about if you're considering buying one of these
online.

Old 16-04-2006, 01:56 PM posted to rec.ponds
Wilmdale

I am using a Sequence pump. So far so good! Quiet, powerful
(5800SEQ23), and easy to set up. I probably should get some sort of
cover for it even though they say they are designed to operate out in
the open. No problems today even though it has been through some pretty
good hail storms and a few thunderstorms.

Much to my surprise when I was having trouble with the priming pot I
purchased from them through AZ Ponds, the people at MDM, Inc., responded
promptly to my e-mail and as I would looking at their site noticed that
the pumps are manufactured right here in Colorado Springs! A quick trip
to the factory yielded new fittings for the pot, some great discussion
on ponds and pump setup, location, and configurations.
AZ Ponds have also been pretty good to work with if you get the right
person on the phone. They make no claim to be pond experts, just
sellers of equipment and all. But they do give you some great deals. I
wanted a medium size pump for my main filters and a smaller one for my
skimmer and veggie filter. They did not have the smaller one so they
sold me a second medium sized one for the price of the small one. No
shipping charges.

W. Dale

Old 17-04-2006, 03:30 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

TomW wrote:

Final note: I heard from Aquascape on my failed pump. They told me to
contact the landscaper as they don't deal with the retail public.
Unfortunately, I haven't heard from the pond installer for 2 years.
Just something to think about if you're considering buying one of these
online.

Be sure to mention to them that you bought a competitor's pump. Companies
tend to react to loss of customers when nothing else will wake them. It's
one thing to promise your retailers that you won't compete with them, it's
completely different to provide no aftermarket support to your customers -
especially in a field filled with transitory companies.
--
derek

Old 17-04-2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.ponds
Andrew Burgess

Wilmdale writes:

I am using a Sequence pump. So far so good! Quiet, powerful

Much to my surprise when I was having trouble with the priming pot I
purchased from them through AZ Ponds, the people at MDM, Inc., responded
promptly to my e-mail

I bought my sequence pump from AZ about 10 years ago, they had the lowest price
at the time. Years later when I was curious about the pressure/flow
characteristics of the pump I was dismayed to find it discontinued and not on
MDM's website. I emailed MDM and though it took 2 weeks, they emailed me the
pdf spec sheet for my pump.

I recommend both companies!