Old 08-04-2003, 08:32 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Do Shubunkin eat tadpoles?

Hi,

we have had a pond for several years, with goldfish in, and always had a
good crop of tadpoles and baby frogs.

We had the usual crop of tadpoles last year, but didn't see any baby frogs.

The only difference I can see is our Shubunkin - we put five in the pond
four or five years back and the single survivor is now much larger than our
goldfish.

It is getting to the size of Koi Carp and I was wondering if beyons a
certain size the Shubunkin has a big enough mouth (and the inclination) to
eat tadpoles.

We have also had two generations of baby goldfish, but none recently, and so
there is also the worry that a large fish may be eating little baby fish
also.

If this is so we will refrain from ceremonial fish and chips and donate the
big fella to a pond which doesn't also contain wildlife :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Old 08-04-2003, 09:20 PM
K30a

Yes, I would suspect the big Shubunkin.
Goldfish just tend to nibble along and eat
whatever they come across.

Other culprits could be a snake, a bullfrog, dragonfly and damselfly nymphs and
any number of insect larvae.

k30a
Old 13-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Coracle

All fish eat frog tadpoles with vervour, they don't like toad tadpoles very
much though, they tend to spit them out.

Old 19-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Good observation. We get thousands of toad tadpoles and babies in our main
pond. No frog tadpoles. Our veggie filters, however, are naother story.
The tree and leopard frogs that lay eggs there are more fortunate. Lots of
tadpoles and babies.

If you have to be a tadpole in a fish pond, toad is the way to go!

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 12-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Lisa Tetzlaff

I have lots of tadpoles and several different fish. I have seen my goldfish
spit out tadpoles. I have seen my shubunkin eat tadpoles and some of the
eggs.

Old 12-05-2003, 04:58 PM
Nedra

The taddies that the goldfish spit out are toad-taddies.
Taste just terrible. In fact most fish avoid eating both
the taddie and the toad. Frogs are yummy! All of the
frog taddies & the frog itself are edible.

Nedra

Old 13-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Roger Grady

"Nedra" wrote:

The taddies that the goldfish spit out are toad-taddies.
Taste just terrible. In fact most fish avoid eating both
the taddie and the toad. Frogs are yummy! All of the
frog taddies & the frog itself are edible.

Somebody in my pond must have been awfullly hungry this spring. I had
lots of toad eggs but not a one of the toadpoles survived. I saw just
a few tiny toadpoles but not for long. Last year I had scads of
toadpoles, but I also had a lot of string algae, and this year there's
none. I wonder if the lack of places to hide right after they hatched
was their undoing.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

Old 13-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Nedra

I don't have a clue what happens to the toad taddies. Mine
disappear too. Actually I'm not too worried ... if they
leave I deon't have to worry about them ;-)

Nedra