Old 27-04-2006, 09:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Ichabon - small and large

You must have a much different set up than I do then.

You can view it on my website, click on *My Filter* and there are more
pictures on the *Demon Pond filter* page also.

There are no prefilters.

That's why you're needing to clean the pads so often. Pumps in the pond
protected by screening or mesh baskets don't let the solids thru as solid.
Thus the muck is all fine.

The pond is 2000g and is the largest Tetra filter we could find at the time.

How many gallons of water do you think your Tetra filter holds?

I think that's just the nature of the beast. A smaller filter is going to
take more maintenance more often. Doesn't mean it isn't do the job of
filter conversion. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 01-05-2006, 04:23 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Ichabon - small and large - filters

*Note: There are TWO "Koi-Lo's" on this NG*

"~ janj" wrote in message
You must have a much different set up than I do then.

You can view it on my website, click on *My Filter* and there are more
pictures on the *Demon Pond filter* page also.

I'll check it out. I haven't been to your website in awhile.

There are no prefilters.

That's why you're needing to clean the pads so often. Pumps in the pond
protected by screening or mesh baskets don't let the solids thru as solid.
Thus the muck is all fine.

When I used a prefilter back when I bought this pump it clogged constantly.
It was too much work pulling up the pump with it's heavy prefilters to hose
them off. I couldn't find anything that worked. It was almost a daily
chore (and became a real burden) so we switched to the plant baskets which
don't clog easily.

The pond is 2000g and is the largest Tetra filter we could find at the
time.

How many gallons of water do you think your Tetra filter holds?

Hummm.... hard to say. Maybe 40g? It keeps the ammonia and nitrites at
zero, so I'm sure it's doing it's job. I also have a 40 or 50g
settling-plant-tank that I flush of gunk every other month. I flush them
both with pond water, the filter every time I hose the pads and black gunk
comes out (and runs over the lawn). My husband thinks we need a filter with
a larger surface area. We don't want anything prefiltering the BigVersa
making it necessary to pull it up every other day.

I think that's just the nature of the beast. A smaller filter is going to
take more maintenance more often. Doesn't mean it isn't do the job of
filter conversion. ~ jan

We're trying to decide how to handle the problem. Right now we have to
finish the small pond and replace the liner in one of my 680g tanks........

--------------

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:01 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:23:00 -0500, "Koi-Lo" wrote:

When I used a prefilter back when I bought this pump it clogged constantly.
It was too much work pulling up the pump with it's heavy prefilters to hose
them off.

You need a pre-filter before the bio-filter (out of the pond) not what is
wrapped around the pump, or anything more in-the-pond.

My husband thinks we need a filter with
a larger surface area.

Yup, that too. ~ jan