GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   little giant pond pump pmo-650 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/143454-little-giant-pond-pump-pmo-650-a.html)

[email protected] 03-05-2006 08:37 PM

little giant pond pump pmo-650

Hi,

I had a little giant submersible pond pump, model # PMO-650. It's been
tripping my GFCI, so I decided to pull it apart to see if water had got to
it.

This pump is enclosed in a plastic case, the back half of which is sealed
air-tight by O-rings. When I opened it, there was a kind of
vacuum-"thook" shound, and then a fluid ran out. The fluid had the
consistency and appearance of water. There was a very minor rusty
appearance to some of the internal parts.

Was the fluid in fact water that had leaked into the pump? Or is it some
kind of lubricant/oil? Whatever it is, it's spilled out, so it's gone now.

Thanks,
Scott

Posted using Android Newsgroup Downloader:
.... http://www.sb-software.com/android

Koi-Lo 03-05-2006 09:47 PM

little giant pond pump pmo-650

*Note: There are TWO "Koi-Lo's" on this NG*

wrote in message ...
Hi,

I had a little giant submersible pond pump, model # PMO-650. It's been
tripping my GFCI, so I decided to pull it apart to see if water had got to
it.

This pump is enclosed in a plastic case, the back half of which is sealed
air-tight by O-rings. When I opened it, there was a kind of
vacuum-"thook" shound, and then a fluid ran out. The fluid had the
consistency and appearance of water. There was a very minor rusty
appearance to some of the internal parts.

Was the fluid in fact water that had leaked into the pump? Or is it some
kind of lubricant/oil? Whatever it is, it's spilled out, so it's gone now.

====================
Can you tell by feel or smell if it's oil? Water leaked in to my BigVersa
last summer and kept flipping the breaker. We let the water out and dried
it for 24 hours, reset and tightened the seal with a lot of Vaseline and so
far so good.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Derek Broughton 04-05-2006 02:18 PM

wrote:

I had a little giant submersible pond pump, model # PMO-650. It's been
tripping my GFCI, so I decided to pull it apart to see if water had got to
it.

This pump is enclosed in a plastic case, the back half of which is sealed
air-tight by O-rings. When I opened it, there was a kind of
vacuum-"thook" shound, and then a fluid ran out. The fluid had the
consistency and appearance of water. There was a very minor rusty
appearance to some of the internal parts.

Was the fluid in fact water that had leaked into the pump? Or is it some
kind of lubricant/oil? Whatever it is, it's spilled out, so it's gone now.

It's _supposed_ to be oil. Given that there was some rust, it was probably
water. LG pumps are well known for blowing their seals, releasing the oil,
and then filling with water. If the leak was small you wouldn't
necessarily see any sign - most of the ones we hear about here are more
catastrophic.
--
derek