Old 07-05-2006, 03:12 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default 2 baby koi, 1 baby plant

My surprises this week:

I found 2 small koi (~3") in the upper pond. I thought I had a couple
little ones in there before winter came, but didn't see them when I took
the screens off this spring. Discovered them still hiding in the same place
under a plant basket. I've been tossing some sinking food in that area, as
they're not brave enough to come out an eat with the big boys.

Then today I went to move the taros, bog lily and palms out. Discovered the
violet stemmed taro had made a baby (runner) over in the Black Magic taro's
basket. ~ jan

-----------------
Old 07-05-2006, 04:02 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"~ janj" wrote in message
news
My surprises this week:

I found 2 small koi (~3") in the upper pond. I thought I had a couple
little ones in there before winter came, but didn't see them when I took
the screens off this spring. Discovered them still hiding in the same
place
under a plant basket. I've been tossing some sinking food in that area, as
they're not brave enough to come out an eat with the big boys.

Then today I went to move the taros, bog lily and palms out. Discovered
the
violet stemmed taro had made a baby (runner) over in the Black Magic
taro's
basket. ~ jan

-----------------
===============
There may be more than just the two you see. You may have even more hiding
in and around the plants. We missed 9 or 10 small ones when we netted the
300+ for the pet shop. We had moved the plants to another pool to get them
out of our way. When I came back and returned them to the larger tank....
there they were! :-(

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.ponds
Olde Hippee

Last summer we found the first 3 babies we have ever had in our pond.
They had hidden in the lower drainpipe(which was clogged and not in
use.) They're about 6" now. Hoping for more this summer.
And wouldn't ya know, the day the bacteria for the filter arrived, it
was like a miracle. The algae had disappeared overnight and the pond
was crystal clear. Never have had it disappear that quickly before.
Maybe just having this stuff around will scare the algae away forever.
Ha!
Sure is nice to see all the wet pets instead of just noses!!
Nanzi

Old 09-05-2006, 12:52 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On 8 May 2006 08:07:47 -0700, "Olde Hippee" wrote:

Last summer we found the first 3 babies we have ever had in our pond.
They had hidden in the lower drainpipe(which was clogged and not in
use.) They're about 6" now. Hoping for more this summer.
And wouldn't ya know, the day the bacteria for the filter arrived, it
was like a miracle. The algae had disappeared overnight and the pond
was crystal clear. Never have had it disappear that quickly before.
Maybe just having this stuff around will scare the algae away forever.
Ha! Nanzi

LOL! See it did work. Kind of like those wild elephant deflectors... (Ah,
Jan, we don't have wild elephants in WA. SEE.... They work! ;o) ~ jan

-----------------
Old 09-05-2006, 02:24 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Olde Hippee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Last summer we found the first 3 babies we have ever had in our pond.
They had hidden in the lower drainpipe(which was clogged and not in
use.) They're about 6" now. Hoping for more this summer.
And wouldn't ya know, the day the bacteria for the filter arrived, it
was like a miracle. The algae had disappeared overnight and the pond
was crystal clear. Never have had it disappear that quickly before.
Maybe just having this stuff around will scare the algae away forever.
Ha!
Sure is nice to see all the wet pets instead of just noses!!

==================
Speaking of algae. My 2000g is as bad as it's ever been. As soon as we get
the chance to we're putting the UV light back on it for the first time in a
few years. It's loaded with plants but still pea soup. Visibility is near
zero and it was cleaned out this spring. We removed 7 young adult koi so
there's even less fish. We're still working on the 800g pond, now 890g
since we fixed the berm permanently. We also fixed a drainage problem
around the 2 ponds this past week. There'll be all new landscaping around
the smaller pond........ it's a lot of work. It turned into a bigger job
that we had anticipated.

Some of the tanks behind the house (150g to 680g) are clear and others are
green. Go figure........
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-05-2006, 05:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Speaking of algae. My 2000g is as bad as it's ever been. As soon as we get
the chance to we're putting the UV light back on it for the first time in a
few years. It's loaded with plants but still pea soup. Visibility is near
zero and it was cleaned out this spring.

That's why it is, but you know that. :-)

Even if one has a LOT of plants, if one has BIG fish, and quite a few (I
don't remember the number you drop down to), this is still going to happen.
Green water can be good, it is using up nutrients until the pond can
balance itself with fuzz algae around the edges & filtration. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 14-05-2006, 12:42 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"~ janj" wrote in message
Speaking of algae. My 2000g is as bad as it's ever been. As soon as we
get
the chance to we're putting the UV light back on it for the first time in
few years. It's loaded with plants but still pea soup. Visibility is
near
zero and it was cleaned out this spring.

That's why it is, but you know that. :-)

Even if one has a LOT of plants, if one has BIG fish, and quite a few (I
don't remember the number you drop down to), this is still going to
happen.
Green water can be good, it is using up nutrients until the pond can
balance itself with fuzz algae around the edges & filtration. ~ jan

==================
You're right Jan. But GEEZE, I want to see my fish and am getting
impatient. We have 13 koi in that pond, most are over 12" long. Actually
it is a little clearer today. I added extra Muriate of Potash the other
day. That may have helped. I got the idea to add extra potash from the
aquarium group.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
rec.pond's FAQ are at:
http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html

beautiful baby koi.... on catfishfood - some koi/gf mix ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 9 15-11-2003 08:12 PM
? baby koi #2 john rutz Ponds 2 21-07-2003 05:42 PM
Baby koi Jerrispond Ponds 11 18-07-2003 07:54 PM
Baby koi or goldfish? Sue Alexandre Ponds 2 16-07-2003 06:21 AM
baby koi! matt Ponds 2 18-05-2003 01:56 AM