Old 10-04-2003, 06:56 AM
jammer

Default Floating plant divider??

I do like my water fern and feel it adds interest and fish/algea cover
enough to want to keep it, but i am wanting to corral it. Does anyone
have a clue what i should use? I could screw whatever it is into the
side on the pond to secure it. In my mind i see a black fan belt off
of a vehicle. I keep it off of the lillies and other plants with the
hose spray, but i would like to clear some away from the primrose and
water celery on the other side, too. Suggestion, anyone?
Old 10-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

I bought a hoola-hoop and wrapped it in black duct tape to hide the color.
It floats nicely, can be secured with a string to the side or whatever, but
can just float around the pond, too.

Lee

Old 10-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Just Me \Koi\

I use hoolahoop also.

I even like that it is colored. Adds some whimsical effect with the colors.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 10-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Cleveland Ponder

Last year I used this round foam insulation that is made to fill wide
voids prior to caulking. It is about 1/2" in diameter x 20' long and
light grey in color. I camouphlaged it by fastening water lettuce
along it.

Old 10-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

jammer wrote:
I wish i knew what/where that stuff was. A hoola hoop won't work for
my dinky pond. 4x2x2. Someone said a hobby store might have white
styrofoam for crafts. I dont know how i would color it. A bright white
styrofoam hoop would look like hell!

I appreciate knowing this isn't such a crazy idea.

The wreaths also come in green, but don't worry the plants
will soon fill in the area and hang over the edges.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 10-04-2003, 09:08 PM
jammer

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:03:20 GMT, Bonnie Espenshade
wrote:

I appreciate knowing this isn't such a crazy idea.

The wreaths also come in green, but don't worry the plants
will soon fill in the area and hang over the edges.

Ok, i will check it out up the street!
(and thanks for the replies)
Old 10-04-2003, 11:20 PM
zookeeper

I needed a float to suspend a net in the pond (I was netting baby koi
and keeping them separate from the big guys and the frog). Using some
1/2 inch clear flexible plastic tubing, I cut an 18 inch length then
joined it with a short piece of hard plastic air line. Both the tubing
and air line I bought by the inch at a local aquarium / fish store; it's
also available at Petsmart, etc.
--
Kathy, zookeeper (OR)
3500gal pond

Old 11-04-2003, 01:32 AM
jammer

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:03:57 -0700, zookeeper
wrote:

I needed a float to suspend a net in the pond (I was netting baby koi
and keeping them separate from the big guys and the frog). Using some
1/2 inch clear flexible plastic tubing, I cut an 18 inch length then
joined it with a short piece of hard plastic air line. Both the tubing
and air line I bought by the inch at a local aquarium / fish store; it's
also available at Petsmart, etc.

I think i have air line! The hobby shop had zilch.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:44 AM
RichToyBox

Make your own, custom sized hula hoop. Take some poly pipe, 1/2 inch or 3/4
inch and use a dowel or straight insertable connector to connect the ends.
--
RichToyBox

"jammer" wrote in message

I wish i knew what/where that stuff was. A hoola hoop won't work for
my dinky pond. 4x2x2. Someone said a hobby store might have white
styrofoam for crafts. I dont know how i would color it. A bright white
styrofoam hoop would look like hell!

I appreciate knowing this isn't such a crazy idea.

On 10 Apr 2003 07:51:59 -0700, (Cleveland
Ponder) wrote:

Last year I used this round foam insulation that is made to fill wide
voids prior to caulking. It is about 1/2" in diameter x 20' long and
light grey in color. I camouphlaged it by fastening water lettuce
along it.

. ..

Old 11-04-2003, 02:08 AM
jammer

I am so incredibly dumb when it comes to materials, i will keep this
and go ask the guy at Home Depot to show mw some. Thank you !!!

Old 20-04-2003, 05:08 AM
~ jan

I'm a little late on a response, but you could use drip irrigation hose.
Comes in small diameters, already is black, and make a hula hoop with one
of their handy dandy leakless black connectors. The diameter could probably
be as small as a bucket lid or less, or as big as the pond. ;o) ~ jan

wrote:

Make your own, custom sized hula hoop. Take some poly pipe, 1/2 inch or 3/4
inch and use a dowel or straight insertable connector to connect the ends.

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 20-04-2003, 06:44 AM
jammer

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 20:02:57 -0700, ~ jan
wrote:

I'm a little late on a response, but you could use drip irrigation hose.
Comes in small diameters, already is black, and make a hula hoop with one
of their handy dandy leakless black connectors. The diameter could probably
be as small as a bucket lid or less, or as big as the pond. ;o) ~ jan

Thanks. I will be finding something soon.

You are the one i am looking for i think. My husband and son are
attending mass and when they get back or in the morning when the
husband looks out over the backyard kingdom, he will see a rather
hideous bright orange with white paint on it EXTENSION CORD going from
the outlet across the patio, across the yard to his trouble light or
drop light that is hanging on the fence. I am hoping for a minor
explosion.
Old 20-04-2003, 08:32 AM
~ jan

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:32:43 -0500, jammer wrote:

You are the one i am looking for i think. My husband and son are
attending mass and when they get back or in the morning when the
husband looks out over the backyard kingdom, he will see a rather
hideous bright orange with white paint on it EXTENSION CORD going from
the outlet across the patio, across the yard to his trouble light or
drop light that is hanging on the fence. I am hoping for a minor
explosion.

I'll hope for a trip to the hardware store and a reading of the electrical
code book (if he's talented in that way). ;o) ~ jan

Old 20-04-2003, 08:44 AM
jammer

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:29:44 -0700, ~ jan
wrote:

I'll hope for a trip to the hardware store and a reading of the electrical
code book (if he's talented in that way). ;o) ~ jan

It will take a while, but thanks, i will wish along with you. Sure
looked pretty all lit up... I am not getting the day time look i
want. I don't have enough tall plants. But it looked good at night and
can only be improved upon.