Old 11-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Eric Hanson

Default Concrete walkway removal for pond extension

Hello,

I am planning on extending my pond in the coming weeks. The current
pond is about 22' x 7'. I want to dig an extension to make it an
L-shaped pond. The problem that I am having is that I would have to
"dig" through a 6" thick concrete walkway. And I have no idea how to
remove it safely and with a low cost. I quickly tried to pound it with
a sledgehammer, but it did little to the concrete. Not even a crack. I
quickly stopped because I was worried about the fish and vibrations.

Does anyone have any suggestions/comments?

Please see my site for images to get a better understanding of what I
am trying to do. I look forward to ANY responses. Thanks for your time

http://www.pobox.com/~ehanson/aquaria_pond.html

--
Eric Hanson

Old 11-04-2003, 10:56 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Eric,
one thought - you will be going a lot deeper than 6" with your pond, so why
not undercut the concrete before trying to break it up?
If you hit it now, a lot of the force will be absorbed by the ground.
If it is hanging in space, it is a lot more likely to fracture under its own
weight.
Remember not to be under it when it does :-)
HTH
Dave R
m...

Old 11-04-2003, 12:44 PM
volts500

[...]

I've removed my fair share of concrete over the years (mostly in existing
buildings to install conduit). I would recommend renting a walk behind
concrete saw. Even if you use a garden hose connected to the saw (to cut
down on dust), it looks like you'll still need a plastic tarp to cover the
pond. Make 2 cuts across the sidewalk as far as you can. Since you won't
be able to make complete cuts across the sidewalk, I'd make two lengthwise
cuts (as opposed to one lengthwise cut down the center of the sidewalk),
the first as close to the pond as the machine will allow. The other just
split the difference between the first cut and the other edge. When making
the cuts, be _sure_ that you cut all the way through the concrete......the
concrete will _not_ break up easily with a sledge hammer if you don't.

Once the cuts are made, after two or three smacks with a sledge hammer,
the concrete will start to crack and break up. Continue until the pieces
are a managable size. If there is wire mesh in the concrete you will need
some bolt cutters to cut it as you lift the pieces out. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Eric Hanson wrote:
Hello,

I am planning on extending my pond in the coming weeks. The current
pond is about 22' x 7'. I want to dig an extension to make it an
L-shaped pond. The problem that I am having is that I would have to
"dig" through a 6" thick concrete walkway. And I have no idea how to
remove it safely and with a low cost. I quickly tried to pound it with
a sledgehammer, but it did little to the concrete. Not even a crack. I
quickly stopped because I was worried about the fish and vibrations.

Does anyone have any suggestions/comments?

Please see my site for images to get a better understanding of what I
am trying to do. I look forward to ANY responses. Thanks for your time

http://www.pobox.com/~ehanson/aquaria_pond.html

--
Eric Hanson

Hi Eric,
I have no idea how to go about removing the concrete. I do
have a question for you though, what size pvc did you use to
build the cover?

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 11-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Cleveland Ponder

Having had to remove a lot of concrete from an in-ground pool that had
been filled in when I dug my pond, I have a lot of experience in this.
I found six inches almost impossible to break with a 12# sledge
hammer, even if it was not on solid ground. If you are removing a
section between two expansion joints you won't need the diamond saw.
If your not ending at the expansion joints, I would recommend you rent
the gas powered diamond saw and make a cut at each end of the area to
be removed. Be prepared to get ripped on the blade. I don't know
where you live, but if you anywhere near Cleveland, OH I'll let you
borrow the one I have. You will not be able to cut all of the way
through. With a 14" blade, I think you will be able to cut about 3.5"
deep. The idea is to get a good clean edge for appearances. It is
also a good idea to slightly bevel the top edge of the part to be left
to prevent chipping. The second tool you will need is a 65# electric
jack hammer. You should get two bits. One is a chisel style and the
other is pointed. I found the chisel style worked best for me. Make
sure you have a 12 ga extension cord for it. Place the bit about 4"
from the edge of the sidewalk and go at it. Do not try to take to
much at a time as you will just end up with the bit stuck it the
middle of the concrete. This is why you want to make sure you get two
bits. Don't ask how I know. If the concrete is reinforced with wire
mesh, a pair of bolt cutters and a pry bar are very helpful. Cut
through the walk like you were chopping a log in half. Once you get
through the width of the walk, you will find it easier and be able to
break off bigger hunks, 12" - 16". When doing the larger pieces,
don't try to go all of the way through. The idea is to weaken it in
an area and then move over some along a line. It does help to
undermine the concrete, but is not necessary. If you lucky enough to
be removing a section between expansion joints, I would recommend
prying up one end if possible as it will make it easier. Just watch
the hands and toes. BTW, it is very heavy work using the jack hammer.

If you have back or heart problems, get someone else to do it for you.
I have found high school football players like doing this sort of
thing.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Hey Folks,

Not all concretes are the same. How that
particular batch is blended can make it different.
My dad had a slab poured for the garage and he
wanted it really substantial, but a very smooth
surface. A number of years later he got a
grinder and wanted to mount it directly to the
floor with bolts. He tried his drill with a
diamond concrete bit and didn't even dent it. He
borrowed an industrial hammer drill and used a
diamond concrete bit and all he got was a
depression. After trying a number of other items
he gave up. He ended up getting a wheel rim and
welding a pole with a platform on it and filled he
rim with concrete and mounted the grinder on the
platform. Several times through the years he
tried in other places to drill holes in the
concrete and each time gave up. It was the
hardest concrete that we had ever experienced. My
dad and I poured and worked a lot of concrete over
the years.

We found out later that the concrete company we
used was doing a special project in our area for a
Federal Bridge project that produced prestressed
concrete beams and it was surmised that we got the
leftovers one day. What ever was in it it hardly
was ever stained by oil or any petroleum product.
If it got wiped up pretty quick you hardly new it
had been split on the surface.

Usually surfaces of concrete deteriorate over a
period of time no matter how smooth it is from the
start. After almost 40 years this concrete is
just as smooth as it originally was produced.

Tom L.L.
=============================
"Charles" wrote in
message
On 10 Apr 2003 21:14:01 -0700,

(Eric Hanson) wrote:

Hello,

I am planning on extending my pond in the

coming weeks. The current
pond is about 22' x 7'. I want to dig an

extension to make it an
L-shaped pond. The problem that I am having is

that I would have to
"dig" through a 6" thick concrete walkway. And

I have no idea how to
remove it safely and with a low cost. I quickly

tried to pound it with
a sledgehammer, but it did little to the

concrete. Not even a crack. I
quickly stopped because I was worried about the

fish and vibrations.

Does anyone have any suggestions/comments?

Please see my site for images to get a better

understanding of what I
am trying to do. I look forward to ANY

http://www.pobox.com/~ehanson/aquaria_pond.html

How about sawing it into smaller pieces, rental

yards have diamond
saws for that purpose. Cement that I have

broken up seemed to be a
lot weaker if I could get it upside down and

break it from the bottom.
No idea why that would be, just seemed that way.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others

Old 12-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Eric Hanson

Thanks for all of the responses. I am going to call the local rental
place tomorrow and see what they have available. An emailer suggested
a diamond masonry circular saw blade for around $49. That is not that
bad. There is no way it will cut through the entire piece though. I
may end up choosing that route cutting as far down as possible, then
digging underneath it to remove the dirt as a poster suggested. Then
pound away hoping for a clean break. Sort of like scoring glass. But
if I can get anything from the rental place for the same price or
cheaper, I will go the rental route. I will keep the thread updated if
anyone is still interested and for future reference.

If there are any more suggestions, please keep them coming. Thanks.

http://www.pobox.com/~ehanson/aquaria_pond.html

--
Eric Hansom

Old 12-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Eric Hanson

Bonnie,

The PVC is all 1". Anything larger would have been too expensive for
my project budget. The 1" was more than adequate, though. I hope to be
updateing the site with more details about it soon.

--
Eric Hanson