Old 04-06-2006, 09:11 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cheryl

Default filling a pond

We have inherited a pond in the house we have bought but have decided to
fill it in.

We do like the pond but our garden is tiny and it takes up half the space.
Plus we have begun to think long term. Ie starting a family and feel that
it is just easier/safer to fill it in a gain a bigger garden aswell.

I was wondering what would be the best way to fill to pond.. we will be
digging up lots of concrete slab, will these be ok?

plus any ideas of the best way to rehome the fishes? we dont know anyone
else with a pond!

Many thanks

Cheryl

Old 04-06-2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default filling a pond - filling in pond

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Cheryl" wrote in message
.uk...
I was wondering what would be the best way to fill to pond.. we will be
digging up lots of concrete slab, will these be ok?

Bury them deep. If you ever want to plant shrubs or trees on the spot you
don't want to have to remove them.

plus any ideas of the best way to rehome the fishes? we dont know anyone
else with a pond!

Call all the local fish and pond stores. At least one should offer to take
them. Good luck!

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 20:11:58 GMT, "Cheryl"
wrote:
We have inherited a pond in the house we have bought but have decided to
fill it in.

Good idea,a Ponds are a large money pit and lots of labor for what,
th epriviledge to look at a dam carp.

We do like the pond but our garden is tiny and it takes up half the space.
Plus we have begun to think long term. Ie starting a family and feel that
it is just easier/safer to fill it in a gain a bigger garden aswell.

Yep veggies are more usefull than a carp

I was wondering what would be the best way to fill to pond.. we will be
digging up lots of concrete slab, will these be ok?

I owuld use dirt, so the concrete slab if uysed as fill will not bite
you some day when yuy need to dig or poant something. Burying any
rubble as such is usuaoly a bad idea on a residential area.....best
haul in a truck load or two of dirt.

plus any ideas of the best way to rehome the fishes? we dont know anyone
else with a pond!

If they are big enough BBQ works fine. ;-) , Call a pet shop and see
if they want some, put a free ad in the newspaper or local Sale. Trade
rag magazine.....POst a general location your located and maybe
osmeone would know of others that could take the fish off your hands
in that area.....Just don;t give your address out on usenet.....I see
your in GB......if I read yur email right, and there is quite a few
folks over there that fool with ponds.......

Many thanks

Cheryl

Old 04-06-2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.ponds
BB

"Koi-Lo" None wrote in :

Call all the local fish and pond stores. At least one should offer to
take them. Good luck!

You can also try Craig's List. If the fish're worth somethin', try
sellin' 'em. If they're just garden variety gold fish, I'm almost certain
you'll find a happy ponder willing to take 'em for free. (Free works also
if you simply want them GONE...)

--Bryan (who has a new head of hair algae stringing through the damn pond!
grrr....) (But it does help mulch the new lawn area... )

* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
* Through the Trees? | Reply if you want. E-mail *
* Take it out! | address changes frequently *
* (Damn Viruses!) | to foil spambots. *
Old 05-06-2006, 03:01 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"BB" wrote in message
. 125.201...
You can also try Craig's List. If the fish're worth somethin', try
sellin' 'em. If they're just garden variety gold fish, I'm almost certain
you'll find a happy ponder willing to take 'em for free. (Free works also
if you simply want them GONE...)

Some stores have those bulletin boards where people advertise all kinds of
things to sell or trade. I bet someone would call for free or really cheap
pond fish.

--Bryan (who has a new head of hair algae stringing through the damn pond!
grrr....) (But it does help mulch the new lawn area... )

String algae!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! Fortunately I don't get it in
the larger ponds or tanks but the 150g pools have it every spring - until
the water lettuce really takes off and starves it out.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
BoyPete

Cheryl wrote:
We have inherited a pond in the house we have bought but have decided
to fill it in.

We do like the pond but our garden is tiny and it takes up half the
space. Plus we have begun to think long term. Ie starting a family
and feel that it is just easier/safer to fill it in a gain a bigger
garden aswell.
I was wondering what would be the best way to fill to pond.. we will
be digging up lots of concrete slab, will these be ok?

plus any ideas of the best way to rehome the fishes? we dont know
anyone else with a pond!

Many thanks

Cheryl

What part ok UK are you in?
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 07-06-2006, 08:36 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cheryl

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Cheryl wrote:
We have inherited a pond in the house we have bought but have decided
to fill it in.

We do like the pond but our garden is tiny and it takes up half the
space. Plus we have begun to think long term. Ie starting a family
and feel that it is just easier/safer to fill it in a gain a bigger
garden aswell.
I was wondering what would be the best way to fill to pond.. we will
be digging up lots of concrete slab, will these be ok?

plus any ideas of the best way to rehome the fishes? we dont know
anyone else with a pond!

Many thanks

Cheryl

What part ok UK are you in?
--
ßôyþëtë

South east Gatwick area

Old 08-06-2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

"Koi-Lo" aka Roy wrote in message

I think kevin is in dire need of a tranquillizer or two.Chill out
dude, Princes Di is dead and no amound of hurrying up is gonna
change that... better yet, go ask your stupid questions on google run
by and for brits!

"Cheryl" wrote in message
.uk...

Old 08-06-2006, 06:55 AM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

"~Roy" aka Koi-Lo wrote in message

Its b****ing asholes like you that keep the noise level going. Your
the first ****ing moron to snap today......you poor pityful