Old 07-06-2006, 07:24 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default New to ponds

"Steve" wrote in message
So would I just have to get some sort of diveter so it can run 2 differant

Right, but a 350 isn't going to give you much of a trickle. Many pond
stores though will gladly let you trade up if you take it home and it
doesn't do what is needed. Just don't lose the box or receipt until you're
sure. ~ jan

-----------------
Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 07-06-2006, 02:37 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

Yes and no. I fyu want to have a water fall, that is gong to gtake a
lot of water to make it look decent. Water falls are huge consumers of
water......., but you could still T off the discharge line to the
water fall and route to to a fountain or spitter and possible
depending on how much flow yur satisfied with on a waterfall/ cascade,
could possibly power a fountain etc at the same time.

Unfortunately diverter valves for pond use are kind of pricey for what
you get, and they are cheaply made. However yu can get a ball valve
in the plubming section of big box stores, and a few PVC fittings and
tuibe yu can reaily make a simple "manifold" for about 25% of the cost
of a typcial diverter valve. It could do additional usefull things
like adding the capbility to pump the water out of the pond by simnply
turning a valve handle which makes water changes easier.........With a
typical diverter your nailed to usuaing their components for the most
part. Feed it all with the max size flex tube for max flow from
pump to filter for best results no matter what pump / filteryou use,
and to repeat, box filters (pump enclosed n plastic box with filter
media) just plain suck!

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 23:48:52 GMT, "Steve" wrote:
So would I just have to get some sort of diveter so it can run 2 differant
things?

Sorry so many questions. I am learning still.

"~Roy" wrote in message

No, if yuy go with a Cyprio Titan pump of say 800 gph its made to
power a pressure filter like the Cyprio Bio Force, and then feed a
water fall .....Commn box filters just plain suck at removing any
algae or really doing the job, and who want to be messing around in a
pond to clean it. External pressure buried so only the top is visible
is a piece of cake to maintain. At the price your just a bit higher
than what big box stores charge for a typical box filter and cleap
pump.

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 20:38:03 GMT, "Steve" wrote:
So basically no matter what pumps I chose to use I should probably just
get
one pump and filter set up and one waterfall pump. Correct?

"Go Fig" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Steve
wrote:

Well I have been reading for a few weeks and finally decided to do a
pond.
I will probably just put a few small goldfish in it nothing big. It
will
be
a preformed one from HD 165 gallons and 18" deep. I will bring in
the
goldfish in the winter to an aquarium ( i have 4 of them).

My questions is : I will be getting a pump and filter combo
(Beckett
Small
Pond Filter Kit Model 7040210). Will I be able to run a waterfall
that
is 2
ft high and about 3 feet away from where the pump will be located?

It is very doubtful that this matched pump will run this proposed
waterfall with more than a small trickle (perhaps the desirable
effect)... consider using a 2nd pump to run the waterfall... a
Pondmaster #12 might be a good choice w/ 1" tubing for a strong flow/
rate.

Have you looked at the Pondmaster filter w/ a skimmer ?

Good Luck!

jay
Mon Jun 05, 2006

noticed that it has a valve for other water features on it so that
is
what I
was going to hook up to it. I will use the fountain attachement
also.

Thanks in advance. It is all confusing to me. I am jsut not
wanting to
spend money on two pumps if not needed.

Thanks
steve

Old 07-06-2006, 02:52 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

A solenoid to divert water flow is easily added, and much cheaper than
buying and running a 2nd pump if you desire to shut off water fall
etc........and it too can be on a timer circuit.

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 21:08:18 -0700, Go Fig wrote:
In article , Steve
wrote:

So basically no matter what pumps I chose to use I should probably just get
one pump and filter set up and one waterfall pump. Correct?

Not necessarily, the advantage w/ 2 pumps is you can turn off the water
fall pump w/ a timer if you want it quiet at night... or a portion of
the night. My preference is 2 pumps.

jay
Tue Jun 06, 2006

Old 07-06-2006, 02:53 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Steve wrote:

Well I have been reading for a few weeks and finally decided to do a pond.
I will probably just put a few small goldfish in it nothing big. It will
be
a preformed one from HD 165 gallons and 18" deep. I will bring in the
goldfish in the winter to an aquarium ( i have 4 of them).

My questions is : I will be getting a pump and filter combo (Beckett
Small
Pond Filter Kit Model 7040210). Will I be able to run a waterfall that is
2
ft high and about 3 feet away from where the pump will be located?

You need to figure out (first) what the flow rate of that pump will be
at "head" of 2'. Rule #1 is that it is going to be less than the 350gph at
which the pump is rated. Sometimes it's _much_ less.

This page (http://www.pondtechnology.com/pages/pumps.html) offers the
following rule of thumb for waterfall flow rates:
- light flow = 50 GPH x waterfall width (in)
- average flow = 100 GPH x waterfall width (in)
- strong flow = 200 GPH x waterfall width (in)

So assuming you can get half the flow over the waterfall - either by
diverting some of the flow or going through the filter first, you can get
a "light" flow over about a 3 1/2" wide waterfall.

Personally, I'd consider a 350gph pump to be about half what you should be
using for filtering a 165g pond, and lifting the water another 2' will slow
it more, so you're really in need of a bigger pump.

I see no real advantage to using two pumps over a single pump. A single
pump going _through_ a filter and then over a fall has the benefit of
giving you an audible indication of the state of the filter - when the
falls slow down, you know the filter needs cleaning.
--
derek
Old 07-06-2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

WOW, what the hell canI say, yet a nother thing that old Derek and I
agree on....what the hell is this group coming to........]

Old 07-06-2006, 10:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Carl Beyer

In article ,
"Steve" wrote:

Well I have been reading for a few weeks and finally decided to do a pond.
I will probably just put a few small goldfish in it nothing big. It will be
a preformed one from HD 165 gallons and 18" deep. I will bring in the
goldfish in the winter to an aquarium ( i have 4 of them).

My questions is : I will be getting a pump and filter combo (Beckett Small
Pond Filter Kit Model 7040210). Will I be able to run a waterfall that is 2
ft high and about 3 feet away from where the pump will be located? I
noticed that it has a valve for other water features on it so that is what I
was going to hook up to it. I will use the fountain attachement also.

Thanks in advance. It is all confusing to me. I am jsut not wanting to
spend money on two pumps if not needed.

Thanks
steve

I have a bit bigger system than your proposing, but it sounds the same.
A nice waterfall will probably need a 1100 GPH pump. Someone posted
some math so you can figure it out that way if you want, but 350GPH is
like a garden hose on medium slow.

I have a second pump that runs 24/7 that is 350gph (the water fall is
1400gph). it pumps water to my Sand Filter, and then into my UV light.
The waterfall pumps into a "Big" skippy filter and then to the falls.

To save money, I made my own filters, including my sand filter but not
my UV. I put plants in the pond, so it helps with the chemical process.
Then I made a bucket up with scrubbing pads (A skippy FIlter is what it
is called) and it really keeps the water clear. Then the UV does its
job to help as well.

UV's have to run 24/7 BTW.

If you want, take a look at Veggie Filters if you are making your own.
I would like to go back and do it again that way. Skippys are GREAT,
but a bit more maintenance... then again, mine is too small for my pond
and fish load...

Hope this helpsl. It is never easy, and almost always what ever you buy
you will regret cause you will want it bigger, better, badder later on
;-)

carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 07-06-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.ponds
Steve

All of this helps alot. I will do some more research and post what I have
decided to go with.

Thnks
Steve

Old 08-06-2006, 01:03 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

"Koi-Lo" aka ROY wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 20:19:52 -0700, ~ janj
wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 02:16:50 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

[...]

What's the gph on the pump? ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 08-06-2006, 01:04 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

"Koi-Lo" aka ROY wrote in message

Save your momneyb and get a decent filter such as a POndmaster kit or
BIo force. ALgae is a big problem in smaller ponds as such and a
filter capable of picking it o=up is needed, and those filter kits
sold in big box stores are not the ticket. They are minimum by any
means in terms of even filtration no matter what the box label
says.......especially a beckett.
Get a Danner MAg Drive Pondmaster. A Mag7 ot 9 will do it, no need to
go to 2 on such a small preform, unless yu go to a 12 and use it as a
sole pump, but its still may overkill in a 165 gal preform. With 18
inches of depth, and twop feet high water fall, your ball park to a
lift of 3 1/2 feet already and its gonna cut down on pump performance
big time with that becket or anyt other smaller pump even if its just
used for water fall alone.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:04 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

[...]

"~Roy" wrote in message

Yea, but thata cyprio Bio Force filter will remove it without the need
of a UV..A UV is fine if you do not mind replacing the bulb every year
though.....The wifes preform pond which she keeps a large
assoprtment of tropical fish in is also a 165 gal from HD uses the
Cyprio bio force and Titan 800 pump, Were located in a hot region,
with pond in full sunlight. Its suspeneded algae free.....all without
a UV.

.On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 08:57:31 -0700, Go Fig wrote:
In article , ~Roy
wrote:

Probably the best compbination for that size and setup would be a
Cyprio Bio Force 1000, hooked up to a Cyprio Titan 800 submersible
pump. It wil have sufficient flow to provide decent flow out and

down
a water fall. The filter has the capability to filter out algae,

its
a pressure type, and has a solids settlement section as well. It is

an
external type filter and can be placed in the ground and only the

top
portion of it exposed, which is easy to conceal. It is easy to clean
and service. The Tital pump has an adjustable inlet grid screen so

you
can lcos eit down to as small as 2mm to keep fry etc from entering

the
pump. If yuor in a tropical or sub tropical zone 8 and I owul
dconsider the 1000 as your gonna need more capacity than those

living
up in the cooler regions.

Filter can alsl have a UV added to it, but UV is a continual waste

of
money with bulb replacement annually,

Getting rid of suspended algae is not a waste of money.

jay
Tue Jun 06, 2006

so their overall cost never goes
down and continues to be a yearly requirement../

Pump about $80-90 and filter about $70 plus 1" or 3/4" hose / tube.
and it would put you in business with a more than adequate

filtration
system.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:16 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

"Koi-Lo" aka Roy wrote in message

I think kevin is in dire need of a tranquillizer or two.Chill out
dude, Princes Di is dead and no amound of hurrying up is gonna
change that... better yet, go ask your stupid questions on google run
by and for brits!

Old 08-06-2006, 01:17 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

"Koi-Lo" aka Roy wrote in message

I think kevin is in dire need of a tranquillizer or two.Chill out
dude, Princes Di is dead and no amound of hurrying up is gonna
change that... better yet, go ask your stupid questions on google run
by and for brits!

"Carl Beyer" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steve" wrote:

[...]

My Brother's Ponds. Link to on line photo album of his ponds. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 14 03-07-2004 04:04 AM
New to ponds. Steve and Tiffany Ponds 4 01-06-2003 03:44 PM
new to group ... and ponds : ) Nanceemo Ponds 6 15-04-2003 05:08 AM