Old 06-06-2006, 03:16 AM posted to rec.ponds
Steve

Default New to ponds

Well I have been reading for a few weeks and finally decided to do a pond.
I will probably just put a few small goldfish in it nothing big. It will be
a preformed one from HD 165 gallons and 18" deep. I will bring in the
goldfish in the winter to an aquarium ( i have 4 of them).

My questions is : I will be getting a pump and filter combo (Beckett Small
Pond Filter Kit Model 7040210). Will I be able to run a waterfall that is 2
ft high and about 3 feet away from where the pump will be located? I
noticed that it has a valve for other water features on it so that is what I
was going to hook up to it. I will use the fountain attachement also.

Thanks in advance. It is all confusing to me. I am jsut not wanting to
spend money on two pumps if not needed.

Thanks
steve

Old 06-06-2006, 04:19 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 02:16:50 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

Well I have been reading for a few weeks and finally decided to do a pond.
I will probably just put a few small goldfish in it nothing big. It will be
a preformed one from HD 165 gallons and 18" deep. I will bring in the
goldfish in the winter to an aquarium ( i have 4 of them).

My questions is : I will be getting a pump and filter combo (Beckett Small
Pond Filter Kit Model 7040210). Will I be able to run a waterfall that is 2
ft high and about 3 feet away from where the pump will be located? I
noticed that it has a valve for other water features on it so that is what I
was going to hook up to it. I will use the fountain attachement also.

Thanks in advance. It is all confusing to me. I am jsut not wanting to
spend money on two pumps if not needed.

Thanks
steve

What's the gph on the pump? ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 06-06-2006, 05:40 AM posted to rec.ponds
Go Fig

In article , Steve
wrote:

Well I have been reading for a few weeks and finally decided to do a pond.
I will probably just put a few small goldfish in it nothing big. It will be
a preformed one from HD 165 gallons and 18" deep. I will bring in the
goldfish in the winter to an aquarium ( i have 4 of them).

My questions is : I will be getting a pump and filter combo (Beckett Small
Pond Filter Kit Model 7040210). Will I be able to run a waterfall that is 2
ft high and about 3 feet away from where the pump will be located?

It is very doubtful that this matched pump will run this proposed
waterfall with more than a small trickle (perhaps the desirable
effect)... consider using a 2nd pump to run the waterfall... a
Pondmaster #12 might be a good choice w/ 1" tubing for a strong flow/
rate.

Have you looked at the Pondmaster filter w/ a skimmer ?

Good Luck!

jay
Mon Jun 05, 2006

Old 06-06-2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Save your momneyb and get a decent filter such as a POndmaster kit or
BIo force. ALgae is a big problem in smaller ponds as such and a
filter capable of picking it o=up is needed, and those filter kits
sold in big box stores are not the ticket. They are minimum by any
means in terms of even filtration no matter what the box label
says.......especially a beckett.
Get a Danner MAg Drive Pondmaster. A Mag7 ot 9 will do it, no need to
go to 2 on such a small preform, unless yu go to a 12 and use it as a
sole pump, but its still may overkill in a 165 gal preform. With 18
inches of depth, and twop feet high water fall, your ball park to a
lift of 3 1/2 feet already and its gonna cut down on pump performance
big time with that becket or anyt other smaller pump even if its just
used for water fall alone.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

Probably the best compbination for that size and setup would be a
Cyprio Bio Force 1000, hooked up to a Cyprio Titan 800 submersible
pump. It wil have sufficient flow to provide decent flow out and down
a water fall. The filter has the capability to filter out algae, its
a pressure type, and has a solids settlement section as well. It is an
external type filter and can be placed in the ground and only the top
portion of it exposed, which is easy to conceal. It is easy to clean
and service. The Tital pump has an adjustable inlet grid screen so you
can lcos eit down to as small as 2mm to keep fry etc from entering the
pump. If yuor in a tropical or sub tropical zone 8 and I owul
dconsider the 1000 as your gonna need more capacity than those living
up in the cooler regions.

Filter can alsl have a UV added to it, but UV is a continual waste of
money with bulb replacement annually, so their overall cost never goes
down and continues to be a yearly requirement../

Pump about $80-90 and filter about $70 plus 1" or 3/4" hose / tube.
and it would put you in business with a more than adequate filtration
system.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:57 PM posted to rec.ponds
Go Fig

In article , ~Roy
wrote:

[...]

Getting rid of suspended algae is not a waste of money.

jay
Tue Jun 06, 2006

Old 06-06-2006, 05:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

Yea, but thata cyprio Bio Force filter will remove it without the need
of a UV..A UV is fine if you do not mind replacing the bulb every year
though.....The wifes preform pond which she keeps a large
assoprtment of tropical fish in is also a 165 gal from HD uses the
Cyprio bio force and Titan 800 pump, Were located in a hot region,
with pond in full sunlight. Its suspeneded algae free.....all without
a UV.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
Steve

So basically no matter what pumps I chose to use I should probably just get
one pump and filter set up and one waterfall pump. Correct?

Old 07-06-2006, 12:26 AM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

No, if yuy go with a Cyprio Titan pump of say 800 gph its made to
power a pressure filter like the Cyprio Bio Force, and then feed a
water fall .....Commn box filters just plain suck at removing any
algae or really doing the job, and who want to be messing around in a
pond to clean it. External pressure buried so only the top is visible
is a piece of cake to maintain. At the price your just a bit higher
than what big box stores charge for a typical box filter and cleap
pump.

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 20:38:03 GMT, "Steve" wrote:
So basically no matter what pumps I chose to use I should probably just get
one pump and filter set up and one waterfall pump. Correct?

Old 07-06-2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.ponds
Steve

So would I just have to get some sort of diveter so it can run 2 differant
things?

Sorry so many questions. I am learning still.

"~Roy" wrote in message

No, if yuy go with a Cyprio Titan pump of say 800 gph its made to
power a pressure filter like the Cyprio Bio Force, and then feed a
water fall .....Commn box filters just plain suck at removing any
algae or really doing the job, and who want to be messing around in a
pond to clean it. External pressure buried so only the top is visible
is a piece of cake to maintain. At the price your just a bit higher
than what big box stores charge for a typical box filter and cleap
pump.

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 20:38:03 GMT, "Steve" wrote:
So basically no matter what pumps I chose to use I should probably just
get
one pump and filter set up and one waterfall pump. Correct?

Old 07-06-2006, 05:08 AM posted to rec.ponds
Go Fig

In article , Steve
wrote:

So basically no matter what pumps I chose to use I should probably just get
one pump and filter set up and one waterfall pump. Correct?

Not necessarily, the advantage w/ 2 pumps is you can turn off the water
fall pump w/ a timer if you want it quiet at night... or a portion of
the night. My preference is 2 pumps.

jay
Tue Jun 06, 2006

Old 07-06-2006, 05:33 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Steve" wrote in message
So would I just have to get some sort of diveter so it can run 2 differant

=====================
Yes. Any store that carries pond supplies should have diverters including
Home Depot and Lowe's.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:01 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

"Steve" wrote in message
So would I just have to get some sort of diveter so it can run 2 differant
things?

Sorry so many questions. I am learning still.

I'm not good at the technical stuff. My
largest pond with a filter is only a 150 gallon
stocktank. I use a Pondmaster pump with
fountain fixture (bell-shaped).

The reason I'm writing is when we get a strong
wind, like that associated with a storm, I can lose
a lot of water from the fountain blowing water
out. Your pond isn't that much larger than mine and
it sounds like you're planning two running water
features - more chances for wind to rapidly
lower the levels of your pond.

Just something to think about.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA

My Brother's Ponds. Link to on line photo album of his ponds. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 14 03-07-2004 03:04 AM
New to ponds. Steve and Tiffany Ponds 4 01-06-2003 02:44 PM
new to group ... and ponds : ) Nanceemo Ponds 6 15-04-2003 04:08 AM