Old 17-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Andrew Burgess

Default bamboo and pond liners

Here's a short story that appeared on a mailing list I subscribe to
that I thought would be of interest:

I love bamboo and I plant it everywhere it I can and places I probably
shouldn't, like next to this pond I built 2 years ago. I dug out a hole,
built up the berms down slope with some dirt I got from digging out a
basement, then lined it with a piece of EPDM I scrounged from a roofer
friend. I'd planted the bamboo near there two years earlier and it was just
starting to get a foothold. I was so proud of my bamboo overhanging the
pond; it looked so Zen. I don't know if you've ever destructively tested
EPDM, but you can't tear it, and it's tough as nails. Well, (you know
what's coming) the bamboo poked up a shoot right through it the next spring
but it died, then (I'm theorizing now) rotted and last week the pond drained
itself out just like someone unstopped a drain plug. I never thought this
would happen. Now I'm in the pond-patching business. Live and learn.

Old 17-02-2003, 08:27 PM
Lee Brouillet

I don't have any bamboo, but I've always loved it. I understand that the
best way to keep bamboo in one spot is to plant it in a drum, with the
bottom cut out. It makes for a massive hole, but it can't send out runners
that way, and (more or less) behaves itself. Maybe there's someone on the
board that has first-hand experience with the stuff?

Lee

Old 17-02-2003, 09:29 PM
John Rutz

itself out just like someone unstopped a drain plug. I never thought

this

would happen. Now I'm in the pond-patching business. Live and learn.

My experience is that a root of any type of plant won't pierce a pondliner
unless it senses water - in other words unless it already is pierced in some
way. Maybe people could clarify if Bamboo is different. I'd like to plant
some dwarf species around my pond.

Bamboo grows in straight lines more or less, and will grow thru anything
in front of it, that it can penetrate--- it has extremly sharp and
strong points at its growing end either the root or the above ground
portion,,, remember that it used to be used as a torture device as it
will grow right thru a person and it grows fast up to 6 inches a day

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 17-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Fringe Ryder

"Lee Brouillet" sez:
I don't have any bamboo, but I've always loved it. I understand that the
best way to keep bamboo in one spot is to plant it in a drum, with the
bottom cut out. It makes for a massive hole, but it can't send out runners
that way, and (more or less) behaves itself. Maybe there's someone on the
board that has first-hand experience with the stuff?

There are several types of bamboo, including spreading, clumping, and
neither. I have some massive bamboos in my yard, planted about five years
ago, that haven't spread at all. Zero. 'Cuz they're that kind. But
they'd overwhelm a pond, as they're probably 30+ feet tall.

Great for hiding the house next door.

Old 18-02-2003, 05:15 AM
Laura Linz

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:34:22 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Burgess
wrote:

[...]

We had bamboo in our yard in our last house. It was there when we
bought the house, and I thought it was beautiful. Well...
It was the invasive type, and it spread like wildfire. I never really
did succeed at controling it. I've been told that you can dig a trench
around it about a foot deep and a foot wide, and that will
successfully stop it, which I believe, since the runners are very
shallow. However by the time I learned of this method, more than 25%
of my yard was covered. I was convinced that one day I was going to go
into the basement, and there would be a 6 foot bamboo stalk growing up
through my foundation! So we moved. (Only kidding... sort of)
Seriously, there is a very informative site at http://www.bamboo.org/
that had some good tips for anyone who wants to grow or contain it.

Cheers
Laura

Old 21-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Beecrofter

Bamboo rhizomes will easily pierce rubber pond liners.
So will Phragmites.
Hard plastic ponds so far have been immune.
A damaged one would make a great bamboo container and I bet you could
purchase one cheaply.
Old 23-02-2003, 02:27 PM
linda jones

my DH planted the running kind of bamboo-- as it was heading towards the
pond, I read what bamboo can do and he put in a below ground fence of
roof flashing to keep it from the pond-- the roots are very near the
surface. This has saved us and we have a lot of privacy between our
house and the neighbor's house-- but I am sure whoever lives here after
us will curse us every day of their lives!! We could use a visit from
a panda.

"A portrait is a painting with something wrong with the mouth." John
Singer Sargent

Old 24-02-2003, 11:23 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
I don't have any bamboo, but I've always loved it. I understand that the
best way to keep bamboo in one spot is to plant it in a drum, with the
bottom cut out. It makes for a massive hole, but it can't send out runners
that way, and (more or less) behaves itself. Maybe there's someone on the
board that has first-hand experience with the stuff?

I think it also depends on the variety of bamboo. Not all types are so
invasive. Check out rec.gardens.bamboo, there's plenty of experience over
there.

BV.

Old 26-02-2003, 06:03 AM
Mrkoiguy

bamboo WILL grow straight any pond liner. Even the miniature varieties. All
bamboo will spread by runners, These can go OVER anything as well as UNDER. You
wil need AT LEAST a 24" DEEP barrier to make sure they don't down under it. 36"
would be better..

The Koi Guy

Old 02-03-2003, 10:04 PM
justnews

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
Bamboo rhizomes will easily pierce rubber pond liners.
So will Phragmites.

[snip]

I've heard a couple of opinions that state the bamboo rhizome will self seal
after piercing the pond liner. Even if the rhizome dies it may be a long
time before it decays enough for the liner to leak.

Darrell

Old 03-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Beecrofter

"justnews" wrote in message thlink.net...
"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
Bamboo rhizomes will easily pierce rubber pond liners.
So will Phragmites.

[snip]

I've heard a couple of opinions that state the bamboo rhizome will self seal
after piercing the pond liner. Even if the rhizome dies it may be a long
time before it decays enough for the liner to leak.

Darrell

It might eventually. But the fish and plants and pumps kind of depend
on continuous water.