Old 18-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Registered User

Default hole in pond liner

i recently put a pond in my garden , im starting to get concerned on how the water level is dropping , ive used a pond liner , if there is a hole in the pond liner can it be fixed , and with what type of products
any help would be appericated
Old 18-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

How much is your water level dropping per day, where are you and what has the weather been like? Do you have any pumped water features running into the pond?

For liner patching I would use double sided liner seaming tape with a piece of scrap liner over that BUT the liner has to be BONE dry for the tape to stick
Old 18-06-2006, 02:22 PM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö

Yes it can be fixed. depends o n what type liner yu have but they are
all essentially are the same process.........Check out any big box
store like Lowes or Home Depot they all sell repair kits.

Are yu sure yu have a leak or is the water level dropping from
evaporation?

Old 18-06-2006, 03:10 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default hole in pond liner - (there are 2 koi-los on this NG)

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"tolwoods" wrote in message

i recently put a pond in my garden , im starting to get concerned on how
the water level is dropping , ive used a pond liner , if there is a hole
in the pond liner can it be fixed , and with what type of products
any help would be appericated

================================
When the weather is sunny and hot a pond can lose an inch or more a day.
Mine are. Make sure you have a leak before spending money on repair kits.
If you do have a leak they can be repaired, but make sure you purchase the
correct kit. I tried to repair a liner but the patch would not stick
properly. The man at the shop and at Lowe's examined a small piece I cut
off to show them, but neither could identify the material. Since we didn't
know what it was made of (it was given to us) we replaced the liner.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 18-06-2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

For liner patching I would use double sided liner seaming
tape with a piece of scrap liner over that BUT the liner
has to be BONE dry for the tape to stick

Yes, bone dry and of course _clean_ ..!

BTW: They offer special pond liner tapes, too.

@ OP:

Have you found the location of the leak..?
--
cu
Marco
Old 18-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean mckinney
How much is your water level dropping per day, where are you and what has the weather been like? Do you have any pumped water features running into the pond?

For liner patching I would use double sided liner seaming tape with a piece of scrap liner over that BUT the liner has to be BONE dry for the tape to stick
yes the wheather has been very hot in the north east maybe the water level has droped due to the heat ,i would say water level drops about 1/2 inch a day , i do have a water fall feature were water is splasping over the sides slightly
Old 19-06-2006, 03:17 AM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö

I bet you do not have a leak its all lost through evaporation and
probably splashing from the waterfall. Add in just a small amount of
breeze and a heap of water is lost very easy.

Old 19-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

1/2 " per day is a fair lot through just evapouration but splashes from a waterfall can 'consume' a lot of water.
I took quite a bit of time when seting up my waterfalls to ensure that the spalshes fell in areas that directed the water back to the stream or pond. Try shifting presumably rocks or pebbles about to lessen the splashing or direct it to safer areas. When you have eliminated the water feature as a source of water loss then check the loss rate from the pond.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:39 PM
klb klb is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolwoods View Post
i recently put a pond in my garden , im starting to get concerned on how the water level is dropping , ive used a pond liner , if there is a hole in the pond liner can it be fixed , and with what type of products
any help would be appericated
a dog got into my pond and i am loosing water how can i determine where the holes are