Old 25-06-2006, 04:54 AM posted to rec.ponds
GoldLexus

Default Possible burned out pump? New pump suggestions...

Our waterfall pump stopped working today At first we thought that the
cicuit breaker just tripped, althought,that is not a usual occurance. We
pushed the buttons on the gfc and check the breakers in the breaker box but
it didn't turn back on. We unplugged it and plugged it back in and the
waterfall turned on. YA! So we thought. Ten minutes later it stopped again.
Hubby went to unplug it and plug it back in but noticed that the plug was
really hot, the wire was hot as well. He unplugged and plugged back in but
no go booohooo. We are guessing that the pump has gone bad. The pump is
at least 6 years old, not sure we just moved here 3 years ago but I think I
remember the former owns mentioning when they built the water fall.
Does it sound like a bad pump??
My other question is for pump recommendations. The pump that is in the pond
is submerssible but not an actual pond pump. Here is the specs. of our
current pump

Goulds Submersible sewage pump
Pump

.. Solids handling capabilities:

2" maximum.

.. Capacities: up to 220 GPM.

.. Total heads: up to 81 feet TDH.

.. Discharge size: 2" NPT

threaded companion flange

as standard. 3" option

available but must be ordered

separately. (Order no. A1-3)

Our waterfall has a WOW factor, we don't want to loose that. The new pump
doesn't need to match the above specs. but need to at least provide a good
waterflow. The water is pumped up a 14 foot incline to the top.

Here is a link to a video of our waterfall so you can see the effect we
would like.

http://media.putfile.com/Pond-Video

One thing for sure about our old pump it costs A LOT to run!!! About
$75.00-$90 a month more!!!! Is that normal?

Sure would like some advice on what pump to get. We are novices with ponding
so could use some ideas.

Thanks!!!!

Old 25-06-2006, 02:28 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cuttysark

Typical for a pump like that. Odds are it wasnot intended to be
operated continuous duty as most sump type pumps are not made for
continuous duty. There is lots of pumps out there that wil work,
Pondmaster (Hy-Drive series) makes good submersibles, Laguna makes
good sub. I would stay away from Cal pump. I have mixed feelings
about Beckett and Little Giant brand pumps.....but others say they are
just fine. I do not think finding a suitable pond pump as such with
those specs are going to be as easy or at least not 100%.......sump
pumps do it fast and hard but in short periods, and what yur looking
for is a longterm perferomance.....While a real water fall pump may be
somewhat cheaper than a sump pump to ooperate they still are not as
efficient as a external pump is. Is replumbing a external pump in to
provide water flow an option......if so check out Sequence line of
pumps.

Cyprio Prima also makes a good high head high flow pump suited for
waterfalls.

Best lowest prices with free shipping on most items is found at A Z
Ponds Great company to deal with and the free shiping and low prices
are hard to beat, for quality made items.

submersible pumps are aat:
http://www.azponds.com/subpumps.htm

http://www.azponds.com/

Old 25-06-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.ponds
G Pearce

First, by-pass the GFIC circuit to eliminate it as the problem with a heavy
gauge extension cord plugged into a different circuit - I had that happen 2
yrs ago and almost replaced the pump before ckecking that and am now running
the same pump today on a new GFIC breaker- the pump you are running pulls a
lot of elect and may have done in the GFIC - if the pump is done (i.e. it
still needs to be replaced there are pumps that are more energy efficient,
but just remember to check the gph output at the head you are actually
pumping to - on the more energy efficient models, the gph drops a lot faster
as you pump to a higher "head" , or you will lose your "WOW" factor
Gale :~)

Old 25-06-2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
Our waterfall pump stopped working today At first we thought that the
cicuit breaker just tripped, althought,that is not a usual occurance. We
pushed the buttons on the gfc and check the breakers in the breaker box
but it didn't turn back on. .........

==========================
We had a similar thing happen last summer. When we took the bottom off the
pump we found water had managed to get past the seal. We dried it out,
greased and reset the seal and the pump is back in business (Big Versa).
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 25-06-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.ponds
Whodunit

yea yea yea Carol, like you know a dam thing about a natural or
bentonite lined pond that would be of interest to you. $3.98 kiddy
pools are your thing. Whats a matter dearie, not enough folks in these
groups to impress with your vast knowledge....not enough folks pay
attention to you on the web based forum, so now your getting
unselective in what and who you want to reply to, just as long as you
can reply and get a response.......the old attention whore is not
getting as much attention these days and its killing
her.......hahahahahaha

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:11:11 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ¤?¤@ö½.Õ..Õ¢ wrote:

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
Our waterfall pump stopped working today At first we thought that the
cicuit breaker just tripped, althought,that is not a usual occurance. We
pushed the buttons on the gfc and check the breakers in the breaker box
but it didn't turn back on. .........

==========================
We had a similar thing happen last summer.

This is almost always a standard typical reply by Carol Gulley.,
Whatever somone else has happen it has already happened to her first.

When we took the bottom off the
pump we found water had managed to get past the seal.

Yea, lies lies lies. The only thing yu r capable of taking off is yur
panties...........whats this wee stuff..you actually run into a patron
that needed help in getting you out of your drawers Carol?

We dried it out,
greased and reset the seal and the pump is back in business (Big Versa).

In other words you got his pecker dried off then got it hard again,
put on a new condom, slicked it up with K-Y jelly and did a round of
anal and had a good one......Is big Versa code for getting an anal
work out Carol? hahahahahahahaBesides being an attenntion whore your
just a plain old ho!

Old 25-06-2006, 08:43 PM posted to rec.ponds
GoldLexus

I realize the pump is not intended to run continuously. But it has ran for
six years. The first year is ran all year. The second-sixth year it ran 4
months of the year continuously. It runs all spring and summer long and shut
down for the winter.
Thank you for all the pump suggestions!!! I will be researching further. The
sump pump is an electrical hog so it would be nice to find something a bit
more energy efficient.

Old 25-06-2006, 08:52 PM posted to rec.ponds
GoldLexus

I am a little hesitant to bypass the gfic. The pump runs on I believe a 220
circuit. It use to be plugged into the houses external electrical outlet but
over time it fried that outlet. So the previous owner had an electrican
install both a 110 and 220 outlets in the 'pump house' (actually the pump
house has an pressurized filter setup in it along with the electrial lines
that are ran underground up into the pump house.) We have the pond lights
plugged into the 110 side (it has room for 2 things to be plugged into,
right now it also has our 'winter' pump running the little fountain. We need
to keep our fish happy and healthy while the waterfall pump is down) the
waterfall pump is plugged into the 220 side (only one plug in) The 110 side
is working.
All this to say I am afraid to plug the pump into a regular house outlet via
extension cord. Is there other ways to test the gfic? A tester of some sort?
I don't know much about electricity but I remember what the previous owner
has told me.
Thanks!!!!!

Old 25-06-2006, 09:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cuttysark

T o be honest and eliminate any possibility of someone getting
shocked or killed in the process of troubleshooting this pump of
yours. your two main options a

1. call up an electrician and lay it on him to checkout if its the
GFCI or pump or both

2. Just order a new pump and hope it was the pump.

I do suppose your 220 side of the outlets has a special shaped plug
in.and not the typical shaped recepticle! If not it should really be
changed to a 220 outlet device to preclude someone in teh futiure
getting hurt if a 110 item is plugged in there. I have seen 115 vac
outlets used to power 220 and its not safe to do. LOts of folks skimp
on a 220 device thinking they will remember, but most forget.
I personally do not think advising anyone on how to do or take a pump
apart and repair it espeically like Koi Lo stated espeically on a
submersible pump and then not get everything back right and get somone
killed. Even if those foks are good at what they do, Its still a bad
situati9on andmay be deadly espeically when yu do not kow these
information giving people from the man in the moon. Would yu do heart
surgery guided by jerks on the internet, when there is not one iota of
proof of who they are or of their credentials....FOOLISH?

Call an electrician or take pump to repair service center for that
brand of pump. Listening to fools like Koi Lo can get you killed, she
has been known to give out info that foks used and killed their fish
in the process and ahumaanm life is not worth using her so called
knowledge of anything especially electrical or life related.

Old 25-06-2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy~

Default Possible burned out pump? Cutty Sark and Whodunit are my sockpuppets.......

I gotta use socks and impersonate Ed... cause everyones ignorning me as
Roy. I beat up old granmothers like Koi-Lo. Dont' like.... it tough shit.