Old 05-07-2006, 10:47 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Best time of day to test water

Hi, is there a better time of day to test PH/Alkalinity then others? I
notice I'm getting swings AM/PM of PH from 7.5 to 8.5 and my KH is
around 130ppm. I may increase KH to try and stabilize but the fish
seem healthy. Any particular time better then others to treat (add
chems) the pond?

BTW I'm using an aquamat and the fish seem to enjoy playing/eating in
them. I may get a couple of more as I have no plants (not sure if I
really want them). Are there any (taller) "grasses" one can keep at
the bottom of the pond that the fish can hide/play in?

Thanks.

Old 05-07-2006, 04:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, is there a better time of day to test PH/Alkalinity then others? I
notice I'm getting swings AM/PM of PH from 7.5 to 8.5 and my KH is
around 130ppm. I may increase KH to try and stabilize but the fish
seem healthy. Any particular time better then others to treat (add
chems) the pond?

My ponds also have PH swings over the course of the day. My fish have
adjusted and their fry are thriving. We have hundreds of fry again this
year. :-)

BTW I'm using an aquamat and the fish seem to enjoy playing/eating in
them. I may get a couple of more as I have no plants (not sure if I
really want them). Are there any (taller) "grasses" one can keep at
the bottom of the pond that the fish can hide/play in?

Canadian pond weed, American Valisneria and hornwart all do well in alkaline
water.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 05-07-2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.ponds
WHAtkinsJR

Well its easy to say Carol Gulley aka koi lo jsuty could not resist
repl;ying even though she did not address yur question since she does
not have a clue.......she gets paid by the post, not the content.

Test your water from about 9 or 10 am up until about 4 or 5....its
perfectlay naatural for PH to drop during nighttime hours, as there is
an influx of co2 at night which laters ph level.....once the sun comes
back out during daylight hours yur ph once again will change as co2 is
used by the plants and o2 is given off as waste.

Keep the long grasses out ands save your money and back in keeping
filters clean and having them get torn up by the fish. They are fine
in what they have now, and it requires no mainteneance. ANy oli g
grass or totally submerged plants wil not last all that long with
fish.

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:04:19 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ¤?¤@ö½.Õ..Õ¢ wrote:

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi, is there a better time of day to test PH/Alkalinity then others? I
notice I'm getting swings AM/PM of PH from 7.5 to 8.5 and my KH is
around 130ppm. I may increase KH to try and stabilize but the fish
seem healthy. Any particular time better then others to treat (add
chems) the pond?

My ponds also have PH swings over the course of the day. My fish have
adjusted and their fry are thriving. We have hundreds of fry again this
year. :-)

BTW I'm using an aquamat and the fish seem to enjoy playing/eating in
them. I may get a couple of more as I have no plants (not sure if I
really want them). Are there any (taller) "grasses" one can keep at
the bottom of the pond that the fish can hide/play in?

Canadian pond weed, American Valisneria and hornwart all do well in alkaline
water.

You can reach -Ed Alston at

Old 05-07-2006, 06:47 PM posted to rec.ponds
WHAtkinsJRoy

Hmmm...never seen a mother ****ing post by you before rottyguy, you
been hiding behind Eds apron strings or up lickiing my fat
asscrack..Go crawl back into your slime filled ******** and shut the
**** up jerk. BTW Thank you for your email address. you little
ignorant dumb**** without a clue.

Some of my socks.I change em ever yday.

~Roy~
Roy Hauer
WHAtkinsJR
Roy-Lo the USENET net ho-monger
WHAtkinsJR
Dan Rather
ChipmakerRoy
Stan&SallySkipper
Shastadaisey
Wendalen
Wëndãlen©
Roy
Dalmanio
HawgFish
Ontario Ponder
Ed-Roy-Lo
Roy-Ed
-ED
Cuttysark
Roy-Wendalen
Shastadaisey-Roy

You can reach -Ed Alston at

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 10:16:06 -0500, WHAtkinsJR
wrote:

[...]

groups.com...