Old 14-04-2003, 01:20 AM
JM Saturn

Default DIY floating plant island

does anyone have info on how to build a natural looking floating plant island
for home pond. Guess my last post got booted off before i could check it..any
help would be appreciated
Old 15-04-2003, 10:20 AM
adavisus

(JM Saturn) wrote in message ...
does anyone have info on how to build a natural looking floating plant island
for home pond. Guess my last post got booted off before i could check it..any
help would be appreciated

A neat method I come across in other forums is to make plant islands,
where the roots are enclosed in largish black net bags, useful for
water hyacinths, parrots feather, plants which have some buoyancy and
knot well together. Useful when koi are breeding, the islands tend to
be spawned on so the eggs can be transferred on live plants that
fringe the island. Something like a hula hoop with net sown on it like
a giant round net.

A bit bothersome to make, but it would work, creating shade and a
hiding place for fish from predators

With many fish products lacking in protein and 'live' food, the
islands create a harbour for tasty morsels to colonise, the likes of
bloodworms, crustaceans would perk the smaller kois some

Curtaining a section of the pond, or creating plant islands is such a
simple method, it amazes me so few folk do it when the kois decide to
beat the plants up. Floating a well planted large black tub works well
too, a handy place for growing on surplus tiddlers...

regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys aquatic plant list for interesting swaps)

Non-floating Plants Floating Root BB[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 9 29-07-2008 12:18 AM
Floating Plant's Floating roots? BB[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 8 04-07-2008 09:22 PM
DIY Floating Fountain ideas Bill Stock Ponds (moderated) 6 14-06-2008 10:47 AM
Floating plant divider?? jammer Ponds 14 20-04-2003 07:44 AM
how to build natural looking floating island JM Saturn Ponds 0 13-04-2003 08:32 PM