Old 14-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Carl Beyer

Default Foam in waterfall

I have looked into a number of books, and don't seem to see why this
might be happening or what the solution is.

White foam is on the top of my pond (450 gal). I recently added a
couple of Koi and a few goldfish. I do not yet have a UV Filter, but do
have a biological that is still breaking in.

Thanks for any suggestions

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 14-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Bob

The foam is most likely disolved organic compounds (DOCs). You can buy
products to help remove them, or you could do a couple of water changes to
dilute it a little bit. On the other hand, it could be the fish spawning,
but since you just added them, I don't think that's it.

Hope this helps,
Bob

--

Take ME away to reply

Checkout my pond at:
Http://members.tripod.com/Trains99
Click on My Pond button on the left

Old 15-04-2003, 06:08 PM
James Cook

"Bob" wrote in message
The foam is most likely disolved organic compounds (DOCs). You can buy
products to help remove them, or you could do a couple of water changes to
dilute it a little bit. On the other hand, it could be the fish spawning,
but since you just added them, I don't think that's it.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Bob's right. The waterfall forces minute bubbles of air under the surface,
the DOC's cling to these bubbles and are brought up to the surface where the
bubbles then burst leaving the waste on the surface as a scum or foam.
Marine aquarium owners will have a device that recreates this process called
a 'Protein Skimmer' as it is an efficient way of removing waste from the
water - you simply remove the foam! It really shouldn't happen in your pond
however if everything is ok.

Old 20-04-2003, 04:09 AM
~ jan

Over feeding the fish can cause it too. Especially since you mentioned the
bio-filter is new. Did you rinse all the pads? Activated carbon can remove
it. ~ jan

Carl Beyer wrote:

I have looked into a number of books, and don't seem to see why this
might be happening or what the solution is.

White foam is on the top of my pond (450 gal). I recently added a
couple of Koi and a few goldfish. I do not yet have a UV Filter, but do
have a biological that is still breaking in.

Thanks for any suggestions

Carl

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/