Old 18-02-2003, 07:51 PM
D Kat

Default 18" of Snow on Long Island - yes this too is global warming

After failing to find a water heater anywhere locally I went out and bought
an air bubbler to keep a hole open in the pond. It was doing such a gallant
job and then we got over 18" of snow in one day. I can't even see where the
pond exists let alone a hole somewhere in the vast blanket of white on our
back yard. even the chairs and benches are under. I have to laugh at the
misconception folks have of global warming, thinking it means we will all
have San Diego weather when in fact what it means is that with the ocean
covering most of our earth being the heat sink and the weather maker we will
have more extremes of all weather. The "snowstorm of the century" was just
a few years ago and we missed beating that record by a couple of inches.
The previous 2 record beaters were I believe since 1988. DKat

Old 19-02-2003, 01:03 AM
Lawrence

"D Kat" wrote in message
[...]

LOL! I just love this "global warming." It's the perfect explanation for
everything. If it's hot, it's global warming. If it's cold, it's global
warming. And then, of course, if it IS global warming it is undeniably
caused by humans -- even though the so-called "greenhouse gasses" are
produced in far greater quantities by the Earth itself. Mt. Pinatubo
belched out more "greenhouse gasses" in one eruption than man has put in the
atmosphere since the dawn of time. Mankind has been on this planet for a
relatively short period of time. Could this "global warming" not just be
part of a naturally occurring cycle that takes an incredibly long time (from
the human point of view) to complete?

Old 19-02-2003, 03:03 AM
Bob H

Yet here in the inland pacific northwest we have had hardly a trace of the
expected snow, all winter we have had 2-2" "storms" and a dusting or two we
have had a record low snowfall:-(, in fact, I have been outside over the
long weekend working on the sand base for my new pond as the daytime temps
have been in the mid 40's (should be in the 20-30 range)...I want your
snow..........I miss winter :-)

Old 19-02-2003, 04:27 AM
jammer

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:01:51 -0800, "Bob H"
wrote:

Yet here in the inland pacific northwest we have had hardly a trace of the
expected snow, all winter we have had 2-2" "storms" and a dusting or two we
have had a record low snowfall:-(, in fact, I have been outside over the
long weekend working on the sand base for my new pond as the daytime temps
have been in the mid 40's (should be in the 20-30 range)...I want your
snow..........I miss winter :-)

I missed our annual dusting, but it aint over til it's over...

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 19-02-2003, 06:03 AM
will

I live in Austin, Tx.

This year, I was able to wake up and find about a handful of snow on the
hood of my car.

Last year, we had a little bit of snow fall. It was enough to see it in
the sky, but not enough to even touch the ground.

About 10 yrs ago, we had enough snow for a few snowballs.

That is the history of our winter weather for the past 16 years that I
have been here.

-will

Old 19-02-2003, 07:27 PM
DKat

See this is exactly what I'm talking about! Of COURSE there has been
climate and environmental change since the beginning of the earth's
environment. At one point we did not have an oxygen based atmosphere but
anerobic organisms poisoned themselves almost out of existence with their
"waste" product, oxygen, and we oxygen breathers took their place. Of
course comets, vocanos and the like have changed the climate. That does not
negate the fact that we are changing the atmosphere and climate as well and
that the change that we are creating may do us more harm than we as
individuals can handle. That "belching" volcano has a relative short term
effect and the participates it put in the upper atmosphere actually cool the
earth. What we have been doing since the industrial age has been constant
and increasing.

Let's put it this way. You know that ice age where most of the earth was
covered with glaciers? Well that occurred with a change of global
temperture of about 9 degrees. It is beginning to look as if we are going
to surpass that but in the opposite direction. There are no reputable
scientist at this point that do not acknowlege that we are going through
global warming caused by man and that it is going to bring about more
droughts, floods, extremes of snow fall and lack of snow fall (drought
remember), hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. Personally I am a fan of change and
don't have a problem with it but those folks living on flood plains better
think of moving upground.

hlink.net...

Old 19-02-2003, 08:27 PM
joe

DKat wrote:

[...]

"Lawrence" wrote in message
hlink.net...

LOL! I just love this "global warming." It's the perfect explanation for
everything. If it's hot, it's global warming. If it's cold, it's global
warming. And then, of course, if it IS global warming it is undeniably
caused by humans -- even though the so-called "greenhouse gasses" are
produced in far greater quantities by the Earth itself. Mt. Pinatubo
belched out more "greenhouse gasses" in one eruption than man has put in

the
atmosphere since the dawn of time. Mankind has been on this planet for a
relatively short period of time. Could this "global warming" not just be
part of a naturally occurring cycle that takes an incredibly long time

(from
the human point of view) to complete?

You guys might all benefit from reading a book called "Extinction -
Evolution and the end of man" by Michael Boulter.

Joe

Old 20-02-2003, 04:03 AM
Nedra

Ingrid, I'm curious. How many millions of years will this take?

Nedra

wrote in message
actually, it is global warming that precipitates an ice age. the warmth

melts
glaciers that affect the movement of the gulf stream and without the gulf

stream N.
Europe cools off and we head into an ice age. once that starts there isnt

any "fix"
Ingrid

Old 20-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Nedra

I understand that the hole is - or has repaired itself.
I heard this on TV last year.

Nedra

"MLF" wrote in message

"K30a" wrote:
Does anybody remember the global *cooling*
theory that was all the worry in the 70s.

Actually, it's more than a theory, it's a sure thing. Given the
continuing and increasing introduction of various chemicals and carbon
dioxide into the atmosphere, it's going to happen.

The issue was not if, but when. Right now, the effect seems to be
negligible, or at least too small to be measured reliably. The hole in
the ozone is a real thing, but no one really knows if it is a cyclical
effect or if it is actually getting bigger. Therefore there's the
current debate among ultrarightwing conservatives who deny it's effects
despite growing evidence that it does (at least to some extent) and the
leftist alarmists who declare the sky is falling despite fairly weak
evidence that it is.

My guess is that the jury is still out on the issue and the truth (as
usual) is somewhere in between.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 22-02-2003, 02:39 AM
Lawrence

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...
"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
I understand that the hole is - or has repaired itself.
I heard this on TV last year.

I read somewhere that the inhabitants of Antarctica cut on their use of
hairspray which helped.

BV.

But those penguins STILL keep their hair shiny and manageable. I wonder
how they do that without hairspray?

Old 22-02-2003, 02:39 AM
Lawrence

"DKat" wrote in message
. net...
See this is exactly what I'm talking about! Of COURSE there has been
climate and environmental change since the beginning of the earth's
environment. At one point we did not have an oxygen based atmosphere but
anerobic organisms poisoned themselves almost out of existence with their
"waste" product, oxygen, and we oxygen breathers took their place. Of
course comets, vocanos and the like have changed the climate. That does

not
negate the fact that we are changing the atmosphere and climate as well

and
that the change that we are creating may do us more harm than we as
individuals can handle. That "belching" volcano has a relative short term
effect and the participates it put in the upper atmosphere actually cool

the
earth.

So it's only the "manmade" greenhouse gasses which cause harm? Sounds like
junk science to me.

What we have been doing since the industrial age has been constant
and increasing.

Actually, by far most of the warming to have occurred in the 20th century
took place BEFORE 1940. It hasn't been at all constant and is not
increasing.

Let's put it this way. You know that ice age where most of the earth was
covered with glaciers? Well that occurred with a change of global
temperture of about 9 degrees. It is beginning to look as if we are going
to surpass that but in the opposite direction. There are no reputable
scientist at this point that do not acknowlege that we are going through
global warming caused by man and that it is going to bring about more
droughts, floods, extremes of snow fall and lack of snow fall (drought
remember), hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. Personally I am a fan of change

and
don't have a problem with it but those folks living on flood plains better
think of moving upground.

hlink.net...

Old 22-02-2003, 02:51 PM
K30a

Does anybody remember the global *cooling*
theory that was all the worry in the 70s.

k30a
Old 23-02-2003, 07:03 AM
Tom La Bron

Lawrence,

Personally, I think too many people have been reading Al Gore's book
on the environment, which, of course, was condemned by virtually the
entire scientific community as drivel.

As far as belching volcanos go the one that went up in the Phillipines
sent the equivalent into the air of all the pollution that had been
created by man totally for the last 400 years. And as I remember my
history, when Krakatua exploded in 1883 it created crop failures for
almost two years worldwide.

It is universally accepted in the scientific community if the
worldwide temperatures dropped 5 degree there would be another Ice Age
and any thing higher than that would virtually be the end of humans
here on earth.

The earth moves in cycles and with all the volcano eruptions that
occur every year throwing millions of tons of pollutates into the
atmosphere I would seem that the earth that a certain capacity to work
it out.

Global warming is more of convience than actual fact to make a point.

Tom L.L.

Tom L.L.
"Lawrence" wrote in message hlink.net...
. net...