GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Water wheel? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/149490-water-wheel.html)

Bill Stock 10-09-2006 09:49 PM

Water wheel?

Has anyone built a water wheel rather than a waterfall? I was trying to
dream up ways to hide my filter barrels (wip) without taking up too much
room. So I thought if I built a narrow mill house beside the pond, I could
hang a water wheel over the pond and save myself some space. The one problem
I foresee is that the water required to turn the wheel (3') will be far less
than the filter outputs. I'll need to split the filter output and channel
most of the water straight back into the pond.

Has anyone built one? Any design/material tips? I'd like it to be fairly
light, since I won't have a support post on the outside of the wheel. I was
thinking I could use the weight of the barrels to counterbalance the wheel.
Of course cleaning the barrels might present a problem. :) I've seen a few
built out of plywood, but I don't imagine they would hold up to water that
well.

Any tips appreciated.

keith_nuttle 10-09-2006 10:58 PM

Water wheel?

I believe the amount of water would depend on whether the wheel is an
under shot wheel or over shot.

With the overshot wheel the weight of the water in each of the buckets
moves the wheel, while the undershot wheel would depend on the current.

Bill Stock 11-09-2006 02:20 AM

Water wheel?

"keith_nuttle" wrote in message
I believe the amount of water would depend on whether the wheel is an under
shot wheel or over shot.

With the overshot wheel the weight of the water in each of the buckets
moves the wheel, while the undershot wheel would depend on the current.

Overshot. Most of the ones I've seen only use about 200 gph for a 4ft wheel.
So 2000 gph might be a bit much for my little 3' wheel.

Hal[_1_] 11-09-2006 01:03 PM

Water wheel?

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:49:36 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

Has anyone built one? Any design/material tips? I'd like it to be fairly
light, since I won't have a support post on the outside of the wheel. I was
thinking I could use the weight of the barrels to counterbalance the wheel.
Of course cleaning the barrels might present a problem. :) I've seen a few
built out of plywood, but I don't imagine they would hold up to water that
well.

Never built one, but my father spoke of cypress as the wood most
desirable for well curbing's and water contact. However you might
find this site interesting:
http://www.waterwheelfactory.com/index.htm

Regards,

Hal

chip 15-09-2006 12:29 AM

Water wheel?

Lesee' if you had a waterwheel to generate the electricity to run the pumps
to move the water over the wheel then you could have a self-sustaining
system- perpetual motion. Eureka! The trick would be in the priming of the
system.
Chip