Old 16-09-2006, 12:45 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Washing plastic barrels?

I bought some barrels for my pond filter. SO how do I wash them to make sure
they are fish safe? They were supposed to be food safe, but who nows.
Although they are the same shape, they did not have the same contents.

I was going to Pressure Wash them, soak in water and bleach, (2 days), add
baking soda for a bit and wash again. Perhaps with a does of dechlorinator.

Any other thoughts?

Old 16-09-2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Cleokatra" wrote in message
I bought some barrels for my pond filter. SO how do I wash them to make
sure they are fish safe? They were supposed to be food safe, but who nows.
Although they are the same shape, they did not have the same contents.

Do you know what was actually in them? If it was food then they should be
safe with a good rinse. If there's still some food residue use a Toughie
Pad after soaking the barrels awhile.

I was going to Pressure Wash them, soak in water and bleach, (2 days), add
baking soda for a bit and wash again. Perhaps with a does of
dechlorinator.

Bleach? If harmful chemicals were in them I doubt Bleach would remove it.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 16-09-2006, 02:12 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:45:13 -0400, "Cleokatra"
wrote:

I bought some barrels for my pond filter. SO how do I wash them to make sure
they are fish safe? They were supposed to be food safe, but who nows.
Although they are the same shape, they did not have the same contents.

Just wash them like you would a dish you would eat from. You would
only need to remove any food oils to prevent them floating on the top
of the pond. I used soap barrels from a car wash and just rinsed
the detergent out and connected pipes to form the filtering system.

I see no benefit from laundry (chlorine) bleach, unless they have been
left out in the weather and have algae growing in them and you wish to
start off with a clean looking barrel. Even if there were, the algae
would probably be overcome shortly by another variety growing in the
pond.

Regards,

Hal
Old 16-09-2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Köi-Lö" wrote in message

"Cleokatra" wrote in message
I bought some barrels for my pond filter. SO how do I wash them to make
sure they are fish safe? They were supposed to be food safe, but who nows.
Although they are the same shape, they did not have the same contents.

Do you know what was actually in them? If it was food then they should be
safe with a good rinse. If there's still some food residue use a Toughie
Pad after soaking the barrels awhile.

I was going to Pressure Wash them, soak in water and bleach, (2 days),
add baking soda for a bit and wash again. Perhaps with a does of
dechlorinator.

Bleach? If harmful chemicals were in them I doubt Bleach would remove it.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö ~~~~ }((((({*

Cayenne was in one, the others I don't know. 55 gallons of Cayenne, that's a
lot of Chile. :-)

Old 16-09-2006, 09:27 PM posted to rec.ponds

food safe is good for fish. I guess I wouldnt use bleach on plastic. just a good
rinse and take a good smell, there should be no smell of plastic off gassing. Ingrid

"Cleokatra" wrote:

I bought some barrels for my pond filter. SO how do I wash them to make sure
they are fish safe? They were supposed to be food safe, but who nows.
Although they are the same shape, they did not have the same contents.

I was going to Pressure Wash them, soak in water and bleach, (2 days), add
baking soda for a bit and wash again. Perhaps with a does of dechlorinator.

Any other thoughts?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 17-09-2006, 02:05 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Cleokatra" wrote in message

"Köi-Lö" wrote in message

Bleach? If harmful chemicals were in them I doubt Bleach would remove
it.
--

Cayenne was in one, the others I don't know. 55 gallons of Cayenne, that's
a lot of Chile. :-)

==================
That's for sure. I would think a good rinse with hot water would remove it.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 28-09-2006, 05:35 PM posted to rec.ponds

I am going to go ahead and disagree with everyone so far ;-) from my
stand point I would wash them out with the beach and dechlor them
really good. WHY? because what if? what if a little kid already put
bleach in them what if there was copper in them.... endless possabiles.
I would do it just because I wouldnt want to risk my or my customers
fish especially over maybe $10 and some time............. but the
decision is yours

Definitive Aquarium, Inc
Custom Installation & Maintenance of Aquarium, Koi Ponds & Water
Features
8014 Olsen Memorial Highway #255
Golden Valley, MN 55427

href="http://definitiveaquarium.com"http://definitiveaquarium.com/a

Cleokatra wrote:
I bought some barrels for my pond filter. SO how do I wash them to make sure
they are fish safe? They were supposed to be food safe, but who nows.
Although they are the same shape, they did not have the same contents.

I was going to Pressure Wash them, soak in water and bleach, (2 days), add
baking soda for a bit and wash again. Perhaps with a does of dechlorinator.

Any other thoughts?

30-Litre OPEN-TOP (with SCREW-ON lid) Plastic Barrels - many available Barrelman Marketplace 0 24-08-2008 03:32 AM
GÃœRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 05-06-2007 08:11 AM
55 Gallon Plastic Barrels Texas 3 17-10-2006 07:17 PM
FS: 55 Gallon Plastic Barrels Jeff North Carolina 0 25-07-2005 10:41 PM
Plastic barrels, vortex and muck Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 0 06-05-2003 06:20 AM