Old 20-09-2006, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default spawning media

I want to let my koi spawn, because I want new fish but I don't want to
quarantine them. I have prevented hatching by not providing cover, so the
eggs are eaten up. What do y'all think of this idea.
I thought of getting shower scrubbies and stringing them tightly on a cord,
like popcorn garland on a Christmas tree. Then I would hang them on the
side of the pond for the fish to rub against and to catch the eggs and milt.
They would be easy to gather up and move to a protected enclosure in the
pond for hatching.
Would this work? Would the eggs lodge in the net? Someone suggested buying
spawning brushes, but they are green. If they would work better, I would go
ahead and get them, but would they?
BTW, there is no real spawning season here. It stays warm enough, long
enough that they spawn throughout the year, except in the dead of winter.
Any other ideas?

Old 20-09-2006, 05:55 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
[...]

Life finds a way, in the absence of ideal spawning media, the fish will find
the next best thing. Sections of thick hemp rope, window screen material,
sunscreen fabric (tent window mesh), milk crates with green scouring pads,
tuffy pads, etc.

I use a few upside down milk crates, they provide caves for the fry to hide
in until they get large enough.

-S

spawning! Carolyn Ponds 1 09-07-2003 02:48 AM
Odiferous spawning? Sue Alexandre Ponds 8 03-07-2003 07:32 AM
Spawning. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 19 28-04-2003 10:32 PM
Spawning Part II MPEG Video of My Koi spawning are now on mad Ponds 0 29-03-2003 03:32 PM
Spawning Part II MPEG Video of My Koi spawning are now on line. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 7 28-03-2003 05:32 AM