Old 15-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Ted

Default AlgaeFix anyone??

I was wondering if anyone on the newsgroup has tried AlgaeFix. It is
supposed to kill the floating algae without harming the plants or fish. I
have done two doses per the instructions in the last week and my water seems
to be clearing up, I can see down about 5" now where I couldnt before.

--
Thanks,
Lisa

Old 15-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

It is one item that I know for sure works.

I have used it many times. But....you need to clean the detached algae out
of your pond, unless you want to fight MOAA (Mother of all algae)

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 15-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Steve J. Noll

I've just started using it myself after a string algae outbreak.
I've been told to not let the string algae get out of hand, and
I see it sure can (this is a Koi pond, BTW). The weather is not yet
supporting floating plants that would compete with it, otherwise
I'd rather not use it. I have a UV which does take care of the
pea soup algae. I wish there was a fix for the string algae that
didn't bother the algae that grows on the pond walls & floor.
The AlgaeFix doesn't seem to bother my water lilies or any
other plants, as advertised.

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 00:59:19 GMT, "Ted"
wrote:

I was wondering if anyone on the newsgroup has tried AlgaeFix. It is
supposed to kill the floating algae without harming the plants or fish. I
have done two doses per the instructions in the last week and my water seems
to be clearing up, I can see down about 5" now where I couldnt before.

--
Thanks,
Lisa

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)
Old 15-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Ted

So you would recommend the UV light??? I have pea soup and have never had a
problem with string algae. I get full sun from morning to night and am in
South Texas were it is hot!!! I usually get pea soup before all the plants
fill back in.

Old 16-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Steve J. Noll

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:33:21 GMT, "Ted"
wrote:

So you would recommend the UV light??? I have pea soup and have never had a
problem with string algae. I get full sun from morning to night and am in
South Texas were it is hot!!! I usually get pea soup before all the plants
fill back in.

Absolutely!
My pond is also in full sun. Although it's only 9 months old I've
never had a spec of 'pea soup' algae. I'm running an 80W Aqua UV with
my 2500 gallon pond. UV's definitely work on the pea soup. They
don't work on the string algae, though.

Old 16-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Jerrispond

I get full sun from morning to night and am inSouth Texas were it is hot!!!
I usually get pea soup before all the plants
fill back in. I'm running an 80W Aqua UV withmy 2500 gallon pond. UV's

definitely work on the pea soup.

I think you said the magic words....algea until the plants fill back in....I
think if you want an extra expense....and they can be expensive....and you like
gadgets and machines, and you don't mind killing every living thing that is in
the water that goes thru the uv ( including good stuff) then by all means get
a uv light.....If on the other hand you want a natural pond that will clear in
a few weeks, I would spend the hundreds of dollars the uv will cost, and get
a few beautiful lilies. Jerri

Old 17-04-2003, 12:44 AM
~ jan

If you want to become a chemical addict.

Anything that kills is a pesticide, in this case an algaecide. When that
algae dies it dumps all the nitrates, nitrite, etc right back into the
water feeding another algae bloom which requires another dose of chemical.

Don't fret about the String Algae, it WILL go away as your pond matures.
Every time you hit your pond with an algaecide you also kill off the
beneficial fuzz algae that is slower growing, but will eventually out
compete suspended and long string algae.

I have a fully stock koi pond, 16 in 1500 gallons counting the 200 in the
filter. The koi are an average of 12-18 inches. I do not suffer spring
suspended algae bloom, nor do I get any string algae (knock on wood for
saying that now). I do not have a UV. I do screen the pond throughout the
winter and it is fairly shaded from noon to 6pm.

Patience or drug... ah chemical addiction? Wantta guess what your pond
supply vendor is "pushing"? ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 19-04-2003, 05:08 AM
AZKalEl

Sometimes a UV is a great thing. (I was lucky and found mine on
clearance for $39 down from $119--Whoo-hoo!)
Here in Arizona, my pond is crystal clear, with tons of plants, good
bio filtration, and a moderatly stocked fish load. Looks great, lots
of lily pads to cover the surface. This is fine, until...Arizona
Summer! Since we live in a cookie cutter community with a Gestapo--I
mean, Homeowner's Association--and a very small backyard, we don't
have any shade trees or structures we can put up for shade. Once we
hit summer (~110 degrees average), lily pads don't last very long and
I go from about 75% coverage to about 30%, with lots of strong sun and
nice warm algae growing water. Until I started using the UV, I had
murky water until about the end of September, when it cleared up
again. I don't think it's so much the heat as the strong sun that
kills, oh, anything that is not desert native! It just burns up the
leaves. My marginals do pretty good, but the lilies don't really like
it. They thrive in spring though. And I'm sorry, yes it's not 100%
natural, but I want to see my fish! Plus the warm water encourages
parasites, so it helps keep them out. All in all, I'm very happy with
it.
Old 19-04-2003, 04:08 PM
LRobi31070

Sounds great!
Old 21-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Lee Brouillet

Will your Gestapo allow you to put up one of those portable canapys, like
you see at flea markets and art shows? Or what about a (damn! I forgot the
word!) - one of those things that looks like a trellis, only wider that can
be used to offer shade?

om...

Old 25-04-2003, 02:56 AM
AZKalEl

Not sure, I am thinking of making something though. I think as long
as it does not go higher then the back fence it's OK. I thought maybe
a garden trellis look, like a wooden frame with 1x1's laid across the
top spaced about 4-6 inches apart, to let sunlight in but just cut it
down a bit. As the sun moved across the sky so would the shaded lines
on the pond, so it will get sun but in conjunction with periods of
shade. Not sure how it would look though. Thought of making it
easily removable so if I want it out for the cooler months it wouldn't
be a big deal.
Old 27-04-2003, 01:20 AM
NJ

I have a small (850 gal) pond in zone 5b. I have used AlgaeFix with great
success on string algae, following the product directions.

Enjay

Old 27-04-2003, 02:09 PM
adavisus

"Ted" wrote in message m...
I was wondering if anyone on the newsgroup has tried AlgaeFix. It is
supposed to kill the floating algae without harming the plants or fish. I
have done two doses per the instructions in the last week and my water seems
to be clearing up, I can see down about 5" now where I couldnt before.

Never had a serious problem worth a fret with green water here, I keep
a lot of aquatic plants in the pond and that destroys algae most of
the year. If blanketweed ever shows up, a local dose of 0.03ppm of
copper sulphate destroys that. I figure a $7 tub of copper sulphate
should keep algae dead and gone for 10 years or so and that could do a
lot of ponds...

Any chemical 'algae' fix is never going to be anything more than a
short term fix, it is fighting against nature, not a real solution at
all, whereas upping aquatic plants and not overstocking is working
with nature, long term...

I'd be very wary of any kind of 'shelf' product sold for clearing
algae, some are based on vicious herbicides with unknown long term
secondary effects, like killing plants, killing fish... perhaps thats
intended to sell more chemicals to 'fix' the problems that emerge
months after the 'poison' winds its secondary effects out on fish and
plants.

Not what I really want to stick in my pond, deary me no, lol

regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys aquatic plant list for interesting swaps)
http://groups.msn.com/pondplantaquaticplantexchange
-------------------oo--------------------

Old 27-04-2003, 04:20 PM
The3car

I installed a trickle tower (basically lava rock and a bubbler head) in
conjunction with my main stock tank filter and my inital algae bloom, with some
string algae, disappeared in less than a week. All my readings were very low or
zero year long.

Algaefix Habanero Ponds 14 27-05-2006 06:08 PM
Algaefix Habanero Ponds (alternative) 0 22-05-2006 04:26 AM
Algaefix ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 5 06-08-2005 09:53 PM
AlgaeFix and Muriate of Potash Justin Ponds 5 04-07-2003 06:43 AM
AP's "AlgaeFix" and plants (was AP's "Algae-Destroyer") coelacanth Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 19-06-2003 08:56 PM