GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wintering Frog In Pond.. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/150315-wintering-frog-pond.html)

burky 14-10-2006 04:27 PM

Wintering Frog In Pond..

Would anybody have a way to winter a bullfrog in our pond? Have a pond
approx. 2000 gal.
Deepest part not quite 3 ft. deep. No soil,mainly gravel & rocks. Would
appreciate a good idea.

Thanks Paul

Köi-Lö[_3_] 14-10-2006 06:01 PM

Wintering Frog In Pond..

"burky" wrote in message
oups.com...
Would anybody have a way to winter a bullfrog in our pond? Have a pond
approx. 2000 gal.
Deepest part not quite 3 ft. deep. No soil,mainly gravel & rocks. Would
appreciate a good idea.

Why bother the frog? He or she will know exactly how to winter over. :-)
I have several ponds and let them do their thing. Most hide under whatever
littler is on the bottom. Occasionally one dies over the winter and I net
it out in the spring.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

~ janj[_1_] 14-10-2006 07:23 PM

Wintering Frog In Pond..

On 14 Oct 2006 08:27:37 -0700, "burky" wrote:

Would anybody have a way to winter a bullfrog in our pond? Have a pond
approx. 2000 gal.
Deepest part not quite 3 ft. deep. No soil,mainly gravel & rocks. Would
appreciate a good idea.

Thanks Paul

Put a pot of mud on the bottom or shelf where it won't freeze, he'll find
it. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

skelley69 15-11-2006 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burky
Would anybody have a way to winter a bullfrog in our pond? Have a pond
approx. 2000 gal.
Deepest part not quite 3 ft. deep. No soil,mainly gravel & rocks. Would
appreciate a good idea.

Thanks Paul

Paul, the easiest way to do it is close your eyes and open them again in the Spring. Frogs in nature don't ask for our help. He'll have a better chance of survival being left alone to do his own thing rather than being brought indoors into a stuffy aquarium.