GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   state of the pond (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/150964-state-pond.html)

[email protected] 15-11-2006 02:34 AM

state of the pond

well I "winterized" the pond a couple weeks ago, then finally covered it over and
dropped in the 500 watt heater and the temp rose nicely to almost 60 with the warm
spell last week. dropped a bit since then but everyone is happy to see me with food.

now I have to remember to give em some food every 3-4 days. I soooo miss my nice
little back yard and pond in winter. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

~ janj[_1_] 16-11-2006 11:44 PM

state of the pond

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 02:34:20 GMT, wrote:

well I "winterized" the pond a couple weeks ago, then finally covered it over and
dropped in the 500 watt heater and the temp rose nicely to almost 60 with the warm
spell last week. dropped a bit since then but everyone is happy to see me with food.

now I have to remember to give em some food every 3-4 days. I soooo miss my nice
little back yard and pond in winter. Ingrid

----
I'm hoping tomorrow is the last mowing of the season. Ponds currently are
in the high 40's. No feeding here, and just as well, I need the break of
anything outside once the leaves are all raked up. Wind did a number on us
this week so I'll be doing more vaccing of those, but only around the koi
pond area. First time, in a long time, I'll have all major fall chores done
before T-day. Probably since I took over the yard and put in ponds. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

[email protected] 17-11-2006 05:59 AM

state of the pond

I still want to put up a greenhouse over the whole back yard... well at least the koi
pond so I can go out in winter and sit by my pond and see my koi. sigh. Ingrid

~ janj wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

Derek Broughton 17-11-2006 03:51 PM

state of the pond

wrote:

I still want to put up a greenhouse over the whole back yard... well at
least the koi
pond so I can go out in winter and sit by my pond and see my koi. sigh.

It's not that hard to do. You need a nice supply of 1" rebar, and
greenhouse-poly - it's translucent HDPE, not much different from permalon.
Ours has been up for 3 years now, and survived a category 3 hurricane (it
shifted a little, and I had some trouble opening the doors, but the poly
stands it well).

Go to
http://www.northerngreenhouse.com/contact.htm and order a catalog -
you might not want to buy from them but they have good advice on building
one.

When the poly degrades in 10 years or so, we'll just get some more.
--
derek