Old 25-11-2006, 08:43 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Just returned after a year's absence. What about a Rec.Pond.Mod group

I just can't believe it. I left this group almost a year ago, after
having had all I could stand of the idiots who were destroying the
group.
I came back today thinking maybe the crazies had gotten tired and
left.
No way. Just the opposite. Looks like most of the good rec.
ponders are gone.

So isn't it time to start a new group that is moderated? Surely
someone of good reputation would be willing to moderate the group.
Its a pain, but there obviously is no other choice.
I don't know how moderating works, but surely someone here
should be willing to go through and filter out all the crazies. Maybe
after a few months they would finally give up.

What do other REAL rec ponders think?.

Its so sad to see this once-wonderful group now virtually dead.

PS: All you damned-crazies, please do not respond.

george
Old 25-11-2006, 09:12 PM posted to rec.ponds

I just did a google search on "moderated newsgroups".

I found a good introductory website:

www.swcp.com/~dmckeon/mod-faq.html

He has a LOT of basic info on all aspects of moderated groups, as
well as many links and references.

I quickly scanned it. Yes, moderated groups do have a slower
distribution time. And a single moderator can easily "burn out."
But what looked real good to me was a group that uses a panel of
moderators, along with a form of robo-moderation.
Robo-moderation can filter out obviously trolled/off-topic
messages, and the rest can be distributed to several moderators, who
then can cancel them or send them on to the group. This takes a lot
of work & pressure off just a single human moderator.

Yes, its a pain, but its clear to me that its the ONLY thing
that will save/revive this group.

george

Old 25-11-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.ponds

And if I was a moderator, a message like the one you just sent would
be killed.
There would be NO troll messages allowed, from anyone. Your
message just now contained nothing about ponds. It was just another
attack.

george

On 25 Nov 2006 13:30:40 -0800, "TiburonBlanco"

I just can't believe it. I left this group almost a year ago, after
having had all I could stand of the idiots who were destroying the
group.
I came back today thinking maybe the crazies had gotten tired and
left.
No way. Just the opposite. Looks like most of the good rec.
ponders are gone.

So isn't it time to start a new group that is moderated? Surely
someone of good reputation would be willing to moderate the group.
Its a pain, but there obviously is no other choice.

There are in existence various moderated groups. Many will remember "
The Pond"

And it met its demise after a few weeks. The solution to the problem
is simple. Carol has to listen to what the group wants. She stops
Harrassing people in the ARJW group. They will not Harrass here.

Old 25-11-2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.ponds

You have used this name to post 34 messages since mid-may.
And not one had anything positive to do with ponds. Every one was
an attack on someone.
In a moderated group, __not one__ of your messages would
ever have seen the light of day.

Old 25-11-2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.ponds

wrote in message
I just did a google search on "moderated newsgroups".

I found a good introductory website:

www.swcp.com/~dmckeon/mod-faq.html

Why don't you start a moderated group George? The religious fruitcakes
finished this one off right quick.

Old 25-11-2006, 11:39 PM posted to rec.ponds

I am very willing to work with some others to help start a moderated
newsgroup. My problem is that I am an unknown here, although I have
visited this group for many years, using different names.
To establish a moderated newsgroup, you need a team of trusted
persons who will work together as co-moderators, so that one person
doesn't have to do everything.
I have not solicited these persons, but over the years I have
learned that there are some __very__ trustworthy and dedicated
posters here. To drop some names, I'm thinging of Dr. Solo, janj,
Derek and Phyllis and Jim. (Many other trusted names have left.)
I have no idea if any of these persons would be interested in
working on this, but if they were, I'm sure we could get the group
going. (The co-moderators have to be a __very__ select and trusted
group.)

I'm retired and have lots of time. I've learned a lot about
moderated groups just this afternoon.
For example, to prevent trolls from flooding the moderators
with thousands of bogus posts, a robo-moderator (software program) is
put first. It can delete thousands of bogus posts in a matter of
seconds, unattended. The posts that get through are then passed on to
one of several moderators, who scan them, edit offensive language
where necessary, and then either delete the post or send it on to the
actual newsgroup.

In short, there are a lot of details to be worked out, and a
small group of trusted moderators are needed, __but it can be
done___. And all the trolls and garbage will be shut out, and the
new group can become what the old group used to be.
And if the new group were named rec.ponds.moderated, then it would
appear right next to the current group, making it easy for new readers
to find it. (Plus putting an occassional pointer & FAQ in this group)

I have a lot more info and ideas, but I don't want to make this
too long.

Trusted long-time posters: are you interested? Do you want
to help "save" the subject of this newsgroup?

george (not my real name)

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 16:11:45 -0600, "JohnS" wrote:

.. .

Old 26-11-2006, 05:15 AM posted to rec.ponds

wrote in message
I am very willing to work with some others to help start a moderated
newsgroup. My problem is that I am an unknown here, although I have
visited this group for many years, using different names.
To establish a moderated newsgroup, you need a team of trusted
persons who will work together as co-moderators, so that one person
doesn't have to do everything.

Perhaps we can do something to start a moderated pond group since I'm
disabled and home most of the time.

Excess quoted lines removed.
Old 26-11-2006, 07:11 AM posted to rec.ponds

wrote in message
You have used this name to post 34 messages since mid-may.
And not one had anything positive to do with ponds. Every one was
an attack on someone.

He posted hundreds of troll messages on this group under at least 150
different names in the past few years. He posts people's names and addresses
and threatens to poison their fish. He flooded the group a few times. He's a
psycho from the Jehovah Witness group. Without moderation t his group is
finished.

Old 26-11-2006, 07:41 AM posted to rec.ponds

You have used this name to post 34 messages since mid-may.
And not one had anything positive to do with ponds. Every one was
an attack on someone.
In a moderated group, __not one__ of your messages would
ever have seen the light of day.

george

Hi George,

Actually there is already a moderated group that is doing very well. Kind
of a cross of aquaria & ponds, with aquaria leading the group. A few old
rec.ponders are there. I check in about once a week or so, still not
thrilled with a google group, but such is life. See my sig. ~ jan
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

Old 28-11-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:25:05 -0600, Köi-Lö wrote:

Thank you Jayne. I'm sorry I cannot use a valid e-mail address here as the
trolls have used them too many times for me to ever use one here again. But
if I should contact you you will then have it. It can easily be verified
who I really am since they've posted my personal information hundreds of
times here.

I would appreciate it if you did email me. I would like to discuss this
with you in email.

--
Jayne
Old 29-11-2006, 12:15 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Jayne Kulikauskas" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:25:05 -0600, Köi-Lö wrote:

Thank you Jayne. I'm sorry I cannot use a valid e-mail address here as
the
trolls have used them too many times for me to ever use one here again.
But
if I should contact you you will then have it. It can easily be verified
who I really am since they've posted my personal information hundreds of
times here.

I would appreciate it if you did email me. I would like to discuss this
with you in email.

Watch your inbox. I'll contact you within the hour at your above e-mail
address.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.