Old 05-12-2006, 08:32 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default So how do I kill off a heron thats eating my koi

Would a shotgun or a 22 be better? It has cleane dme out of my 4 to 6
inch goldies already, and is starting on my koi..........how about a
fish baited with a treble hook?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:19 PM posted to rec.ponds

You can't.
It is illegal to kill or harm herons.
You can try netting, motion activated sprinklers,
electric shock pet fencing.
good luck!

Old 05-12-2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.ponds

I am not going though the mess of netting a heron and disrupting my
view of my fish and inconvienince to my pond. I simply asked whats
best shotgun or 22 rifle. I will pick up the best choice at Wal Mart
this week and take care of these predators once and for all.
Laws are meant to be broken. I live in the country anyhow so no one is
g9onna see what I do.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:52 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 15:23:21 -0600, Tristan
wrote:

I am not going though the mess of netting a heron and disrupting my
view of my fish and inconvienince to my pond. I simply asked whats
best shotgun or 22 rifle. I will pick up the best choice at Wal Mart
this week and take care of these predators once and for all.
Laws are meant to be broken. I live in the country anyhow so no one is
g9onna see what I do.

A firearm is such a poor choice, especially for you. The mere fact that
you have to ask which is better shows you don't know much about either.
Guns have a bad enough rep as it is, you don't have to contribute.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Illiterate? Write for FREE help
Old 05-12-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.ponds

NOw you let me be the judge on that since its my fish, my gun and my
money involved. Typical for a rec.ponder is to get off on a totally
different tangent than originally asked, and evade the question that
was posted.

Now just to set the record straight, doyou really think this post
would have ever gotten into a moderated group? I doubt it would as
there is too many one sided views, even though its still a legitimate
question at hand. It just does not fit everyones way of looking at
it, nnow doe sit? You all failed the test. plain and simple and its
just a sign of whats to come when and if this ever gets to a miderated
forum. Its gonna be as one sided as it can possibly be. All questions
a re viable questions and its not for mods to determine if it is or
not. Who is to say its not legal to shot a heron where I live? Yet ya
all are so quick to voive an opinion.

So Galen you too fail for mod status but I am sure you will fit in
with the rest of these pompous righteous *******s that just chomp at
the bit to be moderators.

And I do not have any heron problems either......at least none that I
need to come to such a lame assed bunch of weak minded clowns to get
ideas from. And you better hceck as it is perfectly legal to shoot
herons as it depends on if you have a permit and what reason it was
issued for. So you never know, I may just be legal to shoot the
freaking things......permits are not as hard to get as one may think
they are.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:59 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 16:10:49 -0600, Tristan
wrote:

[...]

To set the record straight, as you put it, your original post, Kathy's
follow up, your follow up to that follow up, my follow up... you get the
picture, they all would be "allowed" if I were the moderator.

So Galen you too fail for mod status but I am sure you will fit in
with the rest of these pompous righteous *******s that just chomp at
the bit to be moderators.

And I do not have any heron problems either......at least none that I
need to come to such a lame assed bunch of weak minded clowns to get
ideas from. And you better hceck as it is perfectly legal to shoot
herons as it depends on if you have a permit and what reason it was
issued for. So you never know, I may just be legal to shoot the
freaking things......permits are not as hard to get as one may think
they are.

Here in Florida you'll get very old waiting for some kind of permit to kill
heron, and I'm pretty sure that's the case just about everywhere. I
seriously doubt you'd have any luck in declaring them a "nuisance," no
matter how many fish you lose. I own several guns, and have licenses to
kill just about everything you can here in Florida. I live out in the
country too, on enough acreage that I can pretty much do what I want, so I
know where you're coming from that way. But I didn't address the
legalities of it then, and even legalities aside I think it is a really
poor idea. Let's look at why. First of all, you're going to have to be a
pretty good shot to use a .22. Not an expert by any means, but still
pretty good. But you don't know that, so obviously, you must not be a very
good shot, so a shotgun is the thing for you. But starting one off
shooting with a shotgun isn't the best idea, and it isn't the ideal gun for
a "first gun," so... I think even you can see the problems in giving any
kind of advice, plus you don't even hint at range or stuff, so even a guess
at a choke is pretty much just a guess. The best advice I could come up
with is that you not use any type of firearm, they aren't toys, even if you
can buy them at Wal Mart.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:06 AM posted to rec.ponds

Your not paying attention Galen. I own and have quite a few firearms
already. I have no need to buy a weapaon at Wally World. I can nail a
ground hog in the eye at 100 yards without a problem with a 22 and a
heron is certianly not a hard target. They are however best shot with
a 22 cal anyhow as they are more apt to get hit, and then fly away and
off the property to die elsewhere, and save the problem of having to
SSS the dam thing. You do know what SSS is I presume. Shoot, shovel
and shutup. So to me a 22 cal preferably a low velocity target round
not a CCI mini mag or high velocity hollow point is whats best so it
wounds the bird, but enables it to get gone and away from the area.
Odds are it will be dead within 24 hours and if it suffers so what,
its pay back for my fish being speared and not killed....As to your
claim your still assuming what I can get or do without any validity on
your part in even knowing who or where I am and why I can probably or
may already have a permit to harvest herons and other birds of prey as
such.....I I would stil put moneyon this post ever making it into any
group moderated by any of the proposed moderators. I just love stupid
folks who spend big bucks just to feed the predators, and think a net
is gong to solve it, or a water spraying scarecrow....It takes lead.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:14 AM posted to rec.ponds

I thi k you would fit right in as a moderator there Nick, disability
and all. On 05 Dec 2006 23:20:08 GMT, wrote:

Tristan wrote:
[ rant snipped]

PLONK!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 12:16 AM posted to rec.ponds

I'll see your plonk and rasie you two......
PLONK....PLONK

Your turn!

On 05 Dec 2006 23:20:08 GMT, wrote:

Tristan wrote:
[ rant snipped]

PLONK!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 12:20 AM posted to rec.ponds

Tristan wrote:
[ rant snipped]

PLONK!!!

~Semper Fi~

Old 06-12-2006, 12:46 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:06:34 -0600, Tristan
wrote:

Your not paying attention Galen. I own and have quite a few firearms
already. I have no need to buy a weapaon at Wally World. I can nail a
ground hog in the eye at 100 yards without a problem with a 22 and a
heron is certianly not a hard target. They are however best shot with
a 22 cal anyhow as they are more apt to get hit, and then fly away and
off the property to die elsewhere, and save the problem of having to
SSS the dam thing. You do know what SSS is I presume. Shoot, shovel
and shutup. So to me a 22 cal preferably a low velocity target round
not a CCI mini mag or high velocity hollow point is whats best so it
wounds the bird, but enables it to get gone and away from the area.

But that's not at all what you said, you claimed to not know which was
better, a .22 or a shotgun. I concluded that if you didn't even know that,
you had no business being around firearms.

Odds are it will be dead within 24 hours and if it suffers so what,
its pay back for my fish being speared and not killed....

You and I have vastly different values, I see.

As to your
claim your still assuming what I can get or do without any validity on
your part in even knowing who or where I am and why I can probably or
may already have a permit to harvest herons and other birds of prey as
such.....

Knock yourself out then, you obviously don't need any advice, certainly not
on this subject.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:47 AM posted to rec.ponds

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
Tristan wrote:
[ . . . ]

Galen, have you looked at to whom you're responding? Why bother? Kf him!

~Semper Fi~
Old 06-12-2006, 01:31 AM posted to rec.ponds

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
On 05 Dec 2006 23:47:06 GMT, wrote:
Galen Hekhuis wrote:
Tristan wrote:
[ . . . ]

Galen, have you looked at to whom you're responding? Why bother? Kf him!

I tried killfiles and various things for some ten years, and wound up
fussing, tuning, and monitoring them so much I decided that for me they
were much more trouble than they were worth. [ . . . ]

I'll answer anything I have knowledge of, and that isn't a whole lot of
things so I have to jump at every chance I get. I have some hot buttons
too, and guns is one of them.[]

Well. you may no longer wish to have a civil discourse with me, as I am a
staunch defender of the 2nd Amendment. I bought my first gun at age 12,
have been shooting since I was 7 and own a shotgun, a couple of pistols and
several rifles, with enough ammo for each to last beyond my death (I'm 71).
One of the main differences between me and the one to whom you responded is
that I am a responsible gun owner, I practice regularly and I respect and
obey the law. And I don't think I'm God!

I had a heron problem about 10 years ago. The buzzard got 2 of my koi and a
goldfish! I put up bird net and have had no problem since.

~Semper Fi~
Old 06-12-2006, 01:33 AM posted to rec.ponds

Tristan wrote:
Would a shotgun or a 22 be better? It has cleane dme out of my 4 to 6
inch goldies already, and is starting on my koi..........how about a
fish baited with a treble hook?

The only point that I see of this post is to try and see what may or
might not get past any moderators on a moderated rec.ponds...not a
legitimate question but a bit of a game.....

I believe you have your answer...although I haven't done this in the
right order but I'm tired....the question is valid and on-topic.....so
why wouldn't it get posted even though the sentiments expressed are
designed to be imflammatory ......if it went further down the line then
maybe it would get banned....but I'm sure that you are not even slightly
serious in the solutions you are proposing....you are playing a game to
see what would happen....and that is fine.....you got answers on the
unmoderated group....most valid as well....I'm sorry, but I don't see
how moderation should impact this post....apart from thinking (sorry)
that the post was deliberately made to inflame people.....which afterall
is your intention albeit just to test how the moderators would react...

Gill

PS I have no idea whatsoever how this would get through any moderation
process but once the RFD gets published, and we do need to wait for this
rather than speculate, we can then argue about the moderation
policy...rather than trying to preempt this....