Old 06-12-2006, 11:16 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Sadly supporting moderation

wrote in message
"Gail Futoran" wrote:

[snip]

In another moderated NG, soc.religion.islam, I have had posts returned. In
the first instance, it was because I used my above e-mail addy instead of
me true one. In that instance, two of the moderators went out of their way
to return my post, with a clear explanation of why. When I corrected my
e-mail addy, my message was posted as written. In the second instance, my
post was returned because it contained an excessive amount of quoted text
compared to new text. Again, after judicious snipping on my part, my
message was posted as written.

Several years ago I added a modest spam block to my email addy. It never
occurred to me that would result in my posts to a moderated newsgroup being
blocked. Thanks for your example. It helps me better understand the
process of moderation.

I appreciate the efforts of moderators, who all seem to be volunteers, in
the other moderated groups where I post, and anticipate that the same will
be the case with rec,ponds,moderated.

I sincerely hope so.

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
!
~Semper Fi~

Gail
rec.ponder since April 2003

Old 07-12-2006, 08:18 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Tristan" wrote in message

And that crieteria is in whos opinion, Different areas, states
countries all have different views that are wholey legal in their way
and looked at as normal.

I will often cringe when rec.ponders recommend adding certain types of
plants to a pond when I know it is illegal to have those plants in the state
I live in. If I know the person asking the question lives in the same state
I live in, I might post the link a state-run website about banned aquatic
plants as a way of giving someone information, their choice what to do about
it.

Presumably, that is something we have to consider about moderation policies
when the RFD is posted to news.groups.proposals.

How about a koi grill out. Were koi recipies can be exchanged., God
forbide kill a pet koi and eat it.,,.,.hell no that would be stopped
inits tracks, yet there is a perfeclty acceptable group and a forum as
well that have no problems with killing and eating a koi nor do they
have a proboem with pitching a cull on the ground and sticking it in
the hole by a fruit tree either.....

In parts of the world it is perfectly acceptable to eat cat and dog. In
most of the USA it is not acceptable. What should be done about such posts
as you describe above I have no idea. I would assume reasonable people
would be able to discuss such matters reasonably and come to a reasonable
solution, but then I've always been a bit of an optimist.

No the majority here for the most part have a very very bnarrow minded
view of what is reality in ponding and koi world. And that alone is
going to keep this group locked down to only the moderators views ot a
view of what is fine for one is also needs to be viewed as well.

Personal attack. Adds nothing to the discussion at hand.

Someone ask me how grilled sanke tastes..with bell peppers adnd onions
and seasoning. Its great, nice big slabs of meat griled to a flakey
consistency, actually makes grilled snapper or grouper kind of mundane
at most since koi are quick to grow and great eating and cheap.

I have no idea what a "sanke" is. Some sort of exotic meat or vegetable?

Gail
rec.ponder since April 2003

Old 07-12-2006, 08:56 PM posted to rec.ponds

Ask Jan to explain what a Sanke is........I am sure she would be
happy to expain that being she is a koi guru...I would tell you to
ask koi lo but she would probaly lie to you.
Just because a plant is on the states hit list does not make it
illegal in all states even if on a so called list to have in your
personal possession., Were not talking pot plants were talking
invasive plants. Parrots feather and hyacinths are not allowed to be
sold and if you listen to some folks its against the law to have them,
since they construe ban to be not able to have, False entirely.
Virtually most all invasive plants listed exist in this and surounding
states however not all of thes estates consider them invasive. I can
literally walk 900 yards down to my stream and get all the parrots
feather and hyacinth I care to harvest andput it in my "private" ponds
if I so desire. Or I can go visit a friend in South Carolina and bring
home a truck load of these so called "illegal plants" and place them
in my pond and the state is not gonna do a darn thing about it.
However just don;t let me get caught selling the things to residents
of this state as thats illegal, not the act of having them. However I
can legally sell them to residents that do not live in this
state.......Its also against the law here to own a chicken eating hog,
but its done all the time......yet how a law is interpreted and by
who.

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 20:18:40 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

.. .

Old 07-12-2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.ponds

And I thought sanke was a typo for snake....learn something new every
day - lol

BTW what is a sanke....I could google but it is getting late

Gill
Old 07-12-2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.ponds

Sanke is a coloration of a koi. White body with red and black
markings......then again it could be a showa-sanke..which is a black
koi with red and white patterns.......ya gotta learn them japanese
names for colors if ya wanna be a koi keeper ;-)

Old 07-12-2006, 09:34 PM posted to rec.ponds

Actually its usually called go-sanke. They make the best table fare
due to the white skin on them, is more appealing to folks. :-)
Don't knock grilled koi until you try it. Its only a fancy carp.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.ponds

I have always wanted to do this.PLONK not that it means
anyhting as it did not do anyhting for me. What am I missing with this
PLONK thing........is it supposed to make me feel good or superior
or what? Clue me in so I know what I am mmissing. I figured Koi-Lo
would be a good one to try the PLONK on and even with her reputation
it did not move me much.....PLONK,
PLONK,PLONK,PLONK,PLONK,PLONK,PLONK,

Must not be doing something right I just do not feel any different.
sniff sniff sniff!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.ponds

==================
http://www.lochnesswatergardens.com/sanke.htm a very pretty colorful koi.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.ponds

Well all I can say is when I get into the intracies of keeping Koi I
hope you guys are around to put me right.....and help out...even if it
is on a moderated group which I guess would allow me to sort the wheat
from the chaff....without the hassle of sorting it manually in my head...

Gill

Old 07-12-2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.ponds

All you have to do is keep a cheat sheet in your pocket or tacked on
the ponds edge so you can refer to it. Then when someone says oh, look
at the fish that looks like a Dalmation dog.........you can
nonchalantly meander over to your note and give it a quick glance and
say, oh, you like that bekko koi to.....yes but it has a hint of a
bit of hi so its not really a good example as that one over there,
without the hi, is a good example of a bekko koi. (bekko is a koi
that is colored like a dalmation dog and "HI" is not from the fish
smoking dope, it too is a coloration of orange.
Koi that are supposed to only have two colors are known as IIRC
Utsuri koi. A bekko is a utsuri koi, a go-sanke is not. I think I have
the terms and colors right, but don't place any bets with a real koi
keeper on it, you may loose. ;-)

Old 08-12-2006, 12:51 AM posted to rec.ponds

Gail Futoran wrote:

Your example above triggered a thought, so I'm focussing on just that
paragraph. The moderation guidelines should be written so that any
content that isn't obviously an immediate threat to health or life of
fish, wildlife, or ponders (!) should be allowed through to post, but then
others
would have to post a rebuttal. In that case, also, a moderator might post
useful links.

I disagree. I don't believe bad advice should be moderated at all - just
rebutted. I'm not into censorship, despite supporting a moderated group,
and while I've been ponding for more than a decade, and have some
techniques I think are winners, I know that I'm not an expert - and then
there are the things like shooting Herons: even when we know it's illegal,
we can hardly ban posts for illegal advice without treading on very thin
ice unless we're practicing lawyers (in the appropriate locale).
--
derek
Old 08-12-2006, 05:07 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
news
Anyone reading your post will understand that your assertion does NOT
represent the position of any of the responsible rec.ponders who have been
involved in this discussion.

======================
Just getting rid of the constant boring off-topic personal attack messages
alone would get this a working group once again. So no matter what happens
in the end, *I am* for a moderated rec.ponds.

Gill please take notice. *I AM* for a moderated rec.ponds no matter that
anyone else may claim I want. If you think "this message" was written by a
troll, I will gladly e-mail you a copy using my ISP provided e-mail account.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:50 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 20:51:32 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:

[...]
I disagree. I don't believe bad advice should be moderated at all - just
rebutted. I'm not into censorship, despite supporting a moderated group,
and while I've been ponding for more than a decade, and have some
techniques I think are winners, I know that I'm not an expert - and then
there are the things like shooting Herons: even when we know it's illegal,
we can hardly ban posts for illegal advice without treading on very thin
ice unless we're practicing lawyers (in the appropriate locale).

I know of at least one precedent for a charter which disallowed posts for
advocating illegal acts. So it may be reasonable to include something like
this if most users wanted it. Another option is accepting the messages and
posting them with an appended warning, such as "Warning: this post contains
advice that may be illegal in your area." (STUMP moderation software
supports this.) Or, as you say, you can allow the post as is and hope that
someone posts a rebuttal.

I suggest getting as much input on this question as you can from potential
group users during the RFD. You can do this during the discussion or it is
possible to set up a poll for this.

--
Jayne
Old 08-12-2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.ponds

I have no idea what a "sanke" is. Some sort of exotic meat or vegetable?

Gail
rec.ponder since April 2003

Tri-Colored (red,black,white) Koi. ~ jan :-)