Old 14-12-2006, 11:46 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Phyllis and Jim hope all goes well with the RFD

Phyllis and I are glad the RFD has now been published. We are sad that
rec.ponds has been so mired in conflict and hope that a moderated group
will be able to be set up.

We both loved and benefitted from rec.ponds before the conflict. We
built our pond around an old septic tank and learned how to lay cement
and how to run filter pipes. The folks on rec.ponds helped along the
way. They also helped us with info about plants, fish,
filters...everything. Over time, we came to love the community.

Then came the conflict! We stayed and posted, ignoring angry or
taunting messages. That lastd for several years, yet the volume of
off-topic and hostile messages grew so large and the crossposting and
name changes so frequent that it was impossible realistically for us to
filter out the junk. Finally, we looked for another pond forum, hoping
to be able to return to the community that had been rec.ponds. Over
the years we had posted around a thousand times on rec.ponds. It was
sad to walk away!

When 'george' announced his goal of a moderated rec.ponds, we were both
sad and excited. We volunteered and began working with the group that
has put the RFD together. The group has worked well together, even
with differing ideas about how to handle various things. Phyllis and I
both like the new RFD.

Two points of importance to us are that posts be evaluated by content
and that posters demonstrate respect for one another. We do not favor
banning anyone, although we can see situations in which persons who
repeatedly and egregiously violate posting policies, especially with
respect to attacking other posters, could be suspended for a period.
We do favor taking action to maintain respect between posters.
Hostility begets hostility. We would like to see posts evaluated by
content and by civility.

Phyllis has been a school administrator for 20 years. I have been a
professor of family therapy and a minister for 34 years. Our pond has
been a great place to relax and to grade papers.

It is our hope that the warm supportive community will reassemble and
that the blooming ponds of new pond season will be matched by a
blooming pond group. RPM sounds pretty good to us!

Phyllis and Jim

Old 15-12-2006, 12:00 AM posted to rec.ponds

I also am thrilled to see this step and have offered to
help.

I have tried a couple of other forums online, and while they
are very interesting places and full of information, they do
seem to be fairly koi oriented.

My pond is pretty humble. I love the interplay of plants,
fish, frogs, turtles, insects and the birds that stop by.Even
seeing a heron or kingfisher is a thrill (at first).

Jan and I think we've been involved with rec.ponds from the
mid-90s. I've made good friends here and just sent off Christmas
cards this week to ponders I've met here. Many of the folks I've
met on other forums started here on rec.ponds. Unfortunately they
left due to the negative turn. We have a big community out there of
former rec.ponders. I'd like to see them come back.

kathy :-)

Old 15-12-2006, 12:23 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Jim and Phyllis" wrote in message
oups.com...
It is our hope that the warm supportive community will reassemble and
that the blooming ponds of new pond season will be matched by a
blooming pond group. RPM sounds pretty good to us!

================
It will. It's a shame this wasn't done 2 years ago. I think everyone
agrees with you and looks forward to peaceful posting again.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 19-12-2006, 08:59 AM posted to rec.ponds

to lighten everyones moderating burden the best way is to sign new people up in
moderated mode and if they post normally, respectfully on topic or off topic, then
they are put on normal pass thru, unmoderated mode.
you can always move somebody to moderated mode if they suddenly get abusive and
somebody complains.
of course, the software for this needs to be able to do this. not sure if it does or
not. Ingrid

"Jim and Phyllis" wrote:
Two points of importance to us are that posts be evaluated by content
and that posters demonstrate respect for one another. We do not favor
banning anyone,

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com