Old 25-12-2006, 11:19 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Blocking senders

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 14:47:04 -0400, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Now _that_ part I can cope with. My youngest dog (a rescue with some bad
habits) killed my oldest last week. We thought we were beyond that as
they'd been fine together for almost two years, but obviously not. We
still love the young one. We should have just done what cat-lovers who
keep koi have to do - keep them apart.

Kill your oldest what? What kind of dog is the youngest? ~ jan
Old 26-12-2006, 12:46 AM posted to rec.ponds

wrote:

Now _that_ part I can cope with. My youngest dog (a rescue with some bad
habits) killed my oldest last week. We thought we were beyond that as
they'd been fine together for almost two years, but obviously not. We
still love the young one. We should have just done what cat-lovers who
keep koi have to do - keep them apart.

Kill your oldest what? What kind of dog is the youngest? ~ jan

The old girl was a miniature schnauzer - 13 1/2 and in decline. Not quite
what I'd call old age, but showing her years. The young one is a German
Shorthaired Pointer - not supposed to be aggressive at all.
--
derek
Old 26-12-2006, 04:11 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:53:55 -0600, Zëbulon
wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

Let me make it perfectly clear, we will allow anyone to post no
matter
how many cute kittens someone threatens to kill. There are NO plans to
moderate RPM on anything other than content. Of course, if someone
threatens cute bunnies we may have to rethink that...

LOL. I'm afraid I don't understand cat lovers :-)

Adopt two little kittens and you'll quickly understand. ;-)

And when those cute little kittens grow up to be cats and snack on some of
your prized fish try to understand that they are just small carnivores
doing what comes naturally to them, they mean no harm. I have been owned
by several cats and I get along with cats quite well. I'm just a tad more
realistic about them than some.

=======================
We had several cats over the years and I never saw them try and fish in the
ponds. They showed little to no interest in the ponds at or the Aquariums I
have in my home. None would get a paw wet if they didn't have to. One was
a great moler and kept the moles to a minimum. Another would bring home
dead mice and other small critters..... and then we netted the ponds so it
was a moot point.

Oddly enough, they'd go after small birds but ignored herons and the
neighbor's chickens.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 26-12-2006, 04:33 AM posted to rec.ponds

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

Let me make it perfectly clear, we will allow anyone to post no
matter
how many cute kittens someone threatens to kill. There are NO plans to
moderate RPM on anything other than content. Of course, if someone
threatens cute bunnies we may have to rethink that...

LOL. I'm afraid I don't understand cat lovers :-)

Adopt two little kittens and you'll quickly understand. ;-)

We do _not_ want to go there. I have a mouse problem. We solved it once
before with a cat. I can't see putting myself through that again. I'll
just keep emptying the traps...
--
derek

=================================
As much as I like cats and truly enjoy watching and playing with kittens,
we're not replacing our cats now that they're all gone. One neighbor has 3
large male cats that help keep the squirrels, rabbits and moles under
control. I use poison baits in the out buildings now. Maybe someday we'll
get another cat.........

BTW, I haven't seen them trying to fish in the one un-netted pond.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 26-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Registered User

And there was me thinking that I'd find useful information on a site such as this.

What I do find is a bunch of good advice completely ruined by childish self-important morons who see fit to bicker and argue in a forum about ponds. PONDS!!!!???? I'm writing that, but I can't actually believe that something as benevolent as ponds can attract internet clowns.

It you've ever flamed or, posted inflammatory or derisory comment about another user in a pond forum you need to look long and hard at your life. Is this really how you get your kicks? Has your life become that tragic?

Me, well I'm off to find the information I'm after elsewhere. Have fun.

Dan

Old 27-12-2006, 03:50 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 20:14:06 +0000, redlinedan
wrote:

And there was me thinking that I'd find useful information on a site
such as this.

What I do find is a bunch of good advice completely ruined by childish
self-important morons who see fit to bicker and argue in a forum about
ponds. PONDS!!!!???? I'm writing that, but I can't actually believe
that something as benevolent as ponds can attract internet clowns.

It you've ever flamed or, posted inflammatory or derisory comment about
another user in a pond forum you need to look long and hard at your
life. Is this really how you get your kicks? Has your life become that
tragic?

Me, well I'm off to find the information I'm after elsewhere. Have fun.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I hope that you're still here to see my reply.
I certainly understand your frustration. It has also happened to
many other persons who visited this newsgroup for their first time
during the past 2 years.

I sincerely hope that you came back to see this post.
_Please_ look for the post entitled:

Attn: All Persons Looking for Pond Information

I posted it on 12-26-06 at 9:38am EST in the U.S.
Hopefully, it will explain why this group looks the way it does.

Please post your questions here, for now. There are some
long-time rec.ponders who should be able to heelp you. If any trolls
respond, please shrug them off.

I hope that you find the message I posted on the 26th. We could
definitely use your support to help us establish a decent pond
newsgroup once again.

If you read this, but can't find the message, please reply
to this message and let me know. Or, you can email me.
I plan to repost that 26th message every 3-4 days, until the
new group is established and running.

Again, I'm sorry for your bad experience here.

Please give us a chance to welcome and help you.

Ron Schompert

Old 27-12-2006, 03:54 PM posted to rec.ponds

Sorry Ron...Its only been your so called moderators thats been posting
here and a well known asshole named Carol aka Rebulon and about all
they can feel free to find and do is talk about who and why they will
ban someone or practice their poonk ability.....You would really think
those ****wads would be seeding the group instead of diligently
talking about how and who to ban for what..dogs killings, cat and
kitten killings etc etc etc.....bunch of freaking losers you got there
Ron, rec.ponds.moderated is gona be a big hit,,,,I am sure....and y
can dam sure tell that none of those that replied to my one post knows
a dam thing about a natrual or large pond......and thats a
given......and I for one am not gonna be thier teacher.....

-------
Old 27-12-2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default rec.ponds discussions during December (was Blocking senders)

"Tristan" wrote in message
Sorry Ron...Its only been your so called moderators thats been posting
here and a well known asshole named Carol aka Rebulon and about all
they can feel free to find and do is talk about who and why they will
ban someone or practice their poonk ability.....You would really think
those ****wads would be seeding the group instead of diligently
talking about how and who to ban for what..dogs killings, cat and
kitten killings etc etc etc.....bunch of freaking losers you got there
Ron, rec.ponds.moderated is gona be a big hit,,,,I am sure....and y
can dam sure tell that none of those that replied to my one post knows
a dam thing about a natrual or large pond......and thats a
given......and I for one am not gonna be thier teacher.....

There have been several on-topic discussions in
recent weeks, with participation by some of the
proposed rec.ponds.moderated moderators.
This includes several recent posts by Tristan
himself, with friendly responses by several of
the RPM moderators. For example, see the
threads:

(1) "The new 3.5+ acre pond is now full" first
posted by Tristan, Dec. 23, 2006, with friendly
moderators - among others posting in that thread.

(2) "Thanks for inviting me to join your
group", first posted by Cathy Dec. 13,
2006 about irises and daylilies, with an
initial friendly and appropriate response
from Tristan.

(3) "Re; My earlier post 'Koi heads off'"
by garyjohn_99 from the UK regarding a
neighbor's pond fish attacked by mink,
posted Nov. 29 with discussion continuing
into December.

I haven't done (nor will I personally do) a
formal traffic analysis, but my sense of the
discussion in the past month is that there has
been the usual (small) percentage of on-topic
posts that has been the case in the past two
years, especially considering the Holiday season
when people are busy with family and friends
and vacations, and that winter is usually a time
when rec.ponds is least active anyway.

Many of the posts to rec.ponds during this
December have concerned the proposed
rec.ponds.moderated, which may be
off-topic in some strict sense of the word,
but I don't know where else it would have
been most appropriate to discuss the creation
of a new ponding newsgroup, especially
during the buildup to the RFD.

Gail

Old 27-12-2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Tristan" wrote in message
Sorry Ron...Its only been your so called moderators thats been posting
here and a well known asshole named Carol aka Rebulon and about all
they can feel free to find and do is talk about who and why they will
ban someone or practice their poonk ability.....You would really think
those ****wads would be seeding the group instead of diligently
talking about how and who to ban for what..dogs killings, cat and
kitten killings etc etc etc.....bunch of freaking losers you got there
Ron, rec.ponds.moderated is gona be a big hit,,,,I am sure....and y
can dam sure tell that none of those that replied to my one post knows
a dam thing about a natrual or large pond......and thats a
given......and I for one am not gonna be thier teacher.....

Many if not most people who read and post to
rec.ponds do so in order to learn from the
experiences of others. That is not untypical of
many rec. hierarchy groups. I do not understand
why you would post your experiences but then
not want anyone to learn from them. Why
bother posting?

Gail

Old 27-12-2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.ponds

Because it ****es you off bitch! And further tightens old nicks
panties in a tighter wad!

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:32:59 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

m...

Old 27-12-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 19:46:11 -0400, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Kill your oldest what? What kind of dog is the youngest? ~ jan

The old girl was a miniature schnauzer - 13 1/2 and in decline. Not quite
what I'd call old age, but showing her years. The young one is a German
Shorthaired Pointer - not supposed to be aggressive at all.

Okay, got it. Oldest ....dog.... 13 1/2 isn't too terribly old for a mini.
Our mini poodle mix made it to 16+, and probably could have lasted longer
health wise, but her dementia, almost totally blind & deaf, and arthritic
she was a danger to herself and us. Black dog, dark carpet, dark room and
she always laid in the path. So we had to make the decision. :-(

After going thru various pets while the kids were growing up, we're down to
just fish, easy fish. Easier to self doctor, easier to put down and easier
to replace (self generating even).... Unfortunately they're lousy for
cuddling. ~ jan
Old 27-12-2006, 08:00 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:11:55 GMT, ~ janj wrote:

snip

Okay, got it

snip

Starting to take on Carols style and punctuation huh Jan? Is that so
she can fill in for you whenthe need arises as a moderator? hahahahaha

-------
Old 28-12-2006, 03:17 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Gail Futoran" wrote:
"Tristan" wrote in message
[ . . . ]
There have been several on-topic discussions in
recent weeks, with participation by some of the
proposed rec.ponds.moderated moderators.

[ . . . ]
Many of the posts to rec.ponds during this
December have concerned the proposed
rec.ponds.moderated, which may be
off-topic in some strict sense of the word,
but I don't know where else it would have
been most appropriate to discuss the creation
of a new ponding newsgroup, especially
during the buildup to the RFD.

Gail, I've been very pleased to see the lively discussion on the creation
of r.f.d and the opportunity to add some posters to my killfile. Thanks and
Happy New Year to all of you proposed moderators, our Mentor and all decent
posters.

~Semper Fi~