Old 28-12-2006, 03:40 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default An example of a poster's "advertisement"

"poster" poster wrote:
I have a 99-year old book "Tthe Chess Player's Compendium" by William
Cook concentrating on openings given to me some years ago by my
great-aunt.

You can see how much has changed in the interval - various openings
such as the Sicilian are dismissed in a few pages under a heading
"Semi-Irregular Openings".

It shows the first 20 moves of various lines of each opening with a
verdict of plus for white plus for black or best lines for both to each
line.

I'm not really seeking a lot of money for it - my fee would rather be
reading what a modern opening guru thought of what was said back then
and how the picture has shifted.

Please reply if you're interested in seeing it

posters name

I would not consider this "advertising" in the true sense of the word, and
consider it an acceptable post. I 'd be interested in the opinions of
others.

~Semper Fi~
Old 28-12-2006, 04:30 AM posted to rec.ponds

On 28 Dec 2006 02:40:38 GMT, wrote:

"poster" poster wrote:
[...]

I'd probably return it. If it was someone's first post I'd definitely
return it, and if it was someone who regularly posted to rec.ponds I'd
still return it, and wonder what possessed them to try to post about chess
in a pond group. Now if it was a 99 year old book about ponds, I'd
probably agree with you and pass it.

--
Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA

Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.
Old 28-12-2006, 08:40 AM posted to rec.ponds

If it were a pond book and a regular poster, I would think it unusual
and pass it. If it were a first post, I am not sure. Perhaps take it
up with the other moderators. My concern would be that it is a whole
post advertising. If a first post were of this sort and were followed
by a second advertising post, I would send the second back and assume
that the poster is advertising by hiding his wares in 'personal'
correspondence. Covert ads would not be appropriate in a pond
discussion group.

Jim

Old 28-12-2006, 09:30 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:
If it were a pond book and a regular poster, I would think it unusual
and pass it. If it were a first post, I am not sure. Perhaps take it
up with the other moderators. My concern would be that it is a whole
post advertising. If a first post were of this sort and were followed
by a second advertising post, I would send the second back and assume
that the poster is advertising by hiding his wares in 'personal'
correspondence. Covert ads would not be appropriate in a pond
discussion group.

Sounds reasonable to me. Thanks.

~Semper Fi~
Old 28-12-2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:
If it were a pond book and a regular poster, I would think it unusual
and pass it. If it were a first post, I am not sure. Perhaps take it
up with the other moderators. My concern would be that it is a whole
post advertising. If a first post were of this sort and were followed
by a second advertising post, I would send the second back and assume
that the poster is advertising by hiding his wares in 'personal'
correspondence. Covert ads would not be appropriate in a pond
discussion group.

That my attitude.

Nick, out of curiosity, was the ad run in a moderated chess news forum? If
so, was it passed or denied? ~ jan
Old 29-12-2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.ponds

~ janj wrote:
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:
If it were a pond book and a regular poster, I would think it unusual
and pass it. If it were a first post, I am not sure. Perhaps take it
up with the other moderators. My concern would be that it is a whole
post advertising. If a first post were of this sort and were followed
by a second advertising post, I would send the second back and assume
that the poster is advertising by hiding his wares in 'personal'
correspondence. Covert ads would not be appropriate in a pond
discussion group.

That my attitude.

Nick, out of curiosity, was the ad run in a moderated chess news forum?
If so, was it passed or denied? ~ jan

Unmoderated. Either rec.games.analysis and/or rec.games.misc

~Semper Fi~
Old 29-12-2006, 03:44 AM posted to rec.ponds

~ janj wrote:
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:
If it were a pond book and a regular poster, I would think it unusual
and pass it. If it were a first post, I am not sure. Perhaps take it
up with the other moderators. My concern would be that it is a whole
post advertising. If a first post were of this sort and were followed
by a second advertising post, I would send the second back and assume
that the poster is advertising by hiding his wares in 'personal'
correspondence. Covert ads would not be appropriate in a pond
discussion group.

That my attitude.

Nick, out of curiosity, was the ad run in a moderated chess news forum?
If so, was it passed or denied? ~ jan

Unmoderated. Either rec.games.chess.analysis and/or rec.games.chess.misc

~Semper Fi~