Old 17-04-2003, 01:32 AM

Default koi breeding

Hi. I am new to this group. I have a question that I hope you all can
answer. We have about 10 large Koi and they are 4 years old this summer.
When can we exspect them to breed and have their babies? We just got our
pond clear enough to see and there are many baby fish in there about 1 inch
long but we also have about 20 gold fish. So, when can we exspect our koi
to start their "families"?? Any hints will help. We were surprised to see
the inch long babies today because we are just about 3 weeks into feeding
the fish and these are already 1-1 1/2 inches long. Do the gold fish have
babies with the ice on the water? We live in zone 5 (Southern New Jersey)
Margie
Old 17-04-2003, 02:32 AM
RichToyBox

Margie,

I find that my koi like a full moon, usually May, and June. The babies you
are seeing are probably last years gold fish. The spawn will not be
unnoticed. The top of the pond will be covered with white foam, milt. The
plants will be trashed. And if you are out pond side before 8:00 AM you
will see the thrashing.
--
RichToyBox

Old 17-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Bob

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:18:55 -0400, wrote:

This is our second year with our pond, and our Koi are about 12 - 14
inches (when we bought them in April of last year they were 3 to 5
inches) long, and we have already had two spawning this spring....we
live in Gulf Shores, Al which I suspect makes the fish mature faster
as we only have a couple months when the water temperature is below 50
degrees. We only have Koi in our pond and have counted over a dozen
young'uns so far. They range in sizes from 1 1/2 inches to about 1/2
inch. We only noticed the milt (white foam on the water) only the
first time but think the second spawning must have also been
successful because we definitely have two different size fish. We're
new to this and are only passing on our observations. We were
surprised that they spawned so soon....we thought it would take a few
years.
Bob and Susie

Hi. I am new to this group. I have a question that I hope you all can
answer. We have about 10 large Koi and they are 4 years old this summer.
When can we exspect them to breed and have their babies? We just got our
pond clear enough to see and there are many baby fish in there about 1 inch
long but we also have about 20 gold fish. So, when can we exspect our koi
to start their "families"?? Any hints will help. We were surprised to see
the inch long babies today because we are just about 3 weeks into feeding
the fish and these are already 1-1 1/2 inches long. Do the gold fish have
babies with the ice on the water? We live in zone 5 (Southern New Jersey)
Margie

You may see our pond at:

www.gulftel.com/seadogs
Old 17-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Jerrispond

We have about 10 large Koi and they are 4 years old this summer.When can we
exspect them to breed and have their babies? We just got ourpond clear enough
to see and there are many baby fish in there about 1 inchlong but we also have
about 20 goldfish. So, when can we exspect our koito start their "families"??
Any hints will help. We were surprised to seethe inch long babies today
because we are just about 3 weeks into feeding
the fish and these are already 1-1
1/2 inches long. Do the gold fish have
babies with the ice on the water? We live in zone 5

What color are
the babies...baby koi would already have the koi colors.....Koi breed in about
3 years....You must have a very large pond to support 10 large koi and 20
goldfish. The babies were probably born last fall and wintered over. Jerri

Old 17-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

Yeh, mine were only 2 years old when they spawned the first time, too!
They're like teenagers: they didn't read the books to find out they weren't
ready yet! G

Lee

Old 18-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Jerrispond

The spawn will not be
unnoticed. The top of the pond will be covered with white foam, milt.

My koi have spawned for years now. I have watched them, and have a few babies
survive every year. I have never seen the eggs or the milt....could it be
because the pond is large? Jerri

Old 18-04-2003, 03:08 AM
RichToyBox

Jerri,

Might be, or the number and size of fish is small. The eggs are hard to
see. They are clear and sticky. If you lift out the plant pots, any rocks,
or any other object and look at it closely, you will see eggs everywhere.
There were so many last year, that trying to pick stuff up, I was crushing
the eggs. I usually have three days of spawning a year. Two on the full
moon in May and one on the full moon in June. At least one of the spawns
will cover the pond in milt. Nitrites went to about 60 within several days.
That's 10 times the ability of the test kit.
--
RichToyBox

Old 18-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Jerrispond

Might be, or the number and size of fish is small. The eggs are hard to
see. They are clear and sticky. If you lift out the plant pots, any rocks,
or any other object and look at it closely, you will see eggs everywhere.

I do keep a low number of fish....10 full sized ( herons got 9 last year) and 3
babies from last year. The pond is 10,000 gallons. 2 females are in the 30
inch range, the rest are small (18 to 20 inches) and mostly male I think. I
keep my koi stock low, so I can run a "natural" unfiltered ( veggie only) pond.
......Besides, when I come to the pond they all follow me around it, so it looks
crowded ) I have the water up about 2 inche higher than usual, because
the females get into the pots, and all the others follow her in. I want to
have a little cushion for her to get in easier. The females are really
swelling with eggs. I never noticed if the moon was full when they spawned,
but they do tear up the anacharis and it floats several days befor the spawn.
I never noticed the month either....I am in zone 7B Atlanta area. I don't test
the water, etc etc etc.....Just me and my pretty fish Jerri

Old 18-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Jerrispond wrote:
The spawn will not be
unnoticed. The top of the pond will be covered with white foam, milt.

My koi have spawned for years now. I have watched them, and have a few babies
survive every year. I have never seen the eggs or the milt....could it be
because the pond is large? Jerri

I guess I'm lucky then. The fish spawn right where I
usually feed them and the eggs are very visible in the algae
on the side of the pond. I guess the fact that I have no
plants in the pond make eggs more visible also.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 23-04-2003, 02:44 AM
~ jan

If you have a mix of koi & goldfish, when the koi do breed you may not get
full koi, as goldfish and koi will interbreed, the results supposedly
aren't pretty.

The babies you are seeing now were probably very tiny going into winter. I
know I was surprised to pull over a dozen baby moors out of my lily pond
this spring, when I had tried to catch them all out last spring. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 29-04-2003, 02:32 AM
RichToyBox

Sacha,

I am in zone 7a/b, and my koi breed under a full moon in May and again in
June. I think the water temperature is about 70 degrees at the time of
breeding, but mine is heated to that temperature all winter until last
weekend. The covers are now off the ponds, and the temperature has dropped
about 3 degrees. With the warm weather this week it will be back up. As
for deciding age by size, it is very hard to do. Some is genetics, and the
fish will just never get but so big. Some is feeding, a well fed fish
raised in a mud pond should be about 12 to 15 inches at one year, 18 to 22
inches at 2 years and about 24 inches at three years. Most of us don't get
that good a growth rate, About the smallest fish that I have seen cast eggs
was probably about 18 inches, but the young males, as with all young males,
want in on the action, even if they are not old enough to know what they are
doing, or physically able.
--
RichToyBox

"MISSYMAGICGIRL" wrote in message
What's the temp on breeding and can you age koi's by their size??

Thanks,

Sacha

Old 29-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Jerrispond

Is the moon full.....my koi spawned the last few days.....Yes water temp
wasat
69 degrees. I am in atlanta area...zone 7B full moon was the 16th new

moon the 1st and next full moon 16th of may

Well I guess the horney little buggers couldn't wait :O) Jerri

Old 30-04-2003, 01:56 AM
RichToyBox

So far mine haven't started any fooling around. I have a couple of them
that are about to pop, they are so large.