Old 15-03-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default lost a large bf koi and other things

We went out of town to San Antonio for spring break from Sunday, until
today. We knew that DH's uncle was a week or less away from passing away
from cancer, but we went on, knowing that he(DH) could fly home at a
moment's notice. Anyway, yesterday, my MIL came by to check on the cat, and
found one of my two largest bf koi lying on the driveway, evidently having
jumped out of the pond. He was not a classically attractive koi, not of a
recognized pattern. I used to find him endearingly ugly. Over the last two
years, though, I started to find him kind of pretty. If I can remember my
photobucket login, I'll come back and post a link to a pic. He was bright
yellow, with doitsu scales on the dorsal ridge and random looking red
freckles all over. kinda goofy.
The weird thing is that we had stopped at Water Garden Gems and picked up a
baby bf with gray matsuba scales and a yellow spot on his head and yellow
lips. The head is very white, which I hope is a sign of quality. I am
likely going back, the last wkend in March to try to get one more from Tank
Hollow Farms.

Old 15-03-2007, 02:31 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:22:04 -0500, "Ann in Houston"
wrote:

[...]

Any idea why they jumped out? ~ jan
Old 15-03-2007, 02:40 AM posted to rec.ponds

Hi Ann - I had the same thing happen 5 yrs ago to a ~ 16" straight tail koi
that was not the best looking , but a friendlier fish that we became
attached to. I know how you feel as I came home one day and found it laying
on the slate walkway around the pond. I haven't seen any of my BF koi
jumping, like my straight tail ones did
JME Gale :~)

Old 15-03-2007, 03:48 AM posted to rec.ponds

He seems to have jumped as the result of a terrible storm with lots of
thunder, lightning and torrential rains all at once. I think I have had
that happen before. I'm just glad he was the only one. You know, how they
fade after being dead for a while. He looked white, so my MIL thought it
might have been Big Silver, our big platinum with the matsuba scales. Just
glad that wasn't the case. As sad as I would be, DH would be VERY upset.
He's so proud of her.
I forgot to finish the thought regarding his uncle. He did pass away
Tuesday evening. We were already scheduled to come home today, so no flight
necessary.

Old 15-03-2007, 03:54 AM posted to rec.ponds

Hi, Gale,
Yeah, we all know how a fish can endear himself just by things like
being one of a few who made it through some pond disaster or learning to eat
from your hand, or just coming up first to eat on a regular basis. If I
remember correctly, this guy was a solid yellow baby from Petco. A cheapie
for sure. I'll go look for a way to get back into my photobucket site.

Old 15-03-2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.ponds

Sorry to answer my own post, but this should be a good link to a shot of
Freckles, the flying bf koi.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s-greatpic.jpg

You can see Big Silver in the same shot. Both of them are bigger now.

Old 15-03-2007, 04:27 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
Sorry to answer my own post, but this should be a good link to a shot of
Freckles, the flying bf koi.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s-greatpic.jpg

You can see Big Silver in the same shot. Both of them are bigger now.

========================
I think he was a very usual and pretty fish.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-03-2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.ponds

Ingrid,
Have you ever known of severe storm activity churning up the water and
agitating them into a leap?
wrote in message
usual reason for jumping koi at this time of year.... spawning. stubby
tailed ones
can jump higher and further than bttflys. BTW, shelves are one way to
discourage
jumping. the deep the pond the more omph they can gather on the way up.

Old 15-03-2007, 05:35 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
Ingrid,
Have you ever known of severe storm activity churning up the water and
agitating them into a leap?

==========================
When we have severe storms here my fish go to the bottom. They disappear
under the water lilies or their pots. I know this because I can see the
ponds and tanks from the windows.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-03-2007, 05:54 AM posted to rec.ponds

usual reason for jumping koi at this time of year.... spawning. stubby tailed ones
can jump higher and further than bttflys. BTW, shelves are one way to discourage
jumping. the deep the pond the more omph they can gather on the way up.

in summer jumping is often pH related. and of course koi will jump due to predator
activity.

at least they arent like those damn jumping carp getting into all the rivers now.
knock people right outta their boats. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 15-03-2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.ponds

Yep and you and Randy also hide under a bed or in a closet when
someone knocks on your door too, since like to agitate and stir up
folks you never know who is gonna show up at your door do you
asshole? You reap wqhat you sow CArol Gulley and your just to lazy to
sow anything worth while, just weed seeds like yuor youngin did Your
days are numbered on USENET as everyone has you figured out for the
drival you really are.

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:35:51 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

. ..

-------
Old 15-03-2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.ponds

a lot of fresh water induces spawning. and I know fish will jump for insects.
insects get knocked down during storms. electrical charge leaking could goose fish
in water. but dont have any facts putting those together. my last jumper before I
netted the pond tighter than a drum was an Orfe. he went out thru a corner that
wasnt well attached. I dont remember any storm. just spring altho he was the only
orfe in the pond. Ingrid

wrote in message
usual reason for jumping koi at this time of year.... spawning. stubby
tailed ones
can jump higher and further than bttflys. BTW, shelves are one way to
discourage
jumping. the deep the pond the more omph they can gather on the way up.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 17-03-2007, 04:12 AM posted to rec.ponds
how how is offline

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
Ingrid,
Have you ever known of severe storm activity churning up the water and
agitating them into a leap?

Hi,
While removing a sub gravel filter (and gambusia) from a 4200 gallon
concrete pond, the five 18 inch koi were placed in a 1000 gallon waterfall
basin. There was no net ( a learning experience $$) but plenty of aeration.
The first night all was fine. The second night a major thunder storm with
lightning came and all fish jumped out. Not proof but I think it was the
storm.
-_- how
no NEWS is good