GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   stock tank (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/15576-stock-tank.html)

Jan 19-04-2003 04:56 PM

stock tank

I have installed a stock tank this year and was wondering what could be used
on the bottom of it to hide the gray color of the tank..? I understand
rocks or pea gravel is not a good idea for goldfish...
thanks..
jan

K30a 19-04-2003 05:44 PM

stock tank

Bunches of anacharis might work, or hornwort,
any kind of underwater plant. They usually come with lead tape wrapped around
the bottom to make them sink.
If you are worried about the lead you can rubberband them to a rock.

k30a

sandra 19-04-2003 08:44 PM

stock tank

One of my small tropical fish ponds is in a 70 gal trough. I bought about
8-10 containers of polished rock (sizes larger +1.5" and flat). Rocks can
be purchased at Wal-Mart, osh, similar places. They look nice on bottom with
plants like anacharis anchored in them. I siphon vac around them about once
a month. If your trough is in-ground and you use a shop vac or water hose
siphon, the rocks will tend to jam in the vac. The rocks are kept clean by
cory catfish. I have had goldfish and cory's in same trough without trouble.
Sandra

mad 20-04-2003 11:22 PM

stock tank

jan, i have a stocktank pond. if you will just wait around a while, algae
will turn the bottom dark. i have had mine up 3 summers--the one coming on
will be the 3rd--and the only bright blue showing is above the water line
anymore. be patient.
mad
--
See my zone 8B pond: