Old 19-04-2003, 09:20 PM
kari

Default Solar pumps

Has anyone ever used solar pumps for the pond or a fountain? I'm
wondering if this would be a viable option when I finally get up the
gumption to begin digging!

Old 21-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

Not if you want fish or the possibility of night viewing. Fish need oxygen,
and they need it the most at night when plants reverse themselves and start
consuming oxygen instead of making it. If you shut off the pump, you'd
better plan on putting in an air pump instead.

And shoot, at night - a pond without movement is just a big puddle G!

Old 28-04-2003, 06:08 PM
~ jan

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 13:05:55 -0700, kari wrote:

Has anyone ever used solar pumps for the pond or a fountain? I'm
wondering if this would be a viable option when I finally get up the
gumption to begin digging!

The pump I've used that comes with the panel that sits outside the pond is
not very reliable. It only worked good May through July with the sun at its
summer high points and the pump died after that. I replaced it, and the
replacement was even shorter lived. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 29-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Mary Swim

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 13:05:55 -0700, kari wrote:

Has anyone ever used solar pumps for the pond or a fountain? I'm
wondering if this would be a viable option when I finally get up the
gumption to begin digging!

What I'd like is one of those decorative garden windmills that
actually works and pumps enough water for a little waterfall.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Kari

I was hoping to find one that had a battery capacity so it would run through
the night. But so far, I have had no luck. It sure would make life an
awful lot more simple!

Old 07-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Bob H

Default Pumps

I have read 50 gph per inch so 48' sounds a lot like 2400 would be enough, I
am running a 5000 gph pump through a 22' biofalls then into 2 waterfalls, it
has a nice flow...the pump has a 1 1/2 outlet then 24' through 2" hose &
into the filter, the total rise from the bottom of the pond to the inlet is
about 7 ft.
http://groups.msn.com/TheOldGardenPo...to&PhotoID=369

"John Rutz" wrote in message

Would someone please answer my post? Would certainly appreciate it.

On Sun, 04 May 2003 11:41:33 GMT,
wrote:

Need some expert advice. I am told that to have a waterfall 4 feet
wide I will need a 5000 gph pump. I plan to have a bio filter at the
top of the fall and a skimmer across the pond from it.

Can I do this with only one pump and where would the pump be placed.

Thanks a bunch.

pixi

depends on the depth of the flow I had a 3 ft wide waterfall with my
old log veggie filters ( see pics on website) it sounded real good at
aproximatly 35 ft from the portch, i was feeding it with 2 1200 gal
trash pumps, when I went to the 2400 gal it just got deeper across the
wier and realy didnt change the sound all lthat much ( went from maybe
1/8 in to 1/4 in thick )
my drop was about 2 ft, now with the nw setup I just put in the wier is
14 in and pushin 2000 gph aprox with the same sound ( going thru 75 ft
of 2 in pipe reduced to 1 1/4 at the stock tank with a rise of 2 ft )
you dont say how high and far you are pumping the water so that would
make a difference

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

solar powered pond pumps aaytee Ponds 0 26-01-2011 02:19 AM
Solar Powered Pond Pumps bruce Ponds 7 19-09-2006 12:53 AM
Lugano Solar Pond Pumps greyness Ponds (alternative) 0 02-02-2006 12:18 AM
How efficient are solar powered pumps? Broadback Ponds 3 03-08-2005 07:45 AM
Advice required on water feature / solar pumps SteveWJ United Kingdom 8 20-04-2005 09:13 AM