Old 20-02-2003, 01:51 PM
John Q.

Default fish change colors ?

I'm located in Western NY and since we get
a bit of snow here, my wife didn't want to
take a chance leaving all our fish outside
over winter (it's our first winter with fish
in pond,) so we rigged up an indoor pond and
brought some fish inside. These lucky ones
included three 2 inch babies who are
black/brown in color. Also were two 1 inch
babies, same color.

Over the last couple weeks, the two smaller
babies have changed color and now are almost
completely gold/orange while the larger babies
remain the dark color.

As I mentioned this was our first winter with
fish (and babies as well!) so we were quite
surprised to watch this gradual color change,
assuming it was a protection "device" making
them harder to see in the wild and giving them
a better chance at survival.

Should we expect the larger babies to change
color as well? Any guesses as to why the small
ones changed before the larger ones did?
Anyone know of a website which covers this
topic? I did a bit of searching but was unable
to find specific answers.

the "unlucky" fish who remain outside -
I did put a floating heater in to keep a hole
in the ice and periodic checks (whenever the
snow/ice lets up and we can see the bottom!)
show that they are still down there swimming
ever so slowly.

Thanks,
John Q.
Old 21-02-2003, 01:41 AM
Jerrispond

three 2 inch babies who are
black/brown in color. Also were two 1 inch babies, same color.Over the last

couple weeks, the two smaller babies have changed color and now are almost
completely gold/orange while the larger babies remain the dark color.

goldfish are born the dark brownish grey color. They then change to gold. If
there is to be any white spots on them they will get it last. Some fish take
up to 2 years, and get very big befor changing. Some from the same pond will
change when less than an inch long......Hope this helps. Jerri

Old 19-11-2003, 03:02 AM
ponder

Some Gf like Shubinkins can be there color from birth, it is usually the
regular everyday GF that will be brown first.