Old 14-04-2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default New fish behavior

I bought some new fish on the internet and released them into my empty
pond yesterday. I have two 16" koi in the main pond, so I put the 9
new ones in a different pond till they get bigger. They are pretty
much staying on the bottom and I have not seen them move much. I fed
them this morning and none came to the surface.

Wondering if others have had this experience and if it's hopefully
fine?

Old 14-04-2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.ponds

"chereena" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought some new fish on the internet and released them into my empty
pond yesterday. I have two 16" koi in the main pond, so I put the 9
new ones in a different pond till they get bigger. They are pretty
much staying on the bottom and I have not seen them move much. I fed
them this morning and none came to the surface.

I hope you acclimated them to the new water slowly and didn't just dump them
out into your pond?!?!?!?! If there was a large difference in the temp
and/or PH of the water it may take them awhile to recover.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-04-2007, 04:40 PM posted to rec.ponds

Of course I did.
they were in a bag floating on the water for about 3 hours before we
released them.

oups.com...

Old 15-04-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.ponds

"chereena" wrote in message
oups.com...
Of course I did.
they were in a bag floating on the water for about 3 hours before we
released them.
====================
That's not what I meant. That only equalizes the temperature, not the PH
and other factors involved. No need to float them for 3 hours. Even a
large bag would equalize in 15 to 20 minutes. When you acclimate them you
put them in a tub of some kind and gradually add pond water... slowly,
slowly, until the water in the tub is mostly pond water... them add them to
the pond.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 16-04-2007, 05:31 AM posted to rec.ponds

Take a water sample to a fish shop and get an ammonia and nitrite test.
both should be 0ppm
I'd would pull fish outta new pond until ya can be sure the waters ok

Old 16-04-2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.ponds

which pond? the upper pond? the new ones could well be carrying disease.
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/c...%20pond%20fish

they typically go to the bottom when released. Ingrid

"chereena" wrote:

I bought some new fish on the internet and released them into my empty
pond yesterday. I have two 16" koi in the main pond, so I put the 9
new ones in a different pond till they get bigger. They are pretty
much staying on the bottom and I have not seen them move much. I fed
them this morning and none came to the surface.

Wondering if others have had this experience and if it's hopefully
fine?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 16-04-2007, 05:42 PM posted to rec.ponds

Thank you. They are still there (on the bottom). I am wondering if I
am going to be able to catch them to put them into the larger pond. I
have not put them there yet because they are only about 5" long and
the others are about 16". I have plants on order to give them some
cover, but right now it's just a wide open space. Afraid the adults
will eat them.

Old 16-04-2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.ponds

The people at my local pet store did not tell me I needed to do that.
That's why I released them in the upper pond [ which they said was
fine]. I treated the water with ph solution yesterday, but otherwise
it looks fine. Everyone is now telling me the uper pond is being
used as a veggie filter. As soon as I get more plants down below I
will need to somehow catch and move them.

Old 16-04-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.ponds

"chereena" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you. They are still there (on the bottom). I am wondering if I
am going to be able to catch them to put them into the larger pond. I
have not put them there yet because they are only about 5" long and
the others are about 16". I have plants on order to give them some
cover, but right now it's just a wide open space. Afraid the adults
will eat them.

====================
Unless the adults are starving they don't eat smaller fish. I have never
seen a koi eat a smaller fish, even a tiny one. The fry happily swim around
with their parents in my ponds. The adults ignore the small fry and go for
the pellets or whatever I'm feeding them.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 16-04-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.ponds

The big ones won't harm a 5" small one. They may, however, be hard to
catch! Even when Jim isolated several in a 'neck' in the pond, they
were hard to catch and promptly jumped out over a screen that reached
from the bottom of the pol to 12" above it! They can be torpedos.
Jim gets them used to eating from a 24" salt water net when he wants
to get them now. Then he can just lift it when they feed.

Phyllis

Old 17-04-2007, 12:34 PM posted to rec.ponds

you can certainly hope that like most fish they will go downstream soon and end up in
the lower pond.

For future reference. Dont open bags of fish and leave them in the bag while
floating. and never mix pond water or fresh water into bag water containing fish.
Fish wastes in closed bags set up a balanced pH, but when opened the bag degasses and
the pH increases with the ammonia becoming very toxic to the gills. Furthermore
mixing water with bag water generates some kind of compound(s) that is toxic to the
fish. Ingrid

"chereena" wrote:
The people at my local pet store did not tell me I needed to do that.
That's why I released them in the upper pond [ which they said was
fine]. I treated the water with ph solution yesterday, but otherwise
it looks fine. Everyone is now telling me the uper pond is being
used as a veggie filter. As soon as I get more plants down below I
will need to somehow catch and move them.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 17-04-2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.ponds

Good advice. Thanks.

New Koi Behavior V.V. Ponds (alternative) 5 25-08-2005 03:35 AM
New Koi Behavior V.V. Ponds 5 25-08-2005 03:35 AM
Fish Behavior After Heron Attack [email protected] Ponds 3 31-03-2005 12:54 AM
Strange behavior... SueAndHerZoo Ponds 34 20-03-2004 03:42 AM
tetra species behavior LeighMo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:15 AM