Old 16-04-2007, 10:45 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Fibre Glass Pond Application

I wonder if someone could help...

I have seen fibre glass successfully used in the designs of garden ponds and
was hoping that you might offer some advice of what materials and resins to
use.

The finished pond will consist if a raised water feature which will overflow
through a small waterfall into a shallow stream (12 inches wide x 12-15 feet
in length) and drop to a pond (surface 6 feet x 10 feet; depth: varying to
max of 5 feet). Structurally, underlying everything will be cement blocks
and slab, which is to be waterproofed and capped with ornamental stones.

From what I recall the application called for a rendered surface (near
smooth) on which they applied 2-3 layers of fibre glass with a dark coloured
pigment for effect.

Regards

Sean

Old 16-04-2007, 02:09 PM posted to rec.ponds

cement ponds tend to crack about the same as swimming pools. most of us use dark
liners, altho it doesnt matter because fuzzy algae will colonize all surfaces anyway
and look a nice, natural green in 1 season. Ingrid

"Sean" wrote:

I wonder if someone could help...

I have seen fibre glass successfully used in the designs of garden ponds and
was hoping that you might offer some advice of what materials and resins to
use.

The finished pond will consist if a raised water feature which will overflow
through a small waterfall into a shallow stream (12 inches wide x 12-15 feet
in length) and drop to a pond (surface 6 feet x 10 feet; depth: varying to
max of 5 feet). Structurally, underlying everything will be cement blocks
and slab, which is to be waterproofed and capped with ornamental stones.

From what I recall the application called for a rendered surface (near
smooth) on which they applied 2-3 layers of fibre glass with a dark coloured
pigment for effect.

Regards

Sean

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 16-04-2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Sean" wrote:

I wonder if someone could help...

I have seen fibre glass successfully used in the designs of garden ponds
and
was hoping that you might offer some advice of what materials and resins
use.

The finished pond will consist if a raised water feature which will
overflow
through a small waterfall into a shallow stream (12 inches wide x 12-15
feet
in length) and drop to a pond (surface 6 feet x 10 feet; depth: varying to
max of 5 feet). Structurally, underlying everything will be cement blocks
and slab, which is to be waterproofed and capped with ornamental stones.

From what I recall the application called for a rendered surface (near

wrote in message
cement ponds tend to crack about the same as swimming pools. most of us
use dark
liners, altho it doesnt matter because fuzzy algae will colonize all
surfaces anyway
and look a nice, natural green in 1 season. Ingrid

I think that I would be right to suggest that a liner being a more common
choice for a self-build is probably down to budgets and ease of
construction. Having previously built a lined pool I found it very easy ...
just dig a hole, cover it with a liner, fill with water and trim the edges
.... okay so that's a little further from the truth than reality, but for
fibre-glass we're talking of an awful lot more preparation and construction
time ... and of course, cost.

I am sure that the end result would be that a blockwork, cement rendered and
fibreglass coated pool would offer a longer lasting finish than a liner
would. The latter woudn't be affected as much by sunlight or our inquisitive
dog (and her claws).

Would be interested in hearing the thoughts of someone who has worked with a
fibreglass pool and hearing the pros/cons from their experience.

When I get started, I will open a website with the images of the progress of
construction, which may prove an interesting read ... particularly as this
will also encompass a 300+ sq/foot deck (overhanging the pool a little),
pergola and firepit/barbeque. It's a real garden makeover project.