Old 27-01-2008, 03:57 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default The Day My Computer Died

I've always been a skeptic when it comes to technology, especially
computers and the Information Age. I used to think it was crazy how
people would put their total faith into a machine, some even more so
than in their faith in humanity. Human beings are flawed, imperfect
creatures. I say this in a positive way because if humanity were
completely positive and perfect we would have nothing to learn, and
life would lose its vitality and mystery. Computers come from the same
universal reality as humanity, so I believe that we should look at
technology in a similar context. Computers are not infallible pieces
of nature's perfection.

I've come to learn that computers are great tools for human society.
They can be functional in innumerable areas of everyday existence,
helping to simplify many aspects of our lives. However, as today I
discovered my computer had 'died' after a lightning strike had hit my
house and subsequent power surge, the realization came that a complete
faith in our progressive technology is simply not practical. I'm not
saying that like the Luddites of the early era of industrialization we
need to destroy this stuff, I'm just saying that we must realize that
like all things in life, technology can and will become sick and die
on occasion. Working at an Internet Web Hosting company I have been
witness to many of these illnesses, and it has been very fortunate
that human 'doctors' have been present to undertake surgery.

It's a real bummer when something goes wrong, but these occurrences
are necessary in a space-time continuum that is in constant flux. If
you are a spiritual person, you might say that there's only one thing
in life to have unwavering faith in: Magical existence itself. You
might be asking yourself by now, 'What is this guy talking about?' I
think I'm just rationalizing the

http://www.dontplayplay.com/html/Hum...929/25534.html