Old 22-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Nedra

Default Lotus Pond is Looking Mighty Slow

My lotus pond barely has some very small pads ready to open. Can't figure
out what is wrong. We have had lots of Grackles bathe in the lotus pond
water and now it looks all dirty and black. Along edges it
looks oily. This is a very pretty bird and I would like to keep it
somewhere close.... just not in the ponds.

Anyone have any ideas on keeping the Grackles out of the lotus
pond water?

Nedra

Old 22-04-2003, 08:56 AM
jammer

My pond is looking oily! Do birds do that?

Old 22-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Nedra

Jammer, I was just guessing - don't know for sure. I do
that the pond has giant oil slicks in it - - not thick just big
ol' places that look oily. No pump is running
so I layed blame squarely on the Grackles. Do any
of your lotuses appear to be growing?
Guess I'd better hook up about 3 air stones.
I do know they (lotus) like aeration.

Nedra

Old 22-04-2003, 02:56 PM

oil slicks are common on ponds first thing in spring. plant tissue breaks down
putting nutrients into the water... . some of it is oily. Ingrid
Old 22-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Nedra

Thanks Ingrid. I'm relieved

Nedra

Old 22-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Steve Watson

"Nedra" wrote in message arthlink.net...
My lotus pond barely has some very small pads ready to open. Can't figure
out what is wrong. We have had lots of Grackles bathe in the lotus pond
water and now it looks all dirty and black. Along edges it
looks oily. This is a very pretty bird and I would like to keep it
somewhere close.... just not in the ponds.

Yes, they look very attractive with that steel-blue sheen on the
feathers and all -- except when they come by the dozen, and chase off
all the other birds, and s**t all over the patio furniture so you have
to wash it off before you can sit by the pond. This is why we stopped
filling the bird-feeder during the summer -- all we ever got was
street gangs of d**ned s**tting grackles! We only put out seed from
~October to March now, to look after the migrating stopovers and
winter residents (juncos, chickadees, sparrows, finches, the odd
cardinal).

Anyone have any ideas on keeping the Grackles out of the lotus
pond water?

If you're bird-feeding, I suggest you stop. If you're not, then I
really dunno -- put up a plastic owl maybe? Bird netting? Shark-fin
decoy in the water? ;-)

-- Steve (whose three BFK all survived the winter, and so did 2 of 3
shubunkins, and even a couple of the fantails, as well as most of the
plain old comets).
Old 22-04-2003, 05:08 PM
John Rutz

Steve Watson wrote:
"Nedra" wrote in message arthlink.net...

My lotus pond barely has some very small pads ready to open. Can't figure
out what is wrong. We have had lots of Grackles bathe in the lotus pond
water and now it looks all dirty and black. Along edges it
looks oily. This is a very pretty bird and I would like to keep it
somewhere close.... just not in the ponds.

when we repoted ours the other day it only showd "green" at the grow
tips which are still down in the dirt still a bit to cold here i guess

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico
If it can't be fixed with bailing wire or duct tape
its not worth fixing

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 22-04-2003, 05:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Steve Watson" wrote in message
om...
"Nedra" wrote in message

arthlink.net...
My lotus pond barely has some very small pads ready to open. Can't

figure
out what is wrong. We have had lots of Grackles bathe in the lotus pond
water and now it looks all dirty and black. Along edges it
looks oily. This is a very pretty bird and I would like to keep it
somewhere close.... just not in the ponds.

Yes, they look very attractive with that steel-blue sheen on the
feathers and all -- except when they come by the dozen, and chase off
all the other birds, and s**t all over the patio furniture...

snip

What is a grackle? I had a friend with a bird stuck in her furnace chimney.
Furnace guys said it was a grackle, and that grackles love chimneys. What is
this bird?

BV.

Old 22-04-2003, 05:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
snip
What is a grackle? I had a friend with a bird stuck in her furnace

chimney.
Furnace guys said it was a grackle, and that grackles love chimneys. What

is
this bird?

snip

Google BV...google...

http://www.surfbirds.com/namericanbirds/cgrackle.html

Old 22-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 02:30:45 -0500, Nedra wrote:

Anyone have any ideas on keeping the Grackles out of the lotus pond
water?

Nedra

Float a rubber snake or two?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.

Old 22-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Nedra

Thanks for all the ideas on floating "things". I'm somewhat
worried about the babies up in the cedar trees. Guess I
better wait til they are out of the nest. Boy do I ever
borrow trouble

Nedra

newsan.2003.04.22.13.12.36.75373.11529@WizardsTo wer...

Old 22-04-2003, 11:20 PM
jammer

I don't have any lotus, but here comes lilly pad #8

Old 23-04-2003, 07:08 AM
~ jan

Nedra, when did your lotus start showing life last year?

I'm happy to report that the lotus I purchased from Mac's last fall and
divided to two containers is "ALIVE". I was really wondering if I was gonna
have a brown thumb regarding those, but they're both showing growth with
furled pads heading to or at the surface. ) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 23-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Marion Margoshes

Nedra wrote:

Thanks for all the ideas on floating "things". I'm somewhat
worried about the babies up in the cedar trees. Guess I
better wait til they are out of the nest. Boy do I ever
borrow trouble

Nedra

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in message
newsan.2003.04.22.13.12.36.75373.11529@WizardsTo wer...
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 02:30:45 -0500, Nedra wrote:

Anyone have any ideas on keeping the Grackles out of the lotus pond
water?

Nedra

Float a rubber snake or two?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
"Wize(ned) Wizard," A.P.F-P-Y.
Barely Tolerated Wizard, A.J.L & A.A.L

It reminds me of when I put plastic water lilies in the tiny preformed
pond to fool the racoons, and they pulled them out and tore them up,
just as they had done the live lilies ---- TELLING ME SOMETHING !!!!!