Old 23-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Szpond

Default Toads, toads, and more toads....

Wow! My son and I counted over 20 mating toads in the pond! Boy are their
mating calls loud. Was pretty neat to see. Now there are absolutely thousands
of eggs in the pond! Anyone know how long before we are going to be overtaken
by tadpoles??? Cathy
Old 23-04-2003, 01:32 AM
K30a

What fun!! ;-)
Toad eggs hatch into toadpoles pretty darn quick.
All depends on the temperature of your water.
How big is your pond?
I would start watching your ammonia levels now.
If you start seeing any positive results for ammonia remove some of the
eggs/tadpoles to a kiddy pool or large container filled with pond water. You
can feed them boiled organic lettuces.
Stick a ramp in for them to leave when they turn into infant toads.
Or you can transport them to any natural pond/swampy wetland in your area.

k30a
Old 23-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:55:30 -0500, Szpond wrote:

Wow! My son and I counted over 20 mating toads in the pond! Boy
are their mating calls loud. Was pretty neat to see. Now there are
absolutely thousands of eggs in the pond! Anyone know how long
before we are going to be overtaken by tadpoles??? Cathy

Tadpoles? Plenty!
With a good fish load and Mom and Dad frog around (and possibly a
snake or two among other creepy-crawlies) you shouldn't have much of a
toad load (hey, I like that phrase!) left after a while though. Just
watch for an ammonia spike.

Cybe R. Wizard

--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 23-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

Around here, we get Southern Toads and they sing their little hearts out! I
like the noise, just not what they do. Koi don't eat tad/toadpoles; in fact,
I've actually seen mine spit them out when they're eating! You will have a
gazillion toadpoles when you leave for work one morning, and when you get
home - they're GONE! Poof! My favorite analogy is the 7th Plague of Egypt -
you'd think you'd have toads all over the place! But you won't see nary a
one . . . it's a mystery! BTW, my grandson thinks the big ones are giving
the little ones swimming lessons . . . s

Lee

Old 23-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 07:59:26 -0500, Lee Brouillet wrote:

Koi don't eat
tad/toadpoles; in fact, I've actually seen mine spit them out when
they're eating!

Mine seem to slurp them up pretty handily until they (tadpoles) reach
a certain stage of development, after which they (koi) won't touch
them. It maybe has to do with the 'poison' gland development in toads
and frogs?

Cybe R. Wizard

Old 23-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Tadpoles, yes. Toadpoles, no. Toads do the "black pearl necklace" thing;
frogs do clumps of eggs. Frogs are fair game and tasty; toads are just plain
yucky-poo from the start!

Lee

newsan.2003.04.23.08.16.25.19671.11529@WizardsTo wer...

Old 24-04-2003, 12:44 AM

In , on 04/22/03
at 09:07 PM, jammer said:

I WANT TOADS!!!

(stomping feet, flailing arms, and acting a fool)

Me, too!!!!

Alan

**** Please use address to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Old 24-04-2003, 02:32 AM
MLF

"Lee Brouillet" wrote:
Frogs are fair game and tasty; toads are just plain
yucky-poo from the start!

Lee:

I assume you learned this by talking to the koi and not through actual
culinary experience.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 24-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

What's that quote?: You're just jealous 'cause the voices are talkin' to ME!
Of *course* the fish told me! At least that's who I *thought* it was G!

Going on the assumption that all eggs are caviar to the fish (they eat their
own eggs, frog eggs, other fish eggs, snail eggs, etc.) and the fact that
strings of toad eggs survive with impunity; add that tadpoles get gulped and
toadpoles get spit out, I figure they just plain don't LIKE 'em! Now I admit
to having tried frog legs at a restaurant (ONCE! then I kept having dreams
of little froggy amputees in tiny wheelchairs!), but I've left the toad
culinary experiences to the fish!

Lee

Old 24-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

What's the quote? "You're just jealous because the voices are talking to
ME!" But of COURSE the koi told me!!! Going on the assumption that my pond
piggies will eat their own eggs, frog eggs, snail eggs, chicken egg (mashed
and hard boiled, of course), I *assumed* that they'd eat ANY egg (provided
it was edible). Those nasty little black pearl necklaces are SAFE. I admit
to eating frog legs once (but I got nightmares, dreaming of little froggy
double amputees riding in tiny wheelchairs!), so I haven't done it again.

Lee

Old 18-06-2003, 03:08 PM
jammer

Went out this morning and i have some little toadlets sitting out of
the water. They are so little and cute!

Old 18-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

jammer wrote:
Went out this morning and i have some little toadlets sitting out of
the water. They are so little and cute!

So glad you had the chance to see them before they hop away.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 18-06-2003, 08:44 PM
jammer

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:13:54 GMT, Bonnie Espenshade
wrote:

jammer wrote:
Went out this morning and i have some little toadlets sitting out of
the water. They are so little and cute!

So glad you had the chance to see them before they hop away.

Yes, thank you. I need to get more things (sticks) for them to climb
out on. Before i do that, I am going to dig the dirt up real lose in
some places around the pond hoping they will decide to stay around. In
2 yrs, the males should be back and in 3, the females. (To the pond to
mate) We will see then if i upped the population any. I think we have
5 resident toads as it is now. I can see where those little babies
would make good and exotic bird food, but i have to let nature take
it's course and hope to see some of them again next year.

more and more from Faerie Holler as I can send 'em madgardener Garden Photos 0 11-07-2007 03:02 PM
OTish Court case involving turtles and toads and cocaine kathy Ponds 7 14-03-2005 07:24 PM
Toads...and the #1 reason i like toads is..... jammer Ponds 2 29-04-2004 12:05 AM
Tadpoles and Frogs/Toads MLF Ponds 3 09-06-2003 01:44 AM
Lizards and toads [email protected] Edible Gardening 4 02-05-2003 12:56 AM