GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Koi is "surfing" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/17382-koi-surfing.html)

Carl Beyer 23-04-2003 07:56 PM

Koi is "surfing"

Thanks to everyone in that has helped me so far... My large (15") koi
has started a bizarre habit yesterday..

Basically, I have a Beckett 1600 powering a waterfall. The flow is too
much. After talking to beckett, I decided to put a T connector in line
underwater, to vent some of the pressure off. It increased the pond
circulation, reduces my aeratoin a bit (not a problem near asI can
tell). But now my big koi is playing around in the area of the relief
valve, "surfing" on the jet blast.

I just want to make sure this is normal, and not a sign of something
wrong. Fish seems very healthy. I have heard koi can be "playful"...

Thanks for any input

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com

MISSYMAGICGIRL 23-04-2003 08:20 PM

Koi is "surfing"

A few of mine sometimes pop half of the bodies straight out of the water; is
this a mating behavior??

Thanks,

Sacha

Lee Brouillet 23-04-2003 09:20 PM

Koi is "surfing"

Carl, they like to play in water streams. It also gives them good exercise.
Unless he's gulping at the surface, he's just having fun!

Lee

Barbara2245 24-04-2003 01:08 AM

Koi is "surfing"

Carl Beyer wrote in message ...
Thanks to everyone in that has helped me so far... My large (15") koi
has started a bizarre habit yesterday..

Basically, I have a Beckett 1600 powering a waterfall. The flow is too
much. After talking to beckett, I decided to put a T connector in line
underwater, to vent some of the pressure off. It increased the pond
circulation, reduces my aeratoin a bit (not a problem near asI can
tell). But now my big koi is playing around in the area of the relief
valve, "surfing" on the jet blast.

I just want to make sure this is normal, and not a sign of something
wrong. Fish seems very healthy. I have heard koi can be "playful"...

Thanks for any input

Carl

My goldfish love to play in the water shooting out of the hose. I'm
sure your koi is having fun. Happy water gardening.

Steve Eyrse 27-04-2003 05:56 PM

Koi is "surfing"

This is sort of a repost to this topic. I had a "bell" water fountin
in the pond besides the water fall via filter. Took the bell part off
to clean but it was still bubbling quite a good volume but under
water. Well the gold fish started swimming thru it getting flipped
around and just kept doing it. So I have left it that was, this is
the only TOY I have found other than chaseing chunks of watermellon
that they like.

Steve E.

John 27-04-2003 10:56 PM

Koi is "surfing"

(MISSYMAGICGIRL) wrote in message ...
A few of mine sometimes pop half of the bodies straight out of the water; is
this a mating behavior??

Thanks,

Sacha

My koi also poke there heads out of the water, they do this because we
have a net above the pond and they try to grab the food caught in the
net, its very entertaining.