Old 24-04-2003, 05:56 AM
~ Windsong ~

Default Updated pond site - frogs eat fish

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message
got them. I did stake my ponds out last night, but no visitors, except my
resident frogs. lol

======================
I'm in TN and before we netted our ponds we *SAW* these preditors eat our
fish:

Bull Frogs of every size.
Herons.
A diving bird I think is called a Kingfisher.
Snapping/mud turtles.
An assortment of snakes, most ever 2' long.
--
Carol.......
"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all

Old 25-04-2003, 10:32 PM
AllenC

In , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

I'm in TN and before we netted our ponds we *SAW* these preditors eat our
fish:

Bull Frogs of every size.

Has anyone put pictures of good/bad frogs/toads online?
I'm afraid I don't know the difference :/

I'm in Atlanta, GA. if my location makes any difference.

TIA

--
*Osc on efnet aka Allen C

'news' will bounce, remove it
Old 25-04-2003, 10:56 PM
K30a

Hello Allen,

I found this great site, I'm always looking for good ones as I am a Frog Fan
;-)

http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/GAFrog.Toad.html

It also has recordings of frog and toad calls which is a good way to ID frogs
and toads.

Look at the bullfrog, and his cousin, the pig frog, these are the predators of
the pond.
The easiest way to tell them apart from other frogs is to look at their eyes
and ears. Bullfrogs and pig frogs have a fold of skin that starts at the eye
and curves around the ear drum.
Green/bronze frogs are larger frogs that people mistake for bull/pig frogs but
don't have the curved fold of skin. Green/bronze frogs are much friendlier
frogs to have in the pond.

Bullfrogs and pigfrogs will eat anything. I've had them eat song birds. They
will also eat fish, crawfish, other frogs, snakes, mice.
If you ever want to move them from your pond let us know. Rec.ponders have lots
of practice.

k30a
Old 26-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Nedra

Kathy, I have what I thought were two bullfrogs in the lotus
pond ... only thing is they are closer to solid black than any
of the guys shown on the website you posted. Also, I
do have alot of goldfish in the lotus pond but I have not seen
either of these guys go after any of them. In fact, I have
never seen any bullfrog eat anything! Wonder if what I'm seeing
is not a bullfrog at all? but some other critter? I checked
all the pics and don't see any that even resemble my frogs.
The soil in the lotus pond is a brackish color .... the frogs
seem to be this awful color. Wonder what I've got here?

Nedra

Old 04-05-2003, 03:57 PM
N. Zitney

The bullfrogs we have here in Delaware are almost black too. there were 6
or 8 of em last year, but I haven't seen a 1 of em this year. My nextdoor
neighbor & I share them - HAHA- at the frogs whims of course. She says
they are at her pond now, but I'm sure I'll see some before the summer is
over. We used to have loads of Leopard frogs but now I rarely see any.
Are they Bullfrog food?

In my upper pond with a pretty good waterflow, should I put a couple of
little fish in there? For Mosquito control, is my thinking, or does the
good waterflow keep things moving so that I'm not growing my own mosquito
farm??? Should the filter barrels be comered with plastic or screen? Same
question of skeeters. Pesky devils always find me first, and the grandsons
2nd. Don't want to be worrying about this West Nile mess. We have a
friend up in NJ that spent the better part of a year in the hospital, and
had to learn to do everything again, walk, talk, but is ok now(I've
wondered, ok, compared to what?the way he was before? or to a much lesser
standard ok?? Wa know what I mean??)
Last year was the first that we had West Nile here, and we were finding
the more than occasional dead bird around.
thanks in advance, I always get intelligent feedback here from all you
fellow porgs.
Nan
rthlink.net...

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
MLF

"BenignVanilla" m wrote:
In MD, they are talking about being very strict this year,
to the point that they can now enter your yard and "deal"
with standing water, as they see fit, as I am told.

I hope you will deal with unexpected intruders on your private property "as
you see fit" as well. In Louisiana, mosquito policeman would be an extremely
dangerous job.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"MLF" wrote in message

"BenignVanilla" m wrote:
In MD, they are talking about being very strict this year,
to the point that they can now enter your yard and "deal"
with standing water, as they see fit, as I am told.

My canine patrol unit mines the yard on a daily basis.

BV.