Old 24-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Fred

Default Lily limit in pond?

I have a 4x8x2 foot pond that currently houses two lilies, among a few small
fish and some marginals. The lilies have somewhat smallish leaves, about
4-5", so there isn't a lot of surface cover. Yes, I do have hyacinth as
well. My question: Is there anything wrong with adding a couple more
lilies? I really like the look but don't want to over do it, if that's
possible.

Thanks,

Fred
San Diego

Old 24-04-2003, 07:20 AM
jammer

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:07:30 -0700, Fred wrote:

I have a 4x8x2 foot pond that currently houses two lilies, among a few small
fish and some marginals. The lilies have somewhat smallish leaves, about
4-5", so there isn't a lot of surface cover. Yes, I do have hyacinth as
well. My question: Is there anything wrong with adding a couple more
lilies? I really like the look but don't want to over do it, if that's
possible.

Thanks,

Fred
San Diego

I found this: I don't know if you have hardies or not.

Hardy water lilies need a depth of 36 cm to 46 cm or more of water to
produce strong blooms. Do not over-plant. Where space permits, allow ?
to 1 square metre of water surface for each plant.

Old 24-04-2003, 07:20 AM
jammer

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:13:48 -0500, jammer wrote:

I found this: I don't know if you have hardies or not.

Hardy water lilies need a depth of 36 cm to 46 cm or more of water to
produce strong blooms. Do not over-plant. Where space permits, allow ?
to 1 square metre of water surface for each plant.

I just re-read that and it makes no sense! Here is the website.
http://www.gedye.com.au/culture.html

Old 24-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Fred

The site is Australian, which explains why it says their blooming season is
November to March (southern hemisphere has a reversal of the seasons). It
seems that I may overdo it if I add more than maybe one lily, if the site is
accurate. Thanks for providing the info!

Fred

Old 24-04-2003, 08:32 AM
jammer

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 23:05:04 -0700, Fred wrote:

The site is Australian, which explains why it says their blooming season is
November to March (southern hemisphere has a reversal of the seasons). It
seems that I may overdo it if I add more than maybe one lily, if the site is
accurate. Thanks for providing the info!

Fred

You are very welcome. If it isn't accurate i am sure those much
smarter than I will be in to help. Take care.

Old 24-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Jerrispond

Itseems that I may overdo it if I add more than maybe one lily,

Saying that all lilies are "this" big or need "that" depth is like saying there
is only one type of rose....Just like a rose could be a minature or a climber,
so too are there different types and sizes of lilies. A minature lily only
wants to be down a few inches, and there are some lilies that are not bothered
over 5 feet deep. Some lilies are less than a foot accross and some could be
closer to 10 feet across. If you know the names of the lilies I might be able
to help on the size thing.....Did the lilies have a tag that told you if it was
small med. or large....or maybe a dwarf or tea cup? Jerri