Old 24-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Chi Tran

Default pump recommendation to remove dirt...

I have my pond for almost a year now and it has started to accumulate
dirt/leaves on the bottom
of the the pond and stream.

Any recommendation on the type and size of pump needed to "suck/vacuum" the
dirt out
from the bottom of the pond? Note that my pond has small gravels on the
bottom for natural looks.

Thanks!

- Chi

My pond pictures...
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/chivantra...Garden&.view=t

Old 25-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Chi Tran

Thanks for the recommendation, but how much horse power / amp is considered
a "big ass" pump?

- Chi

Old 25-04-2003, 05:44 PM
John Hines

"Chi Tran" wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation, but how much horse power / amp is considered
a "big ass" pump?

More important is the ability to handle/pump solids. You might check
with a rental place, and see if you can rent one. You don't want to move
much water, less you drain the pond, but you do want to move debris.

Anything you do is going to suck out the small gravels as well, you'll
need to sort them out from the debris Try a screen made of hardware
cloth..

Old 26-04-2003, 03:32 PM

you better specify that you want gravel to go thru the pump, cause most of our pumps
or even sewage pumps will not let gravel go thru the pumping chamber. pine needles
even jam sewage pumps.
this is one of the inherent problems with having gravel on the bottom for "natural
looks" ..
in aquariums we use a siphon, the wet dry vacs also work ... so maybe somebody has a
page showing how to make this work. hope your pond isnt too deep.
Ingrid

Old 27-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Waterbug Guy

I use a 1/6 HP sump pump. I vacuum in 2 steps. First I remove the
leaves with my Muck Mop, water stays in the pond. I wait a day for the
silt to settle and then I vacuum with a hose attached to the pump
intake and pump the dirty water out of the pond. This is the only
setup I've found that doesn't clog the vac head, hose, or pump with
leaves and string algae.

Here's a web page with all the pond vacuuming info I have:

http://www.waterbugdesign.com/pond_vac/

It takes alittle tweaking to get the set up that's right for you and
your pond but I've found vacuuming to be a big help. Once the pond is
clean you can do a monthly vacuuming with just the Muck Mop to keep it
clean.