GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Just bought 2 Koi (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/17516-just-bought-2-koi.html)

Michael Shaffer 24-04-2003 08:56 PM

Just bought 2 Koi

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/koi1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/koi2.jpg

Any advice for a first time Koi owner? Is it okay to have Water
Hiacinthe (spelling..) in my pond? I heard they eat up all the nutrients
in the water. Do I have to worry about animals trying to eat them? My
pond is about 3.5 feet deep.

Thanks

Lee Brouillet 24-04-2003 09:44 PM

Just bought 2 Koi

Congrats on your new acquisitions! They look quite happy in their new home.

Water hyacinths are fine in your pond. They absorb excess nutrients and are
frequently used in veggie filters to filter the water: those funny little
roots of theirs catch a lot of "stuff". Worry about the fish eating them?
Naw, it's guaranteed! They like those fuzzy roots. I usually take mine out
and recycle them to rest homes, i.e., new plants in, chewed root plants out
back to rest and regroup. I've been advised that eventually this won't be
necessary, that the WH will overgrow my pond, but I don't see that happening
(not quite yet, at least!) The fish may just hide under them, too. They like
a little privacy in their lives, doesn't make them feel quite so "exposed".
3.5 feet deep is a nice pond for them.

Good luck, and have fun!

Lee

Bonnie Espenshade 24-04-2003 09:44 PM

Just bought 2 Koi

Michael Shaffer wrote:
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/koi1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/koi2.jpg

Any advice for a first time Koi owner? Is it okay to have Water
Hiacinthe (spelling..) in my pond? I heard they eat up all the nutrients
in the water. Do I have to worry about animals trying to eat them? My
pond is about 3.5 feet deep.

Thanks

Sure you can put water hyacinth in the pond. The koi will
enjoy nibbling on the roots. You don't mention where you're
located. In some areas they are illegal.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Jerrispond 25-04-2003 12:20 AM

Just bought 2 Koi

I have a pair that are colored like that only mine have a little more black,
and are butterflies. Jerri

John Rutz 25-04-2003 12:44 AM

Just bought 2 Koi

Michael Shaffer wrote:
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/koi1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/koi2.jpg

Any advice for a first time Koi owner? Is it okay to have Water
Hiacinthe (spelling..) in my pond? I heard they eat up all the nutrients
in the water. Do I have to worry about animals trying to eat them? My
pond is about 3.5 feet deep.

Thanks

--
welcome to the group nice lookin fish and your pond too

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico
If it can't be fixed with bailing wire or duct tape
its not worth fixing

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Phyllis and Jim Hurley 26-04-2003 07:32 PM

Just bought 2 Koi

Certainly no problem with the hyacinth except for the root nibbling.

Your water is wonderfully clear. Ours is always tea colored.

How big are those koi?

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net