Old 25-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Mike Lea-Wilson

Default Sudden Death of Goldfish

Our goldfish have (almost) all died suddenly, and I was wondering if anyone
could help us determine the cause.

They were in a pond of about 3000 litres (3m x 1m x 1m deep). This is the
upper of our two ponds. The lower one is probably about twice the area and
half the volume, and has a pump in it, which produces a fountain, and pumps
water through a filter to the upper pond, which then goes down a waterfall
back to the lower pond. We don't leave the pump on all the time, because
there seems to be some leakage (probably in the waterfall), so the level
drops after a while, but it is normally on for a few hours each weekend,
less during the week, and not at all when we are away. The lower pond has
plenty of plant life, but the upper pond has virtually none. It gets very
little sun because it is heavily shaded by a willow tree and a large pampas
grass. The fish are perhaps not fed as often as they should be (about two or
three times a week), but they seem to have survived on this up till now. We
have noticed over the last few months that whenever the pump is first turned
on there is a nasty smell, but this goes away after a few minutes, and did
not seem to be causing a problem. We were away for a couple of days over
Easter, then when I turned the pump on on Monday morning, I didn't notice
any dead fish, but a few hours later there were 21 dead fish floating on the
surface. Over the next few days another 9 died, though earlier this evening
I did actually see one still alive.

Can anyone suggest what we can do to prevent this happening again, and if
possible to rescue the one (or more) survivor(s)?

Mike.
Old 25-04-2003, 12:44 AM
John Rutz

Mike Lea-Wilson wrote:
Our goldfish have (almost) all died suddenly, and I was wondering if anyone
could help us determine the cause.

They were in a pond of about 3000 litres (3m x 1m x 1m deep). This is the
upper of our two ponds. The lower one is probably about twice the area and
half the volume, and has a pump in it, which produces a fountain, and pumps
water through a filter to the upper pond, which then goes down a waterfall
back to the lower pond. We don't leave the pump on all the time,

snip
We
have noticed over the last few months that whenever the pump is first turned
on there is a nasty smell, but this goes away after a few minutes, and did
not seem to be causing a problem. We were away for a couple of days over
Easter, then when I turned the pump on on Monday morning, I didn't notice
any dead fish, but a few hours later there were 21 dead fish floating on the
surface. Over the next few days another 9 died, though earlier this evening
I did actually see one still alive.

Can anyone suggest what we can do to prevent this happening again, and if
possible to rescue the one (or more) survivor(s)?

Mike.

-- sounds like you are stirring up Hydrogen Sulfide Gas when you turn
the pump back on you realy need to leave it on 24 7 and clean out the
lower p0ond it develops in the gunk onn the bottom

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico
If it can't be fixed with bailing wire or duct tape
its not worth fixing

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 25-04-2003, 01:59 AM
RichToyBox

Mike,

What you describe sounds like hydrogen sulfide poisoning. The nasty smell
is probably hydrogen sulfide. Hydrogen sulfide is a gas formed in anaerobic
digestion. The still water in the pipes is not getting oxygen, so the
bacteria that are there are creating the gas. The gas is highly toxic. To
prevent this, the pump should be run continuously. You really need to find
the leak so that you can run the pump. If the pump is going to be cycled,
as you are currently doing, then put tee with valve in the line so that you
can drain the bad water before starting the pump.
--
RichToyBox

om...

Old 25-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

I will bet dollars to donuts that you either have a rock bottom to your pond
or several inches of gunk that has accumulated. If so, your pond needs
cleaning badly. If the hydrogen sulfide is as bad as you say, then the fish
will have to be removed while the pond is cleaned or they will die.

Please give more detail about the condition of the bottom of your pond.

Lee

Old 11-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Mike Lea-Wilson

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message ...
I will bet dollars to donuts that you either have a rock bottom to your pond
or several inches of gunk that has accumulated. If so, your pond needs
cleaning badly. If the hydrogen sulfide is as bad as you say, then the fish
will have to be removed while the pond is cleaned or they will die.

Please give more detail about the condition of the bottom of your pond.

Lee

Thanks for your reply and the others who suggested H2S. I haven't read
this newsgroup for a while (because of computer problems, reinstalling
Windows etc.) but I have already drained the top pond and cleaned out
about 15cm depth of slimy mud, and refilled it. In the process I found
three fish still alive (and loads of frogs) and transferred them to
the lower pond, where I think they are still OK. I think the next task
is to check for water leaks around the waterfall area so I can leave
the pump on all the time without having to top up too often.

Mike.